Strange appointment with neurologist

chrismo

I have just returned from an appointment with a neurologist who has experience dealing with patients with HPPD. Strangely, he said that although the vast majority of the people he has seen have been young or students their HPPD was not drug-related and he does not believe drugs are the cause. It sounded to me like a lot of them weren't being entirely candid, but still. Weird. Despite his experience of treating HPPD patients he was unaware of drugs such as Keppra or Sinemet being prescribed for the condition and seemed puzzled as to why they would be. Needless to say I'm very disappointed and despondent. This guy was supposed to be one of the best in the country for HPPD and the appointment was very expensive. He did, however, prescribe me Clonazepam and has reffered me for an EEG. Eh.

• Upvote 2

LOL. I think that's the case -mg. chloroform will cure everything. Whenever I say to docs or pdocs here 'yeah, but in America.....' They roll their eyes. It's not like Brits haven't been taking drugs for decades like you Yanks as well. Bloody cross border communications has come on leaps and bounds since the invention of the Internet but you still wouldn't know it sometimes in the medical profession here.

Klono and an EEG is a start though chris. HPPD not drug related though? How gullible is this neurologist?

Anti-climactic certainly. Yeah, I think the next step is to put leeches on my eyes and smash a hole in my skull with a rock.

Gullible, or possibly just worringly ignorant. He didn't ask me at any point about past drug use; I had to volunteer that information. Seemed convinced that drugs were not the issue and that a lot of the symptoms are just 'hypersensitivity'.

Sammy, no it wasn't Dr Ffytche. I'm having real trouble getting a refferal to see him and I can't get a private appointment at the clinic he works at without insurance.

Ah damn hopefully I don't have trouble I have to get approval from my local primary care trust which I'm hoping isn't going to be an issue it's all very frustrating keppra is an anti-convulsants which are generally used to treat visual snow I've read that many places on the Internet keppra is a well tolerated anti-convulsant I don't understand doctors who don't want to try it it's not as if it's a drug we would want to try or abuse we don't think mmm can't wait to get that keppra fix lol

Was this Dr. Green? I know that he is aware of people with our symptoms, but didn't think he was an 'expert'. It surprises me that he doesn't think drugs are the problem - it's well known that although you can get these symptoms without drug use, you can also clearly get it from drug use as well. Sounds dissapointing - glad I never saw him myself now.

Dr. ffytche doesn't do private appointments. I think the only way to see him is to get your NHS primary care trust to agree to fund you - no easy task (don't know if there is some way around this with insurance). I'll keep trying but have got nowhere yet. But if you do get to see him I'm sure it would be very beneficial - I have spoken to him over the phone and he really knows what he is talking about. He has also written briefly about HPPD in a research paper or two.

I wouldn't pay for an EEG privately personally, since it'll most likely come back normal. You can get one fairly quickly through the NHS once you have seen a neurologist (had mine a couple of weeks after neuro appointment if I remember correctly).

It was Dr Plant, not Dr Green. Definitely think Dr ffytche is the best person to see. I have corresponded with him by email myself and he certainly seems like he could help. But yeah, really difficult to get an appointment with him. Frustrating.

Don't forget the vast, vast majority of us on here that tried Keprra and Sinamet guinea pigged ourselves.... There has only ever, to my knowledge, been one case study about Keppra helping "flashback" patients.... So don't be too worried that he doesn't know about that connection. Similar with Sinemet, I think it was involved with the latest Dr.Abraham test, but with an add-on med. I'm not sure his results have even been published.... It was only leaks around the forum that got everyone hyped about Sinemet.

It was Dr Plant, not Dr Green. Definitely think Dr ffytche is the best person to see. I have corresponded with him by email myself and he certainly seems like he could help. But yeah, really difficult to get an appointment with him. Frustrating.

Dr. Plant is indeed the one I was thinking of, not sure where Dr. Green came from!

Strangely, he said that although the vast majority of the people he has seen have been young or students their HPPD was not drug-related and he does not believe drugs are the cause. It sounded to me like a lot of them weren't being entirely candid.

Interesting. Mine is not drug related but would guess you are right about people being 'candid'.

he was unaware of drugs such as Keppra or Sinemet being prescribed for the condition and seemed puzzled as to why they would be

Increasing dopamine to treat HPPD is the 'cutting edge' research via Dr A. Don't think there has been any offical testing of Keppra. It is as Jay says.

It is interesting though, that I saw a brain injury neuro and he was well aware of using dopamine agonists to treat brain injuries ... so my visual improvement with this type of med wasn't a surprize to him.

All but one doctor, Dr. Henry David Abraham, has had any experience with HPPD. I was recently sent from my long-term primary care doctor group because my issue was "clearly beyond the scope of their care."

I can understand this.

Visiting a doctor is difficult for me, which you would think should be a breeze. I have to see any doctor I can because I don't have the luxury any longer.

It is hard to tell a doctor, "I have a disorder, it is called X, and I know you never heard of it and I can tell by your questions. Who diagnosed me? [Point to Dr. Abraham info]. I also had Dr. Abraham read my Senior thesis on the disorder [point to hardbound text] and have written and conducted original research. So, if you need to consult with someone, it would be me.

Then I give up if it looks like they think I have a form of delusional thinking disorder and say:

JUST GOOGLE ME.

I'll be glad to show you what happened (with copies of my actual medical records).

- David

An update on the Clonazepam: can't believe I wasn't prescribed this earlier. My visuals have reduced slightly and I have gone from feeling helpless/suicidal to hopeful and able to make it through the day. My worry now is continuing to get it prescribed as my GP is very resistant to it and I don't have a follow appointment with the neurologist for some time. Also in the referral letter to my GP he states that "although I have seen a large number of patients with these symptoms there has never been any evidence of any identifiable underlying disorder." And, despite saying that he would refer me for an EEG I have instead been referred for an electroretinogram. I'm not sure why.

Careful with the clonazepam.... It's great, but highly addictive.... sooner or later, you would have to battle addiction as well as hppd.

If you can take them a couple of times a week as a kind of break, you can do that for life. Your GP might prefer that too.

GP he states that "although I have seen a large number of patients with these symptoms there has never been any evidence of any identifiable underlying disorder." And, despite saying that he would refer me for an EEG I have instead been referred for an electroretinogram. I'm not sure why.

He probably realizes that this type of problem is more brain oriented that retinal in cause. It is good he acknowledges many people with this kind of problem!

An update on the Clonazepam: can't believe I wasn't prescribed this earlier. My visuals have reduced slightly and I have gone from feeling helpless/suicidal to hopeful and able to make it through the day. My worry now is continuing to get it prescribed as my GP is very resistant to it

Great that it helps. How much do you take in a day?

I was thinking though. I know clono is pharmaceutically the best benzo for silencing the over excitement of hppd brains, but if you took clono for 3-6 months semi sparingly then say had a couple of weeks off, then went on a cycle of lorazepam for 3-6 months and done the same, and at a push went on to Xanax for so many months and resumed clono after this in a circular motion. Would this not be ok? I know GABA receptor are GABA receptors but the wouldn't the subtle difference in the drugs means the benefits of them would be reset and you can still get relief in a benzoadipine way?

I was thinking though. I know clono is pharmaceutically the best benzo for silencing the over excitement of hppd brains, but if you took clono for 3-6 months semi sparingly then say had a couple of weeks off, then went on a cycle of lorazepam for 3-6 months and done the same, and at a push went on to Xanax for so many months and resumed clono after this in a circular motion. Would this not be ok? I know GABA receptor are GABA receptors but the wouldn't the subtle difference in the drugs means the benefits of them would be reset and you can still get relief in a benzoadipine way?

I would just stick to klonopin if you definitely have to take it. Switching around to others is probably a bad idea, especially Xanax or Valium. Those 2 are by far the most addicting. Hell I think Valium feels more like an opiate than a benzo.

• Upvote 1

All but one doctor, Dr. Henry David Abraham, has had any experience with HPPD. I was recently sent from my long-term primary care doctor group because my issue was "clearly beyond the scope of their care."

I can understand this.

Visiting a doctor is difficult for me, which you would think should be a breeze. I have to see any doctor I can because I don't have the luxury any longer.

It is hard to tell a doctor, "I have a disorder, it is called X, and I know you never heard of it and I can tell by your questions. Who diagnosed me? [Point to Dr. Abraham info]. I also had Dr. Abraham read my Senior thesis on the disorder [point to hardbound text] and have written and conducted original research. So, if you need to consult with someone, it would be me.

Then I give up if it looks like they think I have a form of delusional thinking disorder and say:

JUST GOOGLE ME.

I'll be glad to show you what happened (with copies of my actual medical records).

- David

Gawd I know what that's like all too well.