What are my chances? Looking for support and compassion

you_are_worthy

Hi all,

Twelve days ago, I (33yo male) took 150mg + 60mg MDMA in a therapeutic setting. Over the next couple days, I started to notice increased light sensitivity, visual snow, afterimages, and shimmering of fine patters. Reading is more difficult, and I have started to develop symptoms of panic. This was my first experience with MDMA and HPPD symptoms. I have smoked weed twice in my life and took a small dose of psilocybin truffles once, and neither time had symptoms.

What do you think my chances of recovery are? I know there's no straight answer but you all seem to have some experience. Looking for support, compassion, and any advice you'd like to give. I plan to abstain from all drugs indefinitely. 

Thanks, sending good vibes to you all 🙏

Edited by you_are_worthy

Twelve days isn't much time.  You may just be experiencing the remnants of your recent experience.  I'm not a doctor or a medical professional.  That being said, in my opinion, you're going to be fine because your symptoms sound mild.  I realize it may not feel that way because it's happening to you, and I'm not trying to minimize what you're going through.  Hppd can be debilitating and it sounds like you're doing pretty well.  Stay clear of psychedelics and cannabis.  Try not to put too much focus on the symptoms you're experiencing.  Instead, focus on your daily tasks, challenges, and fun.  

Take care of yourself, and hang in there.

• Like 2

MadDoc has covered it well there. the majority of people who sign up on here tend to stop posting after a couple of months, which suggests that most cases of hppd heal after a while (this is backed up with anecdotal evidence from speaking to people via PM here). Try not to stress about it for now. I wouldn't even read up too much about it. Just eat well, excercise, take your mind off it any way you can. 

This does add to my fear about the sudden gold rush towards mdma/lsd as a legitimate therapeutic treatment though.

• Like 3

@MadDoc @Jay1 thank you both, your support and kindness means a lot right now.

And @Jay1 I'm with you there--I work in mental health and was thrilled to hear about the success rates of these therapies, but I haven't seen HPPD or other lingering effects get much airtime at all. Looks like we have more work to do around harm reduction...

• 1 month later...

@Jay1 @you_are_worthy MDMA (and cannabis) defintely helped me overcome a lot of my issues with PTSD that I've had for 25 yrs but that the consequence has been VS/HPPD has impacted my life now even more negatively. There is a lot of potential in these drugs to treat different kind of mental health issues but obviously for some of us there are some major risks associated with it.

Edited by sami

I think these MDMA/LSD therapy treatments need to be held to the same strict levels as medications, with a very clear set of potential side effects. Needs to be fully regulated

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Jay1  I couldn't agree more.  Drugs like LSD and MDMA seem to help some people.  However, it needs to approached carefully, be monitored, and combined with more traditional therapies.  Regulation and accountability of the care provider should be carefully monitored.

• Like 1

Yep... I'm not even against it in the slightest (I've seen a depressed friend go from suicidal to pretty much cured from Ketamine treatment)... But the goldrush scares me and it is being marketed or spoke about as a "safe" alternative.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...