Why do SSRIs increase hppd and symptoms in some people ?

• 2 weeks later...

Because SSRI's and many other antidepressants binds to the 5HT2a receptor, just like the recreational drugs that can cause this, that is, psychedelics, cocaine and THC. These psychiatric drugs also possess hallucinogetic properties, >1% actually get hallucinations as a side effect from SSRI's. So antidepressants can in rare cases cause HPPD by itself, so it's not wierd that it worsens it for some.

Edited by Hall89

4 hours ago, Hall89 said:

Because SSRI's and many other antidepressants binds to the 5HT2a receptor, just like the recreational drugs that can cause this, that is, psychedelics, cocaine and THC. These psychiatric drugs also possess hallucinogetic properties, >1% actually get hallucinations as a side effect from SSRI's. So antidepressants can in rare cases cause HPPD by itself, so it's not wierd that it worsens it for some.

Yes that's why I try to stay away from these substances and only like GABA and endorphin inducing activities and substances. Buspirone affects serotonin but is classified as a anxiolytic instead of a anti-depressant but it kind of makes you less depressed which seems like it's also an anti-depressant in a way. Either ways, it is one of the well tolerated pharmaceuticals.

• 7 months later...

I hate SSRI’s but I’m on several other meds so I’m not really sure now how it affects my HPPD. Before I got on Klonopin, I was depressed and tried Prozac. All it did was worsen my visuals and make me feel dissociated, so I stopped taking it after about a week. Right now I am on 100 mg of Zoloft. I don’t even think it works except to “blunt” me, which is even more depressing 😕