Psychiatrist appointment today, need help!!

Hi

After doing some research on this forum i can see that this disorder is rare and now i have doubts about my psychiatrist knowing about it. I don’t know what to do know to be honest but i want to let you guys know about my HPPD, i think you are the only people who can really understand my struggles.. I’m apologising in advance for my poor level of explanation i am not a native English speaker

Almost one year ago i took Lsd and the whole experience was super intense and most of it was a super bad experience, but it all went away the next day. After some months (5-6) i have smoke marijuana and the whole lsd experience and thoughts came back, the next 4-5 days after i was puzzled and now knowing what hppd is i this i had a very light version of it, only at thoughts level questioning if that was true or hallucination somehow it all passed again, but after 3 months of “freedom” here i am discovering that i have hppd it’s not a 24h thing but it comes and goes experiencing and thoughts like i am on lsd again, when this happens i am starting to depersonalise, one symptom is my backpart of the brain is heating up. I don’t know what to do guys, should I explain all this to the psychiatrist, can you suggest me some possible medication? any help is super welcomed 

Thanks a lot!

Edited by gabe00

If you don't have visual disturbances 24/7 and get like flashbacks then you have HPPD type 1, which is a much better diagnosis. But for it to not manifest to a type 2 i HIGHLY recommed that you stay away from ALL drugs, i wouldn't even dare to touch alcohol if i were in your shoes, neither would i start with SSRI's or any other anti depressant since i've read about several people that it seems to have triggered it for after their drug use. But who knows, maybe they would have gotten ut either way since HPPD can start months after the last use, but i wouldn't risk it i were you.

And yes, i would mention this for your psychiatrist. 

Edited by Hall89

Hello Friend, 

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. I will mostly echo what Hall89 said and add a few remarks.  For me and most people, time is a major contributor to getting better.  Try not to obsess over the condition and remain positive.  Your drug use was not as extensive as many including myself who have recovered and lead happy high functioning lives.  I am on the track to become a mathematician.  The exact amount of time recovery will take is impossible to know unfortunately, it's slow and subtle but it will happen.  The brain will adapt and you will get your life back.  For many, recovery can be seen in the span of a few months assuming drug use has stopped.  I tell everyone the same thing on here which is what worked for me:

• Stop all drugs (even alcohol for a bit if you can) 
  • Caffeine exacerbates symptoms for many, using it is your call.  (For me I didn't quit) 
  • Get as much sleep as you can 
  • Exercise regularly even if it makes your symptoms worse
  • Eat well 
  • Stay busy with work/ school/ hobby etc
  • Try not to worry 
  • Learn to meditate if you can (this was really helpful for me) 
  • If you're open to it, start praying to God (it doesn't have to be any particular religion just ask for help on your knees everyday. You don't even have to believe in anything for it to work!  I really believe it will come if we reach out)

Also, it's good to remember that I personally don't think HPPD is a form of brain damage since in the long run, there doesn't seem to affect intelligence.  

Lastly, try to limit the guilt you feel; this is not your fault just your physiology.  Some people just can't tolerate psychedelics.  This is a hard lesson in life but you WILL recover  and I cannot express how good it feels to get your life back.  Hang in there and stay positive! 

Take Care,

Nick