For those that have gone through university post-hppd

Sam93

Was it difficult? I'm considering going to university but due to the cognitive defects of HPPD I'm not sure how easy I'm going to find it, especially with the memory impairment. 

Has anyone been through university since onset of HPPD, and if so, how was it for you?

• Upvote 1

What would you like to study?

I study physics and mathematics, and am going back to university in a couple of weeks. I got HPPD on the very first day of summer vacation, so I can't tell you what studying with HPPD will be like just yet. But I'm somewhat anxious about it - mostly the social situations, though!

I've been reading a bit of mathematical physics (this book), and I've found that I'm able to comprehend it just about as well as before, though I do find myself re-reading some paragraphs a few times. It should be noted, I guess, that I was somewhat of a "straight A student" in physics/mathematics before acquiring HPPD. I'm determined not to let this crap get in the way of doing what I like!

i failed my bachelors degree.  I always assumed my hppd would improve, and just needed one more year and i could recover lost ground next year. This never happened, i retook my last year and came out with zilch.  I subsequently took an open access MSc and came out with a merit after extending a year - my hppd and attitude had improved a little since the bachelors, plus i had some modafinil.  On last day of msc i discovered nac, and would be confident doing a course now i think, if it was not too demanding.

I got my BSc in computer science. Took some psych papers along the way which i really enjoyed.

I know my marks could have been better if i didnt have hppd. maybe they would have been better if i had never used drugs full stop.

I feel that having DR made it harder to concentrate. And of course any associated depression/anxiety doesn't help with study.

Give it a go. Don't ever let your disorder become an excuse for resignation!

I did it, but it was pretty stressful, at times.... But it is worth it, my life is much better having studied something i love and have now turned into my profession (Audio/Visual)

I think forcing myself to be social and having goals to achieve really helped me getting over the very worst of my hppd too

Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a go then, I'm at college at the moment as I decided to go back and am doing just fine, aside from having probably a few more bad days than I would if I didn't have hppd, so I guess it's worth giving it a go.

Definitely give it a try man, give yourself some serious determination. I'm about to finish my last year of uni doing music.. last couple of years were a bit foggy for me and I didn't always make it in.. I certainly couldn't hack the 10 hour a day practice that my peers were doing! Two if I was lucky.. but I've done alright- in my case, technique is not always necessarily the most important thing.. vibe is ;-) 
In other words - don't suppose you've read a book called Emotional Intelligence? In a nutshell, it's about dispelling the idea that having a high IQ and being super clever etc. is important.. actually people that succeed more, are people that are.. good with people.. funnily enough!
So even though I know you need to work and concentrate and stuff, good supplementation and determination should be enough. It would be tough, the cognitive dyfunction is the biggest killer for me, you can overcome that to a reasonable enough degree though I think!
Good luck man!

• 4 weeks later...

So, September came around. I've been back to uni for three days (for the first time since my HPPD became much worse).

It's been tough, no question about it. I took a benzo on 1st and 2nd day, while I didn't today.

I haven't really been able to gauge my cognitive function before, but now that I'm actually being challenged intellectually, I can definitely say that my cognitive abilities are not back to normal. 

Today I had to walk out during a class, since I was unable to concentrate on my physics problems. It is quite depressing, but I'm hoping it'll get better sooner rather than later :)

So, September came around. I've been back to uni for three days (for the first time since my HPPD became much worse).

It's been tough, no question about it. I took a benzo on 1st and 2nd day, while I didn't today.

I haven't really been able to gauge my cognitive function before, but now that I'm actually being challenged intellectually, I can definitely say that my cognitive abilities are not back to normal. 

Today I had to walk out during a class, since I was unable to concentrate on my physics problems. It is quite depressing, but I'm hoping it'll get better sooner rather than later :)

Ah, sorry to hear of your troubles.

Maybe since studying with hppd is relatively new to you, you just need a little time to get used to studying in this altered state.

All the best!

I've had HPPD for 17 years or so, and I have 2 masters degrees, from a top 10 school. I'm planning on getting a third from a top 5 next year.

Although i can't be certain, HPPD may have helped me along the way. In addition to HPPD, i've also suffered from side effects of concussions, and I feel better when I continually prove to myself that I can 'hang' with some of the smartest people in the world. It validates to me that I haven't done disastrous damage to my mind.

Without HPPD or the concussions, perhaps I would be fat, drunk and stupid.

Regardless, HPPD has not diminished your intellect. It just makes it difficult to concentrate.

If you're studying what you're passionate about, you'll do just fine.

Be well.

• Upvote 1