Wellbutrin Made My HPPD Worse

drone33

The title pretty much says everything. I tried to use a dopamine reuptake inhibitor because I noticed my HPPD is mostly dopaminergic. It was a mistake to try Wellbutrin when I gave this idea to my doctor. My cognition got way worse, as well as my anxiety and OCD. As of now, the symptoms haven't improved much, and the visuals remain the same as when I started the Wellbutrin. Visual snow at full force, when I use to mainly not even notice it before.

Don't use this shit, ever. Most people don't get much out of it and there's only been one success story: for depression. Not for HPPD. It's pure garbage.

Hoping to get better these following days, but I'm pretty sure I caused some permanent damage. I can't really tell or predict what will happen.

My last dose was on Wednesday

As of now, cognition is almost back to pre-Wellbutrin levels. Not quite yet, but I'd say a 75-80% recovery. Anxiety has also recovered by about 60-65%. Depression had been coming back pre-Wellbutrin change, so I'm mildly depressed but Wellbutrin made it worse. On depression I'd say there's a 60% recovery too.

Zero percent recovery on visuals. Visual Snow is my only problem at this point, there's no other visual symptoms like tracers, palinopsia, BEFF or anything else. My HPPD had almost been visually cured with most visual symptoms gone, but now visual snow is just as bad as when I first got HPPD. I'm expecting this to reverse, but there's no way to tell.

Neuropsychological symptoms might improve after you withdraw Wellbutrin, but if visuals are your main issue, don't even dare to take this, because I have no idea when my vision's already made recovery will come back.

Edited by drone33

• 1 year later...
On 4/13/2019 at 12:14 AM, drone33 said:

The title pretty much says everything. I tried to use a dopamine reuptake inhibitor because I noticed my HPPD is mostly dopaminergic. It was a mistake to try Wellbutrin when I gave this idea to my doctor. My cognition got way worse, as well as my anxiety and OCD. As of now, the symptoms haven't improved much, and the visuals remain the same as when I started the Wellbutrin. Visual snow at full force, when I use to mainly not even notice it before.

Don't use this shit, ever. Most people don't get much out of it and there's only been one success story: for depression. Not for HPPD. It's pure garbage.

Hoping to get better these following days, but I'm pretty sure I caused some permanent damage. I can't really tell or predict what will happen.

Wellbutrin gave me HPPD. 

Edited by J_S

My initial symptoms I thought would just go away (you always read about how sometimes antidepressants/antianxiety meds can sometimes have side effects that subside so I figured that's what these symptoms were). First week I noticed only when writing that my hands were a little shaky.  Eventually I developed visual snow in half my vision, saw colors vividly (as if on hallucinogens; never done any but I imagine that's what they see), and felt a sense of being afraid to be around people.

Immediately stopped that crap and a week later I developed visual snow in all of my vision and have blue etopic phenomenon. Weeks later at night I developed palinopsia (light trailing) and halos (both at night only). Oh and I recently developed tinnitus in one ear only that comes and goes. 

Edited by J_S

On 8/22/2020 at 7:06 PM, SS1 said:

My initial symptoms I thought would just go away (you always read about how sometimes antidepressants/antianxiety meds can sometimes have side effects that subside so I figured that's what these symptoms were). First week I noticed only when writing that my hands were a little shaky.  Eventually I developed visual snow in half my vision, saw colors vividly (as if on hallucinogens; never done any but I imagine that's what they see), and felt a sense of being afraid to be around people.

Immediately stopped that crap and a week later I developed visual snow in all of my vision and have blue etopic phenomenon. Weeks later at night I developed palinopsia (light trailing) and halos (both at night only). Oh and I recently developed tinnitus in one ear only that comes and goes. 

This is really fascinating.

• 11 months later...
11 hours ago, Joej said:

Does it go away once u stop causeing im doing that now 

It may take some time but it definitely will improve for sure.

Thank you for reporting your case by the way im going to look farther in to wellbutrin on this.

Edited by Fawkinchit

20 hours ago, Joej said:

So there will alway be symptoms just gets better?

With HPPD its really hard to say what the outcome will be, some people get to the point that they have relatively no noticeable symptoms, others do not, time really right now is the only way to tell. If you got it from a normal dose of wellbutrin though I would be amazing if you end up with permanent symptoms, I also will be amazed if your symptoms are even significant compared to typical cases of HPPD. How bad are your symptoms? Did you ever do drugs at all in the past, or while on wellbutrin?