Resting the eyes, changes in symtoms? (Theory)

morbide

Hi all, i got to thinking alot about hppd recently and as with everything else, there must be a simple sollution to it (Well that is my optimistic opinion :P).

Anyway, i read on a swedish forum about a person who suffered from very severe hppd, he then got lucky with keppra and now he's symtom-free thanks to a daily cocktail composed of keppra, sinemet and klonopin.

His neurologist could prove abnormal activity in his occipital lobe while he was having his eyes shut.

I suppose you could say that the occipital lobe is overstimulated so basically, wouldn't you be able to calm it down by maybe not using a computer as much as the modern person does? The same goes with TV and cellphones. Wouldn't that theoretically reduce visual symtoms or what do you think? Any thoughts?

I don't think staring at screens helps us much... But I i'm sure there are cases of people getting hppd when they were living on hippie communes in the 60s.... living very simple lives.

I wonder if the native american shamen used to get hppd when they did hallucinogens in the jungles, centuries/millenia ago... My guess is that they did

as i posted in another thread visual rest seems to have an impact on visuals

http://www.migraine-aura.org/content/e27891/e27265/e42285/e57292/e57294/index_en.html

but i think only temporarily.

this coctail sounds hard i would only do it if i had a very worse case.

there is a disease i forgot the name which are visual disturbances because of brain demage i think it was called post traumatic vision syndrome this seems to be cured by wearing sunglasses for example to help the brain filter out the disturbances.

hmm would be great if this would workfor HPPD too.

i read alot about epilepsy the last day because of my exam tommorow. there are alot of connections to HPPD i think.

somehow i believe HPPD could be very similar, the overactive brain, the comorbid diseases, the medication and the individual working of them, dont want to go to much in detail now this will mess my brain for tommorow^^ maybe i will do it soon.

I wonder if the native american shamen used to get hppd when they did hallucinogens in the jungles, centuries/millenia ago... My guess is that they did

hmm who knows but there are a few article which say:

These authors noted that they had not encountered it in their evaluation of 500 Native American Church members who had taken the hallucinogenic cactus peyote on at least 100 occasions
In my interview of over 1000 Navajo members of the Native American Church, not a single NAC member validated ever having symptoms of HPPD from the entheogenic (sacramental) use of mescaline-containing peyote.

maybe mescaline is safe or you will become a shaman and dont think its a disease dunno^^

I don't think staring at screens helps us much... But I i'm sure there are cases of people getting hppd when they were living on hippie communes in the 60s.... living very simple lives.

Didn't Dr. Abraham speak to ~600 peyotemunching native americans and none had even the slightest symtoms of hppd. But as you say hppd has surely occurred.

as i posted in another thread visual rest seems to have an impact on visuals

http://www.migraine-...4/index_en.html

but i think only temporarily.

this coctail sounds hard i would only do it if i had a very worse case.

there is a disease i forgot the name which are visual disturbances because of brain demage i think it was called post traumatic vision syndrome this seems to be cured by wearing sunglasses for example to help the brain filter out the disturbances.

hmm would be great if this would workfor HPPD too.

i read alot about epilepsy the last day because of my exam tommorow. there are alot of connections to HPPD i think.

somehow i believe HPPD could be very similar, the overactive brain, the comorbid diseases, the medication and the individual working of them, dont want to go to much in detail now this will mess my brain for tommorow^^ maybe i will do it soon.

hmm who knows but there are a few article which say:

maybe mescaline is safe or you will become a shaman and dont think its a disease dunno^^

Sunglasses almost removes my visual snow to 100% My only escape...

Yeah but if 1/50000 get hppd and they checked with 500 natives. Chances are none of then would have it

Excellent point! I wonder how many hppd-sufferers there are out there who has no idea about their condition and they think they're insane...

i saw a documentary pre hppd about a boy who took a legal high, im guessing mxe...and like me got hppd. he was incredibly paranoid, went home told his dad he was seeing things and he felt fake. he cut his throat, and his dad rushed him to hospital....he got stitched up, but later that night he shot himself.

i truely believe that like me mxe gave that guy hppd but the initial onset and paranoia was too much for him and he took his life

i think people not being told about hppd and being told flashbacks are a myth is exceptionally dangerous

yeah thats true

wiki says furthermore:

In a presentation of preliminary results from ongoing research, Matthew Baggott and colleagues from University of California Berkeley found that HPPD-like symptoms occurred in 4.1% of participants (107 of 2,679) in a web-based survey of hallucinogen users. These people reported visual problems after drug use that were serious enough that they considered seeking professional help.[4] This number may over-estimate the prevalence of HPPD since people with visual problems may have been more interested in completing the researchers' questionnaire. The authors reported that 16,192 people viewed the study information but did not complete the questionnaire. If all these people had used hallucinogens without developing visual problems, then the prevalence of serious visual problems in this larger group would be 0.66%. Since these people were not formally diagnosed in person (and may have had visual problems caused by other disorders), this number may provide a reasonable upper limit on the prevalence of HPPD.[citation needed]

but there could also be other factors. dr klaus podoll the founder of the migraine aura faundation shows in his research that the most people with PMA/HPPD are caucasian maybe there is a special genedefect i dont believe in the theory that caucasian more often use the internet

i think people not being told about hppd and being told flashbacks are a myth is exceptionally dangerous

i know man. i researched psilocybin a bit before eating shrooms but no sites mentioned long term issues like these the only dangers they mentioned was doing something stupid while you were trippig or having such a bad trip that you couldn't get over it. I thought only LSD could produce long-term mental issues like this shit. Some sites mentioned flashbacks but that isn't very scary compared to a 24/7 flashback.

Do any of you guys ride the bus or see ex psycho naughts ? Well, if you do/have, do you think the crazies who sit in the back of the talking to themselves, making noises, faces or whatever have severe HPPD or have typical psychosis? Or maybe one or the other?

Oh dang, do you know what he takes?

I knew this guy who use to deal acid and for some reason he was running from the cops so he decided to stick the whole blotter paper in his sock, what a smart move right? He ended up absorbing all 100+ hits at once through his sweaty open pores in his foot. I haven't spoken to him since, but I see him every now and then wearing neon while dancing with huge head phones in that are plugged into an A track. Personally, I still think he is tripping balls.

The guy on the bus has schizophrenia. If you think you might be crazy you're not. Crazy people don't know they're crazy.

I will chime in that when my visuals are really bad closing my eyes in a relaxed way and focusing them in and out while they're closed (if that makes any sense) "resets" the ghost images. At least temporarily. The "coke bugs" (swarming points of light) are always there, especially when looking at a neutral background... and the "technicolor" effect I think a lot of us experience (some people refer to it as "cartoony") also isn't effected IME.

Honestly, if the DP/DR and brain fog would go away I would be a happy camper. I've grown accustomed to the visuals and I usually don't even think about them unless they accompany the other stuff.

I became free from dp/dr and brainfog a couple of months ago but when that left me i only focus on the visuals. I went to a workinterview today and the room was bright white and that made the snow, static and afterimages really crazy.