SSRI Experiment

Hey guys, I thought I would let you know that I have been on a regiment of Zoloft SSRI for about two weeks now.  I believe there has been a slight change in visual distortions but it could always be placebo or due to a reduction in anxiety.  I don't think things are getting worse which is good, I feel a little more focused and less crazy.  I'll let you know how things work out.  As of now I am three weeks sober from everything except caffeine and feel more grounded.  Good luck to everyone and hang in there; we can do this together!

Edited by cosmiccharlie

What were you not clean of prior to three weeks ago? Not to poke holes—but stopping substance use and starting a medication isn’t very controlled. It will be hard to discern whether you are improving because of the medication or from abstinence ? many say that ssris need a month for the antidepressant effect to kick in. I think many misconstrue this as meaning the medication isn’t working for the first month. It does have an acute action on the brain and people can respond to that (although more often than not it’s more negative the first month).

ssris are tricky for those with hppd. Many don’t react well to them. Some react okay. No rhyme or reason with hppd sometimes! 

Its a good sign you can still tolerate caffeine :) many of us don’t have enough inhibitory action going on in our noggins to take stimulants anymore. I miss the taste of a hot cup in the morning! 

Keep on trucking!

On 9/11/2018 at 2:27 AM, Onemorestep said:

What were you not clean of prior to three weeks ago? Not to poke holes—but stopping substance use and starting a medication isn’t very controlled. It will be hard to discern whether you are improving because of the medication or from abstinence ? many say that ssris need a month for the antidepressant effect to kick in. I think many misconstrue this as meaning the medication isn’t working for the first month. It does have an acute action on the brain and people can respond to that (although more often than not it’s more negative the first month).

ssris are tricky for those with hppd. Many don’t react well to them. Some react okay. No rhyme or reason with hppd sometimes! 

Its a good sign you can still tolerate caffeine :) many of us don’t have enough inhibitory action going on in our noggins to take stimulants anymore. I miss the taste of a hot cup in the morning! 

Keep on trucking!

Hey, Yeah I know the lack of control thing can be a little misleading; I was feeling constant anxiety that was making it difficult for me to focus on my school work.  Again it's only been about one month (Zoloft can take up to 6 weeks) but my thoughts appear to be less erratic.  The sobriety was from weed and alcohol; I haven't tripped in about two months.  Again it's difficult to say with certainty if anything other than anxiety has actually changed from day to day.  I have also read that SSRIs can negatively impact hppd, but we shall see.  We are all different that's why I wanted to give it a shot. This has been especially hard since I have previously recovered from HHPD due to an LSD binge about 10 years ago and started using mushrooms again in an attempt to reset myself.  Binged on them for about two months (8 trips total with some micro dosing in between) and brought the previous symptoms back.  It's especially irritating as I have started a PhD program  one month ago in mathematics and NEED MY BRAIN TO WORK! But it seems to be okay, not what I was a few months ago but hope is what I'm clinging to; one day at a time.  Acceptance is the answer.  Let me know what you think. 

Keep on trucking