Flat/2D Vision

Gmo

Does anyone have flat or 2D like vision??? It's like for example when I'm outside everything looks like a pop up book or a cardboard cut out......It's really hard to describe. I think it's more a symptom of DP than anything else though.

Pop-up book sounds a bit like exaggerated 3D - would you clarify?

One of the early visual symptoms was diminished (flattened) depth perception ... it wasn't completely flat (2D) but it was worse. When I started to get better it went to the other extreme - exagerated 3D like a 3D movie.

This sounds like a form of DR. Sometimes things look like this for me, but only when I think about it. My DR is heavily related to my anxiety. Sometimes I'm just sitting in class and I look around and I start to realize how weird the world is, and then everything just turns weirder from there...until I remind myself that it's just anxiety and try to forget about DR for a little while. If it makes you feel any better, DP/DR is the brain's natural response to to high levels of stress and anxiety. So the next time a wave of DP or DR or both hits you, just remember that and think how it'll just pass and believe me you'll feel normal in no time. Well, that's how I deal with it, but then again I'm pretty sure it's just mild for me. I can't imagine how terrible that feeling would be all the time.

I've had this from the start pretty much, i never realised it was dr though until now. You see objects or people as if nothing can exist behind what you cannot see like it has no dimensions, like it is all completely flat. i'll look through an open doorway and it looks kinda like a tv, an image rather then something you can actually pass through, its wierd but doesn't bother me at all.

Sounds horrible. Im glad my drdp went and I only got that flatness for a while. Its a wierd way to see the world

When 3D came back strong, it was strong 24/7 and I started seeing depth in pictures and TV. It concerned me since I thought it impossible without triangulation. Otherwise, the strong 3D along with richer colors was actually beautiful. To some extent I still have stronger and richer vision in this way but it is stable. Some of this seems to be the brain working overtime.

Later found out that triangulation is only one of many cues the brain uses to form depth perception. For example, those wavy pictures used inconsistent shading to confuse even a healthy brain.

What really freaked me was when I started seeing through people and objects, since it isn't possible. Sometimes a moving object would fade out and disappear partially or completely.

Eventually I realized it only happened when people were moving around and I had already seen what was behind them. It never, for example, happened with a picture. I think this is related to positive afterimages in that the brain isn't sure what to be looking at. Since vision essentially slices up what the eye sees, identifies objects storing them in temporary memory, and then sews it all back together - it gets out of sync (poor refresh rate) with some objects ... or the brain isn't sure what to pay attention to (what is important). Doctors have told me that vision is extremely memory intensive.

When a person first experiences stuff like this, you wonder about schizophrenia/delusional states. Just chill out, take a deep breath (and stay away from kitchen knives :P )

i dont know about 2D vision as my visuals are pretty mild, but since the onset of my hppd, all my surroundings look fully 3D, that on top of the all the colours being alot more vibrant and the distortion of shapes, everything just looks completely soft and animated. i agree with nuroeone when he says everything looks like an image rather than something you can pass through, its as if im seeing my life through a motion picture

I've had this from the start pretty much, i never realised it was dr though until now. You see objects or people as if nothing can exist behind what you cannot see like it has no dimensions, like it is all completely flat. i'll look through an open doorway and it looks kinda like a tv, an image rather then something you can actually pass through, its wierd but doesn't bother me at all.

That pretty much nails it on the head. It's getting really old. But yea like others said everything's really vibrant and slightly cartoony for me all the time too. Kinda like when you're done tripping but you've still got that altered perception before you go to bed and give your brain time to reset. I'm stuck on the tail end of a trip it looks like-_-

That pretty much nails it on the head. It's getting really old. But yea like others said everything's really vibrant and slightly cartoony for me all the time too. Kinda like when you're done tripping but you've still got that altered perception before you go to bed and give your brain time to reset. I'm stuck on the tail end of a trip it looks like-_-

thats the best way to describe it for me, everything looks really vibrant and for me very cartoony, i didnt realise this was a symptom for dp/dr, as my visuals are quite mild and i dont suffer from any real anxiety, but when i do have a full on flash back, for me its like having a schizophrenic attack where literally everyone is out to get me, that on top of everything looking like a cartoon/animation, its just really weird

I really didn't realize i had dp/dr till i confirmed it with this forum by talking about what i feel when these attacks happen, i thought it was all just hppd. My dp/dr must be quite mild though (the attacks are still intense yet rather short, the feeling that everything is a flat image is constant though, if i focus too long) the last one i had which was yesterday i was talking to a customer at work and i just got this wave of dizziness then everything around me sort of warped out and things just didn't look the way they are supposed to, i felt like i was floating, the difference is subtle but its a strong feeling that something just isn't right with everyone and everything around you, most of all yourself.

The key is holding down your anxiety, telling yourself you will be fine and realizing that its just an attack and grounding yourself with your surroundings and self. Thats how i always push through it. It is fuckin' scary though!

its truely terrifying. i used to think that like, aslong as i have my sight im good. i can see things that are still and here and its all ok. now we dont really have that, everythings sparkly moving and doing mad shit.

so we have ourselfs, we can think about what we do, our home, our music tastes and keep us grounded. in the middle of a DR attack...u dont even have that, u dont have ur sight, u dont feel like ur awake, u dont feel like a human. i find a good method is breathe deep, touch or tap something hard, stomp ur feet if needed and just let urself know ur here