new HPPD video I made

fin01

Just wanted to make this topic to share a video I made about my experiences with HPPD. I read indigochild's thread (he has some pretty popular vids on the subject) and saw his comment about how he wishes there were more HPPD vids. I too am surprised at how few there are on YT. Let me know what you think. I know my speech skills aren't stellar, but I did my best to explain.

This post has been promoted to an article

Amazing video. Thanks for the contribution!

Not sure what you meant about your speech, because you are exceedingly coherent and lucid. This is exactly the content that we all want to yell to everyone who doesn't get it (doctors and otherwise).

Progress comes from awareness, so again, thank you!

Are your symptoms purely visual or do you have any anxiety-related or physical symptoms? Tried any meds for it (not suggesting you do, just wondering)?

-mg, you're right, more videos are better. Unfortunately, I don't have the confidence (and perhaps justifiably so) that going public online won't be detrimental to my career/public life (wouldn't be great for a potential employer to hear me talking about this given we aren't afforded the same moral equity as cancer, Alzheimer's, cystic fibrosis or anything non-illicit drug related). We're a stigmatized disorder that I doubt will ever fade. People (maybe the majority) will always misunderstand drugs that could easily be or that previously were legal. That's why the utmost props from me to fin01 and others who've done the same.

Rollingregret---Put on a fake beard and make-up.

I mean if if fin01 can come on here and tell everybody he's got Asperger's, you could make a vid.

People used to say that i didn't look smart.

That really hurt me at the time.

Forget them!

Do it anonymously if possible.

I'm gonna work on it.

But right now i have nothing to say.

And my own story is too boring for me to keep my interest.

When you find something important to say, document it and post here.

I think it's important we all make a video [whether we like it or not] and post it on Fin's thread.

Good idea!

Amazing video. Thanks for the contribution!

Not sure what you meant about your speech, because you are exceedingly coherent and lucid. This is exactly the content that we all want to yell to everyone who doesn't get it (doctors and otherwise).

Progress comes from awareness, so again, thank you!

Are your symptoms purely visual or do you have any anxiety-related or physical symptoms? Tried any meds for it (not suggesting you do, just wondering)?

Thanks, I guess I'm just hard on myself sometimes.

I don't have any DP/DR. I feel very grounded in reality, so I'm fortunate in that sense. I do have social anxiety, but I'm pretty sure that has more to do with circumstances in my life and how I relate to people than anything to with drugs/HPPD. I was constantly bullied and didn't have any close friends throughout most of middle and high school and I've never quite recovered from that. Funnily enough, I was on antidepressents during most of that time (37.5mg Effexor w/10mg Lexapro) along with various ADHD meds because I was misdiagnosed until last year, when a psychologist explained Asperger's to me and EVERYTHING made sense. That alone lifted me out of my pit of despair, and while I still go through depressive phases, I've been able to be productive (about to graduate with a double major in math/economics in a few months).

I look at pills as a very last resort. In my opinion, much of Western medicine is anti-health. Instead of taking a holistic view and trying to figure out what is actually wrong with you, many (not all) doctors would rather shove a pill down your throat to cover up the problem because it's easier for them and gets them more money. I'm a living example of this. I spent most of my formitive teenage years in an apathetic haze (9+ years on antidepressants) and while I wasn't suicidal, I wasn't really happy either. I feel like Big Pharma robbed me of much of my childhood. So I've been taking natural supplements like omega-3, exercising, volunteering, and most importantly, forcing myself into social situations where I know I'm going to be uncomfortable so one day I can convince myself that it's not so bad.

If you want to take antidepressants to deal with HPPD, it's your choice, but lifestyle changes should always come before any chemical. You'd be amazed how much simply keeping yourself busy takes your mind of the bad things.

I made the video on a new YouTube account because I didn't want anyone to find out my real name. It's possible a potential employer could see it, but unlikely...I think we definitely need a lot more videos like this. Like -mg said, wear a beard if you have to lol.

And much thanks to the admin that made this an article, I really appreciate it.