For those who have recovered.

windscar

1. What did you use/do?

2. All visuals gone or anything left (trais, afterimages...)?

3. Got ride of HPPD's sub-effects (anxiety, depression, cognitive issues, etc)?

4. Any side effect of whatever you have done to recover or you're simply 100%?

Sorry for having lots of topics around but it seems like I'm the only one who come here =\

Hi things will get much easier over time - the afterimage will die down and anxiety will dissapate over time if you get on with your life - the static has remanied with me for over 30 years but im used to it no big deal -im going to save you many years of worry your not going mad hppd is not a mental illness and you wont lose any gognative abilites -hppd is damage to the visual part of the brain that puts strain on the eyes and can lead to headaches brain fog and lethargy - by far the worst ailment is self analyzing and worry about the condition which will only lead to obssesion about the condition - if you dont have an underlying mental condition then hppd will not get worse you wont go mad and you should lead a normal healthy productive life.

ps the above only applies if you dont continue to uses drugs .

cheers robbie

• 5 months later...

Although i'm in no way cured... my visual are severe and have a big affect on life. I did manage to kick some sub-effects, to a large degree.

I did this by very slowly confronting every aspect of my life that bought about anxiety or paranoia. First was eye contact, I had major problems with this and it made me anxious and paranoid (and people probably did think I was very shy or weird). I forced myself to keep eye contact more and more until the point came where i was back to where I was pre-hppd. I realised this could probably hold true with alot of other issues I had. I started to force myself into situations where I would have to be sociable and talkative.... day by day, a little more... until again, I was back to my normal self. I did the same with being in large crowds, speaking in public, playing music to crowds etc. I think i'm now more confident than I ever was.

Jay Ive had a massive problem with eye contact to, Its hard to explain but when I tryed to speak to people id feel like a pressure behind my eyes I would just tense up this caused me immense frustration as I kept trying to succeed to the point it was making other people uncomfortable talking to me, its getting better but it comes back now and then.

I put it down to tunnel vision... when we stare at a fixed point, it gets worse and worse until unbearable. I try might to focus on a persons left eye for a while, then right... maybe it looks weird, but no one has ever mentioned it.... people are usually caught up with themselves.. just like we are.

1. What did you use/do?

Sorry for having lots of topics around but it seems like I'm the only one who come here =\

Mine reduced by 95% a couple/3 of years after it started from my first and only LSD trip.

Seven years later from when I took the LSD, it came back much worse. Not sure what the trigger was. About 3 years later it was back to the reduced state, maybe a little more than the first time it went. It got better from time, diet of much greens and vitamin A foods. I also moved for a job. Stress reduction. I had several years of virtually HPPD free.

A strenuos hike and much stress brought it back again with more symptoms than ever before. It has not gone this time. I think I shocked my brain from repetative stress on my neck from tripping/falling down the mountain.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to just combine all my perceptual problems into one, hppd. But then I realized the dissociation could be separated. And , I think the dp/dr is actually worse than hppd. But its less stubborn in my experience. So it can be dealt with , and when I get my dissociation down, the hppd is more in the background and not as big of a deal......

1. What did you use/do?

First thing, and I think everyone who gets serious hppd must do this, is quit any and all psychodelics permanently. This includes weed.

The medicine that saved me was Keppra. I have a batch of files of user feedback of good experiences with the drug that convinced my doctor to let me try it. I have that file. Keppra was so silly in how much it helped me, how randomly it cured me 95 percent, that I think every single person with HPPD should try it. I tried many other antidepressants/antipsychotics/mood stabalizers. I think keppra is actually used primarily for people who get siezures. HPPD is mysterious. No idea what the fuck caused it, well, I mean why I got it so bad, and then it just went away on another random day. I also have about, I dunno, 200 pages of information I've been compiling on how to put one's life back together. I've had to start from scratch. I can help you there. Philosophy can help you. Medicine can as well.

Visuals absolutely did not change for me.

I think everything else I deal with are normal things associated with trauma. After keppra worked, i've kept my medicines in stasis for absolute fear that it might go away if I tweak one thing. As of right now, it's been about exactly a year that I've been on it. And 2 days form now will mark 3 years with no weed.

I used to guage how fucked up i was from hppd using a number system and looking into a mirror. I would stare into the mirror, and my face would contort to further and further monstrous hallucinations. The further I purposefully zoned out, the worse it got. Without keppra, I could go about 7 levels deep, until the thing I was looking at in the mirror would nearly cripple with terror. Now, I can get maybe 1.5 levels deep. I have a theory on why one's face is so terrifying. I will post it another time. I think I've just decided to go to grad school for psychology. Just now. I owe my life to this site. But back to your question, I can actually function more adeptly mentally than I could when I was just a pot head, but pre hppd. So no 100 percent. The visuals are still there, and I don't think they will go away. Perhaps another medicine will randomly cure it. Perhaps keppra will fail entirely tomorrow. I have met no doctor who even knows of the existence of hppd, much less diagnose why it happens, much less understand what to do to give you the right medicine. Hang tough. Let me know if you have questions.

I got your back.

I used to just combine all my perceptual problems into one, hppd. But then I realized the dissociation could be separated. And , I think the dp/dr is actually worse than hppd. But its less stubborn in my experience. So it can be dealt with , and when I get my dissociation down, the hppd is more in the background and not as big of a deal......

DP/DR can definitely be separated. It is not, in my opinion, a defense mechanism the body adopts to deal with the hallucinations...i know because i had hppd symptoms for 6 months before i accidentally drank caffeinated ginger ale, and BAM, just like that, I got DP/DR...strictly chemical....Hppd didnt and doesnt really make me anxious anymore...it's the DP/DR that made me finally seek help...it's a bitch, and that weird neck feeling it came along with makes me feel really uncomfortable...body aches increased also...and it came with cognitive impairments that i didnt have pre DP/DR, muscle twitches increased as well...

boogres, that tension you get in your neck, body aches, muscle spasms and chronic headaches are just a few of the symptoms not to many ppl complain about but destroy my quality of life.

I have to exercise everyday to alleviate some of the tension or my body feels like a rubber band getting tighter ready to snap!!

what meds are those Visual????

Again, the same main two: Wellbutrin SR and Sinemet 25/100

Since dopamine is used in the motor control system, this benefit isn't so unusual - just didn't expect or know it at the time

Also, dopamine is used in the Amygdala (which is involved in pain perception) - so my pain perception improved

Furthermore, since the Amygdala is the heart of automatic 'fight/flight' response, it is a core of anxiety. It is a heavy user of dopamine - and here too, things improved

Lastly, dopamine is used in visual processing as well

Dopamine is very much a perception and control regulator, so if a person has an imbalance, its supplementation can help. Perhaps too, there is a therapeutic effect possible from a rehabilitative point of view - like special exercises

It is really hard to know how an individual will respond. And plenty of people find Wellbutrin too stimulating. All the neurotransmitter systems have complex feedback and feedforward systems. And interface with neurons with different types of neurotransmitters. But at least these are possibilities to explore with your doctors