Verapamil

Full link here.

Calcium Channel Blockers

*as this drug has been posted in the last two years as having some benefit, I thought I would pass this along. Whatever the etiology of hppd, glutamate seems to play a role in a large majority of people. Some find therapeutic benefit in drugs like lamictal, another calcium channel blocker, which also calms down microglia/astrocyte activation and this glutamate release. 

Now in to the drug: 

Verapamil is an L-type calcium channel blocker used to treat angina and hypertension, and is also used to treat cerebral vasospasm secondary to subarachnoid hemorrhage (46). It was the first calcium channel antagonist to be introduced into therapy (in the early 1960s) (47). As anti-hypertensive drugs, calcium channel blockers target a modifiable risk factor for stroke, but additional evidence indicate they have a neuroprotective action based on their ability to minimize carotid intima-media thickening (48) and the fact that intracellular calcium dysregulation can trigger ischemic cell death (49). A phase I clinical trial, completed in 2016, demonstrated neuroprotective activity of Verapamil when administered together with tPA and/or mechanical thrombectomy (NCT02235558). Combining the use of Verapamil with direct intra-arterial administration rapidly restored the cerebral artery, and may offer an opportunity to translate bench-side neuroprotective effects into bed-side success (46). This SAVER phase 1 clinical trial revealed the addition of Verapamil to thrombectomy, produced no thromboembolic complications. Due to the limited sample size of only 11 patients, this study did not have the power to demonstrate Verapamil's efficacy. Future studies should assess neuroprotection in regard to comorbidities and gender. There is an ongoing phase I study testing this agent for neuroprotection in stroke patients, which is estimated to be completed in the spring of 2020 (NCT03347786).

Edited by Onemorestep

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I don't know if that's relevant or not but I experience great relief with Lyrica which is an antiepileptic too. I can live somewhat normally since I take this drug

I enjoy lyrica. I used to take it occasionally but found that the withdrawals were increasingly worse each time I stopped. The last time I was super anxious for a week 

if you stop, taper. 

I prefer Gabapentin.