VSS or HPPD?

AmitV

Hello, been suffering this debilitating illness for a year now started with trintellix (SSRI). 

im trying to figure out if i have HPPD or VSS? I have visual snow, tinnitus, afterimages, pallinopsia, tracers, starbursts, halos. I don’t have micropsia, macropsia. What i have movement of my surroundings, like the hallway sways when I walk. When I move my head the floor tilts. Can anyone shed some light on it. I do have swaying also.

Do you mean the SSRI was what started your illness or you have now started on SSRIs to try to help the issue?

If it was an SSRI that caused your issues, you could probably class that as HPPD... but really, it makes no difference what you call it.. The treatment, things to avoid etc are all the same, from what I have read. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 1:45 AM, Jay1 said:

Do you mean the SSRI was what started your illness or you have now started on SSRIs to try to help the issue?

If it was an SSRI that caused your issues, you could probably class that as HPPD... but really, it makes no difference what you call it.. The treatment, things to avoid etc are all the same, from what I have read. 

Yes SSRI trintellix started it. As far as I’m aware trintellix is a glutamate agonist and was modelled as an antidepressant after mushrooms.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 7:11 AM, AmitV said:

Yes SSRI trintellix started it. As far as I’m aware trintellix is a glutamate agonist and was modelled as an antidepressant after mushrooms.

Not that this has much to do with your question (sorry!) but your story reminded me of when my husband was put on Cymbalta. It’s an antidepressant that is supposed to also help with peripheral neuropathy (which my husband has.) The side effects were bad so he stopped taking it cold turkey even though I told him that was not a good idea, that he should taper off of it; he didn’t listen because he’s stubborn lol. Anyway, he was out of commission for literally about a year. It was HORRIBLE. I can’t remember all of his symptoms but he was having constant muscle twitches, couldn’t think straight, was miserable. He sat in his recliner 24/7. He could not work. We had to cash out his 401k or we would have been screwed. Like I said, it took about a year and he started feeling back to normal and got a good job that he still has and has excelled at. But…sometimes he gets like brain fried and kind of feels like he did back when he quit the Cymbalta. I don’t think he has or got HPPD from Cymbalta but it did SOMETHING horrible to him that to me sounds similar to those “fried” symptoms I get. I’ll have to ask him if he had visual snow or other HPPD symptoms because now I’m curious.

8 hours ago, AF44 said:

Not that this has much to do with your question (sorry!) but your story reminded me of when my husband was put on Cymbalta. It’s an antidepressant that is supposed to also help with peripheral neuropathy (which my husband has.) The side effects were bad so he stopped taking it cold turkey even though I told him that was not a good idea, that he should taper off of it; he didn’t listen because he’s stubborn lol. Anyway, he was out of commission for literally about a year. It was HORRIBLE. I can’t remember all of his symptoms but he was having constant muscle twitches, couldn’t think straight, was miserable. He sat in his recliner 24/7. He could not work. We had to cash out his 401k or we would have been screwed. Like I said, it took about a year and he started feeling back to normal and got a good job that he still has and has excelled at. But…sometimes he gets like brain fried and kind of feels like he did back when he quit the Cymbalta. I don’t think he has or got HPPD from Cymbalta but it did SOMETHING horrible to him that to me sounds similar to those “fried” symptoms I get. I’ll have to ask him if he had visual snow or other HPPD symptoms because now I’m curious.

I've had the exact same experience, except I got tinnitus, vss, hppd, disequilibrium and akathisia. Fucked me up royally. Was able to get the akathisia (agitation, head zaps, body zaps) and dyskinesia (tremors, twitches) to stop with Niacinamide and P5P. I'm 15 months out, things have gotten better, but I'm still between the couch and the bed, thankfully I disability payments that come from my employer, so I'm just getting by for now, at a snails pace.

Microsoft Word - 1976-v05n01-p004.doc (isom.ca)

Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate and Akathisia - RxISK