HPPD symptoms gone after epileptic seizure

traveller

After a LSD trip of about 175 ug (with a relatively low body weight), I experienced HPPD symptoms for the next couple of days, including persistent river-like movement of patterns and a sense of depersonalisation. I know the time frame of three days after the trip is not long but I still found it remarkable that the symptoms completely disappeared after I had an epileptic seizure. As far as I understand, psychedelic drugs change neural brain structure during a trip in a way that certain connections within the brain, which are normally inhibited, now connect, causing new sensational perceptions. If the brain, maybe due to too high amounts of stress experienced during the trip, does not manage to properly process the changes and fully restore the previous condition, it might get stuck in the imbalance and, therefore, certain symptoms of the trip persist afterwards. Apparently, it has been observed that seizures, which are accompanied by a high release of neurohormones and neurotransmitters, can restore balances of neural brain structures leading to an improvement of mental conditions such as depression. This is why artificially created seizures are still successfully used in electroconvulsive therapy for the treatment of mental disorders. In my case, the seizure might had a similar effect and kind of reset my brain to its previous neural balance. This is just an idea based on my own experience and articles I have read online but I would be curious to hear other thoughts on this and maybe similar experiences. I want to be optimistic that when a drug is able to change the perception in such a persistent way like in the case of HPPD, that there must also be a way to restore the normal perception. To all those who are suffering, stay strong.

Interesting thought, i've always felt that my brain could be reset in some way by electric/magnets or similar. As you say though, a 3 day period is not long enough to draw any conclusions... Before i had hppd, i could feel like shit, mentally, for a few days coming down off drugs, even a quick 5 minute sleep could sometimes make me feel 99% better. 

yeah its interesting. one proposed theory of the origin of hppd relates to seizure activity within the occipital lobe.

also one main medication for HPPD "Klonapin" is used to treat seizure activity..

interesting to see the correlations. 

I myself am back on klonapin now

Edited by Spartan

On 1/7/2022 at 9:45 AM, Jay1 said:

Interesting thought, i've always felt that my brain could be reset in some way by electric/magnets or similar. As you say though, a 3 day period is not long enough to draw any conclusions... Before i had hppd, i could feel like shit, mentally, for a few days coming down off drugs, even a quick 5 minute sleep could sometimes make me feel 99% better. 

A French guy I'im in contact with was cured completely with TMS treatment, I myself will be treated this year hopefully. i'll report here on the results

• 7 months later...

I have always been curious if seizures coudl be a cause or cure for the reasons you mentioned. I have this liek electric hissing tinnitus with my symptoms. I noticed it kept changing slightly whilst i was having an MRI. coincidence?

I also looked into TMS as an option, i thought if this was liek messed up electrical activity in my brain han that might help move it around it that makes sense.

Electro convulsive therapy was considered as a last resort but ive heard it can cause memory problems which i already experience curently from my symptoms.

• 8 months later...
On 1/10/2022 at 1:45 AM, FrozenColdDonut said:

So you had a seizure and your HPPD went away?

How did you have a seizure?

Yes, as soon as I came down from the dizziness following the seizure, I realised that I did not have the symptoms anymore. As far as I know, I do not generally have epilepsy and never had a seizure before. The cause of the seizure remain unclear, even after brain checks in the hospital. The most reasonable explanation is that the seizure was caused by Bupropion (Wellbutrin), a medication against depression I took back then that can cause seizures in some cases. A few days before the seizure I had increased the daily dosage and together with the stress following the LSD trip, it might have triggered the seizure.