Is recovery from MDMA HPPD possible?

moonstone

Hi all 

This forum doesn’t seem to be too active anymore but I’m desperate and will post anyway heh

So, I seem to have developed HPPD from a single pill of ecstasy/mdma mixed with weed about 5 weeks ago. Since then, symptoms have gradually showed up and worsened. I have every VSS symptom, such as: snow, tracers, halos, starbursts, floaters, afterimages, etc.

From reading on here it seems like those with LSD and Shroom induced HPPD have an easier go at it at recovering... it’s making me feel really down and hopeless. I think I’m going to be stuck with this shit forever and if things don’t improve I might head for the rope. My vision was everything, I live for travel and seeing the beautiful mountains and cities of the world... Now they’re going to be muddled with blurs and snow and afterimages. I know I’m sounding dramatic but oh my god I hate this VSS so much. 

Is there any hope for my recovery? I’m only 19 and I want to live but it feels like my life is over from one stupid mistake I made. It just seems like for MDMA it’s here to stay and progress into worse symptoms. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello, 

I'm sorry to hear how much you're struggling.  I myself contracted HPPD from excessive LSD and mushroom use but from what I have heard there are many cases of people recovering from MDMA use as well.  You're still very early in your recovery, I know it might not seem like it but your best friend will be time.  Also, you very young with a short history of drug use so I would say your chances of full recovery are pretty high.  I tell everyone the same thing:

• Stop all drugs (even alcohol for a but if you can) 
  • Get as much sleep as you can 
  • Exercise regularly even if it makes your symptoms worse
  • Eat well 
  • Stay busy with work/ school/ hobby etc
  • Try not to worry 

For me, the above recipe over time helped me settle into normal life (in fact multiple times) and my symptoms over time are much much better.  Right now I am a mathematics PhD student with a family, I also served in the US Navy as a submarine office.  As a kid I took excessively large amounts of acid and various other drugs and was able to recover.; my largest dose of LSD was about 15 hits.  Now this is behind me and I can move ahead without regretting the past. 

You'll see as you get older that the mind is an incredibly resillient machine and will adapt to whatever conditions it is placed in.  You made a mistake but that's okay you'll learn from it and you're already ahead of me; I kept dosing even when the symptoms emerged because I didn't care.  Life is precious and when you emerge on the other side of this hurdle you will truly appreciate it.  Just take it a day at a time and believe that you can recover.  

I wish you the best and please keep reaching out for support, it really helped me in the beginning.  

Take Care,

Nick 

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2021 at 4:05 PM, cosmiccharlie said:

Hello, 

I'm sorry to hear how much you're struggling.  I myself contracted HPPD from excessive LSD and mushroom use but from what I have heard there are many cases of people recovering from MDMA use as well.  You're still very early in your recovery, I know it might not seem like it but your best friend will be time.  Also, you very young with a short history of drug use so I would say your chances of full recovery are pretty high.  I tell everyone the same thing:

• Stop all drugs (even alcohol for a but if you can) 
  • Get as much sleep as you can 
  • Exercise regularly even if it makes your symptoms worse
  • Eat well 
  • Stay busy with work/ school/ hobby etc
  • Try not to worry 

For me, the above recipe over time helped me settle into normal life (in fact multiple times) and my symptoms over time are much much better.  Right now I am a mathematics PhD student with a family, I also served in the US Navy as a submarine office.  As a kid I took excessively large amounts of acid and various other drugs and was able to recover.; my largest dose of LSD was about 15 hits.  Now this is behind me and I can move ahead without regretting the past. 

You'll see as you get older that the mind is an incredibly resillient machine and will adapt to whatever conditions it is placed in.  You made a mistake but that's okay you'll learn from it and you're already ahead of me; I kept dosing even when the symptoms emerged because I didn't care.  Life is precious and when you emerge on the other side of this hurdle you will truly appreciate it.  Just take it a day at a time and believe that you can recover.  

I wish you the best and please keep reaching out for support, it really helped me in the beginning.  

Take Care,

Nick 

Thank you so much for the response! This has calmed me down some, I’m definitely gonna stay sober and try and keep my mind off of it

Hey! @moonstone

I’ve just joined this forum and have too realised it’s pretty quiet (i’m guessing mainly because of the disorder being so rare). 
It’s super interesting reading your experience especially with visuals and how it’s affecting you. I’m only 18 years old and have only touched LSD twice and have now been suffering with HPPD for over 3 months. 

I definitely relate to how you’re feeling especially with the hopelessness of recovery and that it’ll never go away. If you want to talk more please message me! It’d be nice to chat to someone who’s shared a similar experience at a similar age :))