Is it normal to think about it all the time? Symptoms of hppd

gabriel

I came to talk to you about my symptoms a little bit. I'm Brazilian, so if I say something wrong, I apologize, but I'm still not fluent in English.

About 11 months ago I tried lsd with a friend, after an hour we used weed, and after that I had a very bad trip. Only today I was able to find this forum, because until then I did not even know what I really have. After using lsd, I have never used lsd or weed again. Since then, I have a lot of anxiety, sometimes I feel very depressed, and I really feel some visual effects, such as sensitivity to light, things seem to vibrate a little, and it seems that sometimes I see traces in moving things.

What makes me bad is that I can never stop thinking about it all, I try to fight against my own mind not to think about it, but it's very difficult, when I realize it, I'm thinking about it. From what I understand I have hppd, but is it normal for me to think about it constantly? Sometimes I think I'm going to go crazy.

This site was very inspiring to me, until then I was very afraid of what happened to me, and not knowing that there are so many other people with the same problem. So, THANK YOU for making me a little calmer. I will accompany you always now, hoping that I will improve. Thank you.

My visual symptoms have been so bad over the last 2.5 years since getting HPPD that I literally could not ignore them no matter what. I had streamers that would last for a good second after moving objects passed in front of me. My best advice is to stay busy. Working is probably the best thing you can do. In my experience free time is just about the worst with HPPD because I immediately focus on my symptoms for whatever reason. 

• Upvote 1

Give yourself some time.  Your first psychedelic experience can leave you rattled for a while.  The good news is you've only dosed once, and you've decided to stop.  Chances are your symptoms will moderate but give yorself some time.  I think it's perfectly natural to focus on residual effects of psychedelics.  It's a powerful experience and it can change you to some extent.  I found simple acceptance of my condition, getting focused, and moving on with my life helped.  Don't give up and don't let it get the best of you.

I wish I had learned my lesson after my first dose.  Instead it left me wanting to do it more and more. You are very wise to stay clean.

On 07/11/2017 at 0:09 AM, K.B.Fante said:

My visual symptoms have been so bad over the last 2.5 years since getting HPPD that I literally could not ignore them no matter what. I had streamers that would last for a good second after moving objects passed in front of me. My best advice is to stay busy. Working is probably the best thing you can do. In my experience free time is just about the worst with HPPD because I immediately focus on my symptoms for whatever reason. 

Thank you for your story @K.B.Fante. It must be very difficult to deal with this for a long time, but I believe that time makes a people at least get used to it. 

16 minutes ago, MadDoc said:

Give yourself some time.  Your first psychedelic experience can leave you rattled for a while.  The good news is you've only dosed once, and you've decided to stop.  Chances are your symptoms will moderate but give yorself some time.  I think it's perfectly natural to focus on residual effects of psychedelics.  It's a powerful experience and it can change you to some extent.  I found simple acceptance of my condition, getting focused, and moving on with my life helped.  Don't give up and don't let it get the best of you.

I wish I had learned my lesson after my first dose.  Instead it left me wanting to do it more and more. You are very wise to stay clean.

Thank you @MadDoc, It's very comforting to know that I can improve. Maybe not 100%, but I think if I can control anxiety and panic attacks, I'll feel much better. I think it's crazy to have stayed like this for half an LSD, so I'd rather not use it again. I think my psychological is too weak to be tested. Thanks for the words, I will continue the fight.

I say this in almost every post, and I'm going to say it again.  What helped my anxiety is daily meditation practice.  It teaches your mind to focus on "now" instead of living in the past or fearing the future.  It takes a while to start working and you have to practice daily.  You don't need a guru or crystals or any thing.  Search for "mindfulness meditation".  There are a lot of sites that describe the practice.  Take care.

Edited by MadDoc
Foolish typing

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2017 at 9:06 PM, MadDoc said:

I say this in almost every post, and I'm going to say it again.  What helped my anxiety is daily meditation practice.  It teaches your mind to focus on "now" instead of living in the past or fearing the future.  It takes a while to start working and you have to practice daily.  You don't need a guru or crystals or any thing.  Search for "mindfulness meditation".  There are a lot of sites that describe the practice.  Take care.

Dude, you told me something that really was very useful to me in the last few months. The thing that made me feel the symptoms the least was meditate and always put on the mind "live the present, the past and the future do not matter" and it is very beneficial for me. I am gradually ignoring the symptoms.I'm even thinking about doing hypnosis therapy. Hypnosis has brought great benefits to people with depression and anxiety.

On 20/11/2017 at 1:28 AM, LethargicAcid said:

its called obsession or OCD

I would not say I have OCD, it seems more like the memory in my head that I have these visual effects.

@gabriel

I'm very happy to hear the mindfulness practice is starting to show some benefit!  Maintaining the practice can help with blood pressure, conflict, stress, mental focus, and of course, anxiety.  The benefits improve over time if one keeps practising.  I learned the practice at a local teaching hospital.  When my doctor suggested I go I thought it was bunk.  I was wrong.  I think it saved my life or at the very least, my sanity.  Again, wonderful news!

14 hours ago, MadDoc said:

@gabriel

I'm very happy to hear the mindfulness practice is starting to show some benefit!  Maintaining the practice can help with blood pressure, conflict, stress, mental focus, and of course, anxiety.  The benefits improve over time if one keeps practising.  I learned the practice at a local teaching hospital.  When my doctor suggested I go I thought it was bunk.  I was wrong.  I think it saved my life or at the very least, my sanity.  Again, wonderful news!

yeah, meditation has helped me a lot more than anything external. As much as anxiety sometimes insists, always telling myself that I'm okay and that I'm not crazy is working very well for me hahaha. Thanks for your help! ^_^

1 hour ago, gabriel said:

yeah, meditation has helped me a lot more than anything external. As much as anxiety sometimes insists, always telling myself that I'm okay and that I'm not crazy is working very well for me hahaha. Thanks for your help! ^_^

I didn't do anything.  You helped yourself.  Realizing we have some level of control over our own minds is a step toward wellness.  Not only for those with hppd but everyone.  

Edited by MadDoc
Foolish typing