Well I decided to Go for it and move

ludwig80

Just traveled 1500 miles to LA. It has been an adventure to say the least over the past two weeks. Saw a lot of things on the way including the grand canyon.

Took about a week to find a place to live so that was interesting. Did some couch surfing at friends, dodgy cheap motels, slept in my car a few times but I'm here hoping to follow some dreams and not let hppd hold me back.

It has been at times exciting, inspiring, stressful and lonely but once I get on my feet, find a job and meet some more people, I hope it will have been the right decision. Was quite difficult moving away from my family.

Traveling/backpacking is extremely beneficial for me in warding off the depression. It's help give me the dopamine fix I need maybe. Moving is a bit more stressful though. Perhaps if you plan more than I did then it won't be but I think if you're feeling unhappy considering traveling or going somewhere that could make you enjoy life a bit more.

Best to everyone

Did you hike down to canyon?

Went down 25 years ago on South side (kaibab trail?). It was April and started with sweat shirt. Every mile or so more cloths came off. When reaching the river it was over 90 degrees. Can't imagine what July would be like!

So now its LA. Sounds crowded!

I really feel this is something everyone should think of doing..... not necesarily completly changing you life.... But maybe just a month or two on the road.

There are two things that have made my life bearable through some pretty severe shite, travelling and working from home. If there is any possible way to make either happen, do it.

A buddy of mine's brother hitchhiked from Sweden to Turkey, he asked truckdrivers on the way and they were just glad to have some company, and from Turkey he flew to India and lived in a monastery with monks for 6 months!

If anybody's got some ideas for a road trip or life-change adventure, I'm not doing anything, and I'm a little scared of doing it by myself, but I'm down to give it a shot.

This is my thoughts too. My bmw is finished now and i want to go a tour of europe, there are 3 spare seats in my car and the company is more than welcome.

I'm definitely into it ............ you're in Scotland? I have a big American truck and was thinking of doing something here too in America (I'm from NY). But I am willing to try anything and I have been to Europe in the past. .......though also I really want to eventually find a new place to start a new life.

Thanks guys, been an quite interesting move. Hiked up to the top of the hills surrounding the city today and got some rely nice pictures.

I find Venice beach is such a strange and fascinating place. Very hippy and artsy and you can tell thirty/fourty years ago it was a really fun, cool, unique place but now, i find it quite sad. So many homeless people just siting around smoking weed and asking for change. You can see the casualties of the 60's drug craze in lots of the homeless people's eyes. And young homeless folks who are already in bad shape. I want to ask a lot of the older ones if they have hppd like issues.

I wouldnt sell yourselves short.. You all have the Nuggets to deal with hppd everyday, might as well have to deal with somewhere you want to be. Jay's right, it's worth getting out of your comfort zone and seeing new things. It is really good for the soul. Also, if you're like me and have to travel on a budget, you flip the switch to survival mode real quick. You focus on shelter, food and water. Doesn't leave much room to worry about hppd. Plus you have the distractions of everything new and that excitement is addicting.

Visual- no I didn't hike down, it was rediculously hot but next time, I think it would be worth it.

Mgrade- Ya, Cali is difficult cause weed is legal and significantly

more people do drugs- i would really love to manage to find roommates who are drug free and trustworthy so I don't have to worry about being around it all the time and risk getting worse.

This is my thoughts too. My bmw is finished now and i want to go a tour of europe, there are 3 spare seats in my car and the company is more than welcome.

I did some backpacking in Europe a while back- you should definitely go. Especially since you're so close. Also, I don't recommend driving. I would get a railpass and utilize public trans like subways and buses. It's much more of an adventure this way, you get to interact with everyone and their world and hostels don't have parking a lot of times. Plus, when you meet some other people traveling you can just join with them for a few days somewhere if you hit it off or maybe you find a nice Dane and travel with her for a bit. There's so much more flexibility.

One of the best feelings of liberty in the world is walking into a bus station or train station and just randomly picking a place to travel to. It is a rare occasion but a great one. And we used to pick where we'd go by just going wheresver the first page we flipped too in the Europe lonely planet guide book was. This led to hilarious stories like ending up in a all gay city in Spain for two days. The beaches were nice at least ha.

Yeah im in scotland mgrade. Would love to do a big usa tour one day when money allows but europe shall do for now. The reason I want to drive is I want to visit the nurburgring, also taking my bmx. Drivin also helps my hppd cos I dont focus on it too busy concentrating. I want to see italy germany, switzerland. Juat see where the road takes me

yesterday news told that the nurburgring is insolvent. :(

i dont know how long it stays open for puplic driving maybe you check out the website.

really sad that the government didnt give a few euros to help this great place staying alive. motorsports are a big part of the german culture. but the government gives the whole money to rescue the european union.

Well... I'm just updating my experience so far.. It's been interesting to say the least.

I finally managed to find a place to rent to me without a job and there's no lease. Mostly just young roommates near a college. Very hostel like- but I'm not stranger to those conditions.

As of today though I found employment as an assistssnt manager at a local surf shop on the beach.

And I'm staring at a beautiful ocean sunset right now.

Things are falling together slowly!