Lemon balm and bacopa Monnieri

Hey guys month 6 hppd journey things are better now. I have very rare visuals,but it's mostly visual snow and tinnitus.

I found and i'm trying a herb which takes 8 to 12 weeks to work but might solve my problems finally.

Its name is bacopa monnieri.

One of the only herbs known to upregulate gaba receptors.

Currently i use lemon balm and with increased usage i see my tinnitus quiets down and my visual snow is less.

Lemon balm, Melissa officinalis, is an annual edible herb that’s native to Europe. Its traditional medical applications focus on the essential oil components of the plant and on rosmarinic acid for relaxation properties. Studies showed that the traditional relaxing effects may be linked to elevated levels of the neurotransmitter GABA (γ-aminobutyric acid) by inhibiting GABA-transaminase (GABA T), an enzyme that degrades GABA. Rosmarinic acid is thought to be responsible for this effect.

Lemon balm also protects against excitotoxicity and mediates the problem.

One of the theories of hppd is a reduction of gaba receptor right down to destroyed gaba receptors.

Bacopa Monnieri is an adaptogen herb and a precursor to the GABA-boosting neurotransmitter serotonin, and it appears to upregulate GABA binding sites with consistent, long-term use.

Bacopa supports dopamine and serotonin production, which is good for GABA. But more importantly for tinnitus control, it can upgrade neural communication.

Studies show Bacopa can boost serotonergic signaling, with results showing normalized receptor kinetics under the influence of 150mg Bacopa Monnieri.

• Studies show Bacopa can "upregulate expression of a certain type of presynaptic glutamate receptor, mGluR 8, which are thought to protect neurons from excitotoxicity, and their downregulation is concurrent with hyperexcitation.

I will post again after a few weeks with results.

Edited by BulgarianSpirit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Be careful with high doses of Lemon Balm as it can be hallucinogenic :)  (I dont remember how much is a high dose tbh)

Bacopa should be sourced well to avoid toxic metal exposure. As a plant, it pulls these out of the soil, so if your bacopa is being sourced from less agricultural responsible third world countries, this can be a problem. There is almost no oversight or testing in the supplement business that is enforced.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Onemorestep said:

Be careful with high doses of Lemon Balm as it can be hallucinogenic :)  (I dont remember how much is a high dose tbh)

I wish I had known. I had tried Lemon Balm a  few weeks ago, and although I didn't hallucinate, my thinking became very strange, similar to the mindset someone would have when tripping.

I'm throwing the rest of the tincture out.

Ah, Im sorry to hear that :( If its any consolidation it is a very mild hallucinogen through Gaba B receptors I think and not 5ht2a but i really have no idea. Amanita mushroom's psychedelic effects are purportedly through gaba. Z drugs such as ambien also can cause hallucinations and hppd and they work through gaba as well.

It is possible these drugs/supplements also have currently unexplored MOA's. Often drug companies only account for the MOA they are trying to push and those they learn about through side effects.. or computer programs designed to imitate binding on receptors.

I recommend that before you take a supplement or drug, do very thorough research on google and google scholar and reddit. I use search terms such as the following combined with the supplement or drug name. As you learn more about what you respond negatively to, and their MOA's, you can also search for those terms too. I reacted very poorly to anything that increased acetylcholine for a while, so I always searched " ________________ acetylcholine" to make sure it wouldnt raise those levels. Important to check all three of those places!

"bad reaction" 

"negative reaction"

"permanent"

"hallucinogenic"

"hallucinogen"

"gaba antagonist"

"excitotoxic"

"excitotoxicity"

If you search Lemon balm hallucinogenic you'll find some interesting stuff.

@Onemorestep

Thanks. Yeah, I need to more thoroughly research supplements before I take them. Your search recommendations are good.

I'm finding these days a simple Google search yields lots of conflicting results, since people manipulate the algorithm to get to the first page, and a lot of those results have inaccurate info.

Your suggestions are good.