Most commonly used medications

Anyone here that's been on Clonazepam daily for years with maintained effect?

Also, no way that Lamotrigine and Keppra has "cured" HPPD, or not type 2 HPPD. Sure, they can reduce the symptoms, but from what we know, there's no cure. If this has happened for some, my quess is that it healed out on it's own during the treatment, but not because of it, and that these people had a mild form of it.

Edited by Hall89

• 4 months later...
On 10/16/2018 at 4:21 AM, Jay1 said:

Great post, thanks.

Just to add to the clonazepam section.... Here is a system that I use which allows a lot of relief with minimal risk of addiction/tolerance (it's worked now for 10+ years).

I use a 4 days on, 3 days off benzo treatment with 14 days off every 3 months to further clean the system:

Clonazepam (1mg) - Thursday 6pm
Clonazepam (1mg) - Friday 9am
Clonazepam (1.5mg) - Saturday 9am
Clonazepam (1.5mg) - Sunday 9am

Please note that if I feel ok on any of these days and have no social situations, I often skip the dose that day. And, of course, you could pick and choose any days, but they need to be in blocks, eg, mon, tue, wed, thu.

This works for me, but tread carefully as these are crazy addictive drugs... Maybe try 3 on, 4 off first and never skip the 2 weeks off part. This is essential to test your tolerance and addiction.

Late to this post but I just saw it. I really wish I had known/thought of that. I think that’s a great idea. As I’ve probably posted about a million times on here, I take Klonopin daily (since 2009.) I take 3 mg per day, every day. Now I’m pretty screwed if someone decides to take me off of it. I think your advice is great!

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2018 at 9:31 AM, jbalsa2 said:

Hey guys,

Have made this thread for the purpose of educating either newcomers, or people who don’t have the resources yet on the medications that are available and most commonly used to treat and augment the symptoms of HPPD. Feel free as well to post here and ask questions.

Lamotrigine (Lamictal):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamotrigine

Lamotrigine, sold under the brand name Lamictal, among others, is an anticonvulsant medication used to treat epilepsy and bipolar disorder. This medication can reduce the symptoms of HPPD, and in many instances have even cured HPPD completely.

Dosing:

Lamotrigine should be titrated up slowly, starting at 25mg per day, and increased roughly every week until a typical dose of 100-200mg per day is reached. Starting lamotrigine too quickly can result in a skin condition called Stevens-Johnson syndrome, which is a condition that affects the skin on your body. It’s important to follow this titration process as this skin reaction can be deadly.

Common Side Effects:

Common side effects of Lamotrigine include sleepiness, headache, vomiting, trouble with coordination, and rash. Speak to your doctor about which side effects to look out for, and make sure to report all side effects to your doctor in a timely basis.

Resources:

Here’s the link for the NCBI case study that was done on Lamotrigine and HPPD - this can come in particular handy if you’re looking for some support in getting your doctor to prescribe you lamotrigine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3736944/

Levetiracetam (Keppra):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levetiracetam

Levetiracetam, sold under the brand name Keppra, among others, is an anticonvulsant medication used to treat epilepsy. This medication can reduce some of the symptoms of HPPD, primarily symptoms of depersonalizations and derealization, and in many instances has even cured HPPD completely.

Dosing:

Levetiracetam can carry with it some initial onset symptoms, such as increased irritability, and in some cases an increase in psychosis like symptoms. It should be started at the smallest dose - 250mg twice daily, and increased at a bi-weekly or monthly rate until the desired effect is reached. Most commonly effective doses of levetiracetam in patients with HPPD range from 500mg twice daily to 750 mg twice daily.

Common Side Effects:

The most common adverse side effects of levetiracetam include central nervous system effects such as somnolence, decreased energy, headache, dizziness, mood swings, and coordination difficulties. These symptoms often wear off within the first week to two weeks of therapy, but it is important to report all side effects to your doctor. It should also be noted that vitamin B supplements have been shown to augment some of these side effects effectively as well.

Resources:

Here’s the link for the cover and results page of the case study that was done on Levetiracetam and HPPD - this can come in particular handy if you’re looking for some support in getting your doctor to prescribe you levetiracetam.

https://www.scribd.com/document/138316970/keppra-evidencias-curativas

Clonazepam (Klonopin):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazepam

Clonazepam, sold under the brand name Klonopin, among others, is a medication used to prevent and treat seizures, panic disorder, and other movement disorders. It is a tranquilizer of the benzodiazepine class. Clonazepam is by far the most effective treatment for HPPD sufferers, especially in the short term. Caution should be used when using this medication, as daily or recurrent use can lead to tolerance and dependency.

Dosing: 

Clonazepam dosages should typically be started at about a half milligram (0.5mg) and adjusted as necessary. It’s typically not recommended for someone to take more than 2.0 mg of clonazepam a day. Dosing, if done daily, should not be continued for a period of longer than 3 weeks, as tolerance can build up in this time frame. Some doctors prescribe doses of clonazepam to be used in a “per as needed” basis, meaning that the user can take a dosage of clonazepam 1-3 times per week to provide them with some relief while averting tolerance and dependency.

Common Side Effects:

Common adverse side effects from clonazepam can include a feeling of sedation, motor impairment, confusion, lack of motivation, and memory impairment. These side effects are typically rare if the dosage regime is started properly - at around 0.5 mg per day, with the risk of these side effects occurring increasing as the dosage of clonazepam is increased.

Thanks for reading guys, and as always, if you have any questions comments or concerns, please comment.

I’ve been through the wringer with meds, but I’ve found a cocktail that decreases the intensity of daily hallucinations (I have a constant state of them) and decreases the number of really bad episodes. Cymbalta (once a day), Ziprasidone (twice a day), Prazosin (twice a day), Lamictal (once a day) , and Hydroxyzine Pamoate (as needed) have helped me a lot. A lot of antipsychs made my hallucinations worse, especially Abilify and Risperidone. There has not been a complete stop to my episodes, but the combo of these meds and sobriety has made it a lot easier. I still have a problem with disassociation and derealization, but that can be helped by benzodiazepines on the right person (I have a history of abuse and can’t be prescribed scheduled drugs). I hope this was helpful to someone!

On 10/15/2018 at 9:31 AM, jbalsa2 said: