Visual snow, Palinopsia before and after 1st use of Ecstasy/MDMA

In 2011, during a month, I developed a lot of neurological symptoms (I was 20 and then only marijuana several times in my life) - visual snow, palinopsia after images, floaters and tingling of the whole body (24/7), muscle fasciculations.
In 2011-2014 I was diagnosed comprehensively (MRI, cerebrospinal fluid, evoked visual potentials, blood etc.). It only turned out that I was infected with Bartonella. I treated myself for several weeks according to ILADS, but finally I gave up. I have learned to live with these symptoms since accepting treatment failure in 2014. Now some of the symptoms are gone, some are still present (like VS, body tingling).

Now to the point. A week ago I had the opportunity to take half a pill of ecstasy/mdma (it was my first time in my life, I only thought that LSD can cause permanent vision problems, so under the influence of alcohol I took half a pill). That night I also drunked a loooot of vodka and beer. And I don't remeber second half of the night.
The next day I sobered up and read that MDMA may also cause/worse with HPPD/ VS. I got stressed and think my visual symptoms have got a little worse. But I wonder if it's not that under stress and paying attention to visual snow, palinopsia - I just see them more...?

1. Is there anyone here who caused (or worsened) visual snow, palinopsia - after images by ONLY ONE (1st) USE ecstasy / mdma ? I took a half a pill and drink a lot of alcohol (Does alcohol weaken the effect of ecstasy in the brain?)

2. Does it pass someone or is it permanent forever?

Edited by terye90

20 hours ago, badhalfsack said:

You will be okay. Try to relax.

ps. I also work in a company that requires a good english speak, how is my english going? lol.

Hi, thanks for your reply, it gave me a lot! I easily understood everything so I can assume that there are not any problems with your language skills :)

Do you remember the start of your symptoms before drugs or do you think you have them since birth?

Greets from Poland!

You made a mistake (taking mdma), you cannot reverse that mistake... So try to learn from it (don't get so drunk that you take mdma again!) and then put it out of your mind. Dwelling on unfixable problems is just wasted energy. 

Mdma can make you worse (a lot worse), so try to stay away from those situations. Also, getting so drunk that you can't remember can also make hppd much worse, so be aware of your drinking levels.

1 hour ago, Jay1 said:

You made a mistake (taking mdma), you cannot reverse that mistake... So try to learn from it (don't get so drunk that you take mdma again!) and then put it out of your mind. Dwelling on unfixable problems is just wasted energy. 

Mdma can make you worse (a lot worse), so try to stay away from those situations. Also, getting so drunk that you can't remember can also make hppd much worse, so be aware of your drinking levels.

Thanks! You are right
Two questions:
1. When you already have a HPPD/VS smoking weed (only once) it is also mistake (like taking once MDMA), am I right?
2. Worsening of symptoms after such one taking mdma (100 mg) - how long can it take to get back to state as before ?

5 hours ago, terye90 said:

Thanks! You are right
Two questions:
1. When you already have a HPPD/VS smoking weed (only once) it is also mistake (like taking once MDMA), am I right?
2. Worsening of symptoms after such one taking mdma (100 mg) - how long can it take to get back to state as before ?

I'm also chatting to you on reddit, so answering similar questions /jimmybirch

1) All psychoactive substances have the risk of making your symptoms worse.

2) No one knows, everyone is different... Could be a few days, could be never.

14 minutes ago, Jay1 said:

I'm also chatting to you on reddit, so answering similar questions /jimmybirch

1) All psychoactive substances have the risk of making your symptoms worse.

2) No one knows, everyone is different... Could be a few days, could be never.

Ok, it's just my curiosity - the  "hierarchy" of harmfulness/risk for HPPD looks like this LSD> MDMA> WEED> ALCOHOL?

13 hours ago, terye90 said:

Ok, it's just my curiosity - the  "hierarchy" of harmfulness/risk for HPPD looks like this LSD> MDMA> WEED> ALCOHOL?

For me, and we are all different.... I am ok with a few beers, my anxiety is a bit higher the next day, but doesn't seem to make me worse, long term (but heavy drinking does). Weed makes me psychotic. LSD and MDMA are out of the question.

But it's is an unfair question to ask.... What If I said weed was less harmful than LSD... You go out and smoke weed and have a full mental breakdown that you never recover from... That's then partly on me.

If you are so desperate to carry on drug taking, you're just gonna have to use your own intuition... and then only take the minimum amount you need to feel good.

1 hour ago, Jay1 said:

For me, and we are all different.... I am ok with a few beers, my anxiety is a bit higher the next day, but doesn't seem to make me worse, long term (but heavy drinking does). Weed makes me psychotic. LSD and MDMA are out of the question.

But it's is an unfair question to ask.... What If I said weed was less harmful than LSD... You go out and smoke weed and have a full mental breakdown that you never recover from... That's then partly on me.

If you are so desperate to carry on drug taking, you're just gonna have to use your own intuition... and then only take the minimum amount you need to feel good.

Thanks. Is there any meds (or other things) that could help we visual symptoms and reduced them (temporary or permanent, whatever)?

• 2 years later...

It's possible that taking ecstasy, even just once, can cause or worsen visual symptoms. Even more so if you used alcohol. However, keep in mind that the relationship between drug use and the development of HPPD isn't clear. There are many factors that can contribute to the onset and severity of symptoms. Some people may experience symptoms for a short period, while others may have them for much longer. In some cases, these symptoms may be permanent. A healthcare professional may be able to help you understand the cause of your symptoms. Don't be afraid to seek advice. I did the same after I decided to buy 2fdck online and had some strange effects. I hope I helped.

Edited by CameronManning