How would you explain DP/DR to someone that doesn't have it?

aztec99

I get the gist of what it is. But I guess I don't really get what it is because I don't have it. I just have the visuals from HPPD. I will say that it DP/DR sounds like you are still tripping a little. Like you are stuck in the that out of body trip. Like you aren't totally grounded in your senses maybe? I know that's how I felt on my one and only trip that gave me HPPD.

It's like watching yourself move/think from a slightly detached perspective. Like an off-set sense of self. Feelings can be numb. Also feeling detached from the external world, as if being stuck in your head. (macro/micropsia, people can look fake, or like robots). It's pretty messed up in my experience...can be dealt with though.

Have been struggling with dp, and VS lately. Usually at normal levels my DP is just nonexistence. I cannot naturally associate myself and my actions, I know I do them, but my memories are just words, I cannot visualize or claim any emotional ownership over them. It as if I was told them by an absolutely reliable third party. Visually I know what things look like, but to me those descriptions are aquired not though me living in my own memories (I could never say that something seems like only yesterday, as all my memories seem infinitely distant). The other day it got as worse as it has ever been, my perception felt like it retreated into my own head. My surroundings felt as if they only existed within my mind. Everything felt as if it was an idea, without any eternal reality associated with it. I felt as if I was going to lose control of my body as I could not associate myself with it, only with my perception (which felt that it was only attached to the idea of my external body). Because I was so within my own mind and not in anything objective, I fept as though my existentense was not tied to anything. I was just going to fade out of reality (or keeping with the theme of DP existence was going to fade out of me)

This was not a good feeling to have in times square at 3 AM. To abort the panic attack I had to sit down and think. This is not actually happening, this is just a feeling.

dp an dr for me just kind of feels like im moving on autopilot- i have little or no control of my thoughts and emotions most of the time. the random and uncontrollable thoughts often bring about unwanted and intense emotions and vise versa. because of the visual changes that have occured in my brain, i almost convince myself that the past year and a half hasnt happened, that i'll just wake up and everything will go back to normal. i also began to start viewing myself as just another person. analyzing who i think cory is and like-able features of mine and the many character defects i have. thinking of myself as though i were thinking of a person i just met. the percept i have of myself and the external world is constantly changing, even if i am in the same location and am the same person ive been. although all of these symptoms of dp/dr are very nerve-racking and depressing, i still know them to be a normal reaction of the brain after a sense where 70% of our information comes is distorted and changed.

I totally agree with the two descriptions. When i need to explain it to someone (very fast) is like a being drunk, in a dream, or on weed. But its more big than that. You are still the same person (everybody told that to me) but you dont feel that. The time run very slowly and the memories are very strange. You need an answer, most people have fear to live, fear to died, fear to everything, because the world is not the same anymore.

Hey, sorry for not answering back! I forgot to check my content. Thanks for the feedback. I think I better understand what DP is now. I feel for you guys, really. It sounds like something may have gotten messed up in your brain from drugs. I was almost there after a very bad 2cp trip. However, I came down from it and only have the HPPD visuals. You guys tried Keppra for the DP?