About alcohol and HPPD

v0492

I would like to hear your stories and thoughts on drinking with hppd. It seems that people are very divided when it comes to this topic. Some say you should never drink and others say that they notice nothing bad after drinking. I really enjoyed alcohol prior to hppd and I have spent considerable amounts of money on different wines and whiskeys that I've been scared to touch. What are your experiences on drinking with hppd? I know that drugs are a no-go, Used to have a mild hppd and then I took MDMA with hppd and symptoms got bad, took about 6 months for them to start diminishing and returning to mild level

Alcohol is the only thing that doesn't seem to make my symptoms worse. Everything else does, even caffeine, nicotine, etc. Maybe it has to do with how alcohol affects the glutamate and GABA receptors. Still, I avoid drinking, anything to not mess my brain up more than it already is, but sometimes I feel the need to take a break from life and empty a bottle of red wine anyway.

I drank for a number of years after I quit dosing.  I wasn't out of control, but I was definitely drinking too much.  I went in for a physical, and had a blood test.  A few days later my doctor asked me to come in.  She wanted to how much I was drinking.  I was honest with her, after that conversation I quit for good.  To be honest I was self medicating to deal with the anxiety caused by this disorder.  Some people can manage their alcohol intake.  Others, like me, can't.  I had to find another way to manage my anxiety.  With a young family, and a new career, I had too much to live for.

I don't think having a few drinks is a terrible thing for those of us with hppd.  Just my opinion.  For me though, I think it would have made me a sick and unhappy soul.

Edited by MadDoc
Foolish typing
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Alcohol definitely worsen my visual (temporarily) both during and morning after, each "pulse" of my visual snow does not worsen but they flash much quicker. I wouldn't recommend anyone just acquired HPPD to drink, tho I do drink sometime.

The older you get, the longer it takes for your mind to rebound. With HPPD it’s safe to say the rebound effect is much much longer. Save what yo have left mentally, don’t drink.