might have to drink my way out of this one

Drinking alcohol has almost zero negative effects on my HPPD. When I'm hungover I see some yellow shit but not really any worse than the blue shit I see when sober. Lately I've been having terrible depression and suicidal thoughts. But the only time I feel ok is when I'm drunk. I'm taking next semester off of school so maybe I'll just get drunk a lot until/if my hppd goes away. I know it seems like a shitty idea but its the lesser of two evils. I have a history of depression and was basically an alcoholic for a few months but came out unscathed. I know one thing for sure is that hppd has sent me into a self destructive depression and if I'm not constantly sedated I will probably try to harm myself again. I see my therapist tomorrow and will talk to him. If you resorted to drinking from your hppd please share if it helped or hurt.

I understand your pain man. Most of us do. We've all been there. I had some bad thoughts the other day. And I don't blame you for wanting to get drunk and forget about it. I'd actually encourage you to drink a bit and have fun as long as you're 100 percent positive it won't make your symptoms worse long term. BUT, taking a semester off just to drink is a terrible idea. You can do that when you're going to classes. You should try and work on something, strive towards something, do something significant, something that will make you feel good about yourself, like volunteering for different humanitarian causes or something along those lines. It doesn't have to be anything crazy or expensive but ample free time mixed with HPPD is not a good recipe for success -- trust me on that one. And if you're depressed, drinking is only gonna make you even more depressed. Then you're gonna be even worse off than you are right now. I don't think that sounds like a good idea. 

You have a choice. You can either give in or you can keep fighting. It sounds like you're close to giving in. Again, I've been there... many times. But you just have to find a way to make it through. If you want to drink a few days and get it all out of your system, please be my guest. But doing that for months on end is just an absolutely terrible idea. 

What's really interesting about your post to me, is that alcohol helped me A LOT in the beginning as well.  I first developed urticaria (hives) as my premier symptom with the visual and auditory changes I was experiencing, and I noticed as soon as I started drinking, the hives would go away.  I felt much better and happier also.

I've been trying to find a way to explain this, but haven't been successful.  In any account, I say drink a little if it helps.  But, for me, it stopped helping after a while and started to make things worse so be careful how much you drink.

Trip,

You're passionate about it, I get that...but you know how different these problems are for everyone.  When I was 16, I started getting hives...the first thing I tried was antihistamines -- Benadryl, Zyrtec and Allegra.  Imagine my shock when I woke up the next morning after taking these antihistamines covered up to my neck in larger welts and hives...then I go to a friends house and have a couple beers the next night after it had calmed down, and my hives vanish.  What would you do?

Believe me, I've tried A LOT of things... Nothing worked.

The bigger question might not by what to use, but what in fact alcohol is doing that is helping to calm the symptoms.  It must be blocking certain receptors or ion channels...

Alcohol massively boosts gaba, so that is why alot of people get anxiety relief from it... It is, to this day, the only thing that makes me feel comfortable in a social situation... Benzos do a decent enough job, but don't make me feel like my old self.... Relaxed and able to make jokes, speak to new people etc.

It is not a way to medicate though... 2 pints of beer reduces serotonin levels by 80% for upto 24 hours, so it is having a crazy effect on neuro chemistry. If you have depression, it is one of the worst ways to medicate, even though you might feel happy while drunk. That's without even thinking about psychical issues and addiction potential.

Age plays a part too.... When i first got hppd, i was 16 and alcohol didn't seem to have much effect on the hppd... By the time I was about 20-21 though... Hangovers had become full on bad trips... My worst hangovers have been the most insane and disturbed times of my life.

Tread carefully.

granite im sure there is a natural solution...there are always several natural ways to help with different conditions the problem is we mostly dont know them cause the pharmaceutical industry is (and was always) doing a great job tellung us their chemicals are good for us and has no interest of heaing us its more about symptom suppression with bad and serious side effects..the question is, is this worth to destroy our health just for instant symptom relief if there is a way better solution out there?!..its your life im not judging.

+ dont forget that legal drugs have somehow always been the worst for health..how ironic

beer is not only containing alcohol  did you try a hop extract., maybe that was what helped you idk..or black cumin (seed) oil against the hives its expensive and widely unknown but very good for health in general.

jay as you know i have anxiety issues and unfortunately alcohol never helped me i just felt a little more anxious or no change at all at low doses and when i drink more i will be guaranteed to freak out...kratom did the best job in low doses...people are different..im sure what substances have the ability of giving relief depends on what causes anxiety. for the individual (what leads to the fear),..for me its dizzyness and the thought that im losing control and go crazy.

I watched a program about how alcohol does different things to people, based on their genetics. Some get angry, some relaxed, some have no effect, some get sad etc etc. I am sure that extends to the anti anxiety properties too.

Jay, your experience is much akin to mine.  I was also 16 when I developed HPPD, and when I drank the first couple years it was like a silver bullet.  Until the age of 18, then I start having other problems related to anxiety, digestion, skin, and cognition and I noticed alcohol was making these problems worse.

Interesting about GABA.  I've tried to take GABA directly as a supplement and it causes anxiety.

Jay, your experience is much akin to mine.  I was also 16 when I developed HPPD, and when I drank the first couple years it was like a silver bullet.  Until the age of 18, then I start having other problems related to anxiety, digestion, skin, and cognition and I noticed alcohol was making these problems worse.

Interesting about GABA.  I've tried to take GABA directly as a supplement and it causes anxiety.

the strange thing is that it causes anxiety for you since all the gaba release based meds like for example benzos..are very effective against anxiety...mostly it is serotonin that causes anxiety which i realized when i tried various anti depressants.

Well my clonazepam dose has been upped to 2mg a day and thats helping, my keppra dose is 1 gram a day. I actually found that having a beer or two or a glass of wine helps chill me out without effecting my symptoms. luckilly tobacco doesn't make it worse anymore so I guess I am healing. It seems to me that having hppd is a constant choice of the lesser of two evils. I throw a dip in when i feel like abusing my klonopin and it chills me out a bit. Definitely still avoiding caffeine at all cost. it seems that the general rule is any stimulant makes hppd worse.

also being hungover just kinda changes my hppd instead of making it worse like my blue shit turns to yellow cloudy shit. I kinda hit a real low spot lately and got suicidal with engineering finals and my ex dumping me when I opened up to her about hppd so I got hammered a few times. really I guess what messed me up was feeling like I can never have another relationship, finish college, get a career, start a family ect...

• 1 month later...

alcohol is always a bad choice to medicate yourself with...no matter what condition you have to deal with...

...cbd is very nice to treat psychotic symptoms and (many others) like anxiety, dp/dr etc with no side effects.....btw. my high cbd strain grow is done and now i do what i love so much (smoking weed)...cause it doesnt cause me panic or panic attacks since its a medicinal strain with low thc and high cbd...its just so nice and smells like heaven...it makes me laugh when im on it :D

• Upvote 1