Anxiety, insomnia, Dp/Dr

James91

Hi all, just want to get some heads together and thoughts churning, through my research and self experience I am beginning to feel like the Anxiety/sleep issue/Dp/Dr is a bigger deal than it is made out to be, as it could be in part due to a damning causual factor, this being these symptoms are linked to some form of CNS damage, I feel like the insomnia/or anxiety could be due to damage to some or many parts of the CNS system, if we consider the Autonomic nervous system being part of the effected, this could be damage that leaves us in a state of fight or flight (a.k.a a Parasympathetic state) which we feel as anxiety, irregular heart pounding/& or speed and so on, because this system is automatic in function, when damaged it could be impossible to lower back into a normal prolonged sympathetic state (a.k.a Rest and digest state) without meds (especially when sleeping hence the change in sleep and insomnia), this is my worry and foremost alongside the fact that left untreated this will lead to perminant damage not only from lack of sleep but also from the many other issues that arise when we exist in a parasympathetic state for prolonged periods of time, as much as I hate to have to theorise this and point it out if correct I think it is important for many of us to consider as many might go on to exist in comunatively damaging states in the false belief they are just suffering from normal neurotypically anxiety that is within normal control (this being "just anxiety" seems to get banded about a lot) when really many of us need to consider this differently, but also so we can get the acceptence and treatment that should accompany it.

Please fire away your opinions and maybe we can get some heads together on this.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:32 AM, Rodertkarlsson said:

Anxiety insomnia, dpdr are more worrying than visual effects. Insomnia makes me absolutely  crazy. Many suicide attempts. I can't take it anymore. I'm exhausted. I just  want to sleep for a long time. Doomed aloha

Have you tried Melatonin for sleep? I have had some terrible bouts of insomnia and that always helped bring me back into a pattern. Fix your sleep and everything else becomes slightly easier to cope with. Reach out to me if you need anything.

• 1 year later...

@Sara2i've had hppd for around 15 months, very true it's the worser symptoms for me too, they don't seem to have subsided either, I am doing tests to determain what exactly is at fault with me as I took much less than a micrdose of a shroom and am still suffering as much as I am, this leads me to believe my issues are pathogenic, autoimmune or both

@James91 I’m sorry to hear that! Did you try any sleeping meds that helped you? I’m a bit desperate, can’t focus at work any longer and need to call in sick soon. I’m starting to wonder if I also have some kind of underlying issue such as MCAS. I drank a glas of wine yesterday and I’ve been hyperactive the whole night, only been able to sleep 2 hours :( most nights I can sleep at least 5 hours. I’ve been a bit sensitive to histamine in the past so I’m wondering if MCAS was triggered by drinking ayahuasca.. 

• 6 months later...

I can relate to your thoughts. I've had my share of anxiety-related sleep issues, and Dp/Dr. It's important to explore all angles, read useful info like this article fherehab.com, and consider the possibility of CNS involvement. Sometimes, it's more complex than just "normal anxiety." Getting different perspectives can be enlightening. I hope you will be fine!

Edited by BillYates

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think you're onto something with the idea of CNS damage and its connection to the autonomic nervous system. When that system gets thrown off balance, it can make us feel constantly on edge and trapped in fight or flight mode. And you're right, it's not just "normal" anxiety that can be easily controlled. It's important to consider different possibilities and seek the acceptance and treatment we deserve. If you ever need someone to talk to, there are helplines like the depression hotline that can provide valuable support.

Edited by NathanBower

On 3/12/2023 at 9:55 AM, James91 said:

@Sara2i've had hppd for around 15 months, very true it's the worser symptoms for me too, they don't seem to have subsided either, I am doing tests to determain what exactly is at fault with me as I took much less than a micrdose of a shroom and am still suffering as much as I am, this leads me to believe my issues are pathogenic, autoimmune or both

Did you find what you have?

On 1/24/2022 at 3:32 AM, Rodertkarlsson said:

Anxiety insomnia, dpdr are more worrying than visual effects. Insomnia makes me absolutely  crazy. Many suicide attempts. I can't take it anymore. I'm exhausted. I just  want to sleep for a long time. Doomed aloha

I agree that the anxiety and dp/dr are worse than the visuals. I have been where you are, so I understand but PLEASE don’t give up. There are medications, etc., and it seems like a lot of people’s symptoms go down after awhile. I have HPPD 2 and it was so awful but my symptoms faded enough for me to work, get married, and raise four children. It was hard but I was still able to do it. I know your post is over a year old, and I don’t know if you get on the forum anymore, but if so, let us know how you are doing.