for those who are sick of waiting and want a real cure

hppdguru

hello im new to this site, although i've been reading online hppd forums for many years now, i was diagnosed with hppd when i was about 17, im 20 now, i triggered it after having an extremely stressful day and i felt like my head was about to explode, then i was recently taking a drug called "triple c's" that i was beginning to have bad trips one, i know from research that is the initial cause that triggered my hppd symtoms which include: visual snow, a sense of unreality, floaters, degrading visual perception, and formost a a sense of unawarness of things around me, for years i went through a period of severe anxiety and depression, i had no idea what was going on with me, thought something was wrong with my brain, after trips to doctors like most of us they had no idea, until i went to therapy and they took a look in the book of mental disorders, and found the Hppd, although i just wanted it gone, there was no cure, and the therapist said all we could do was fix the aniexty , i tried my hardest not to go on medication because im the type who doesnt like to be doped up and change my chemistry by taking pills, and for a while i could do it but it kept coming back and getting worse i finally went on the medication, deep down i knew i had to change my life in order to get over this, i changed my diet to vegetarian which helped tremendously, i started going outside more and staying away from tv and included myself toward nature, from the former things i listed came to me by pure feeling, i knew after trying to find a cure and leave it up to the "professionals" in a petty false hope that i had to do somthing about it my self, firstly i knew it was my fault entirely getting hppd, and if i can get into it, i can get myself out of it, recently this past year i am getting more and more into activities that boost self awareness and peace with my symptoms, i truthfully see the light at the end of the tunnel that is my doorway back to reality, most of us westerners dedicate our health to practitioners and prescription medicine, im here to include to those who are openminded, for being closed-minded has to do alot with your symptoms, and keeps you from coming back to reality, you may chose to wait for some miracle cure that will fix all your problems, but that day may never come, i know its hard in your position right now, but i've been through the worst spells thinking there was no way out, the truth is the cure is out there its actually right in front of you, or more truthfully is you, isn't your freedom from this caged reality worth fighting for, why sit around hating life waiting for a cure when you could actually get off your ass and do something about it, i know your waiting for me to get to the point, but just be patient, i expect most of you to turn this away and that is your loss not mine, and i can tell you it may be the hardest thing you've ever devoted yourself to.

the truth about my hppd and i can assume alot of you, wasnt the drugs, or the stress, or whatever you think triggered it. mine started more from a mind set, and one ive had my whole life, it is really hard to get into that because looking at your past self is hard to do, but i can tell you i was lazy, closed-minded, bored with my life, and not willing to do anything about it, the underlying cause of this is the way we grew up and what we were taught to believe in from our parents, teachers, authoritive figures, doctors, laws, streetsigns aka your community/society, living in this oversecure , fearful, blind society shaped me into a very dim, unpassionate, unspirtual, unaware person, you may think, 'oh, well im not like like that i love my live', well im saying this because admitted it to my self is the doorway to changing my ownlife, and to those who disagree, the easiest person to lie to is yourself,

and finally the cure: it isnt the prescription that helps you cope, or false hope in a god that will save your soul, it is simply you need to wake up, and realize that your living an abstract life full of abstract desires and wants and needs, like money, tv shows, magazines that tell you, you outta look like this to be happy, and find out what the real world really is, and the keys to help you find this and i promise it will work if you dedicate yourself to it, because it is for me, they are: meditation, a healthy diet, yoga, and taichi, also some to consider acupuncture, homeoapathy, reiki, taoism/buddism notice how your mind might automatically think that voodoo horse shit wont work, science is the only cure and science proves everthing, well people have been using these treatments for close to 5000 years and compare that to a country like usa who have only been here close to 250 years, trust me because i used to be into that same frame of mind, i it doesnt make your dreams come true, it doesnt make you happy, if you try any of the things i mentioned be for they will work for your and make your life better all at the same time. for those willing to try something new i welcome you, to a fulfilling life to those who turn your back to this and to most things of this sort, look around you, is this what you really want?

"there is everlasting peace that exist, though not in countries or in laws, but in nature, when i see nature i see absolute truth to every answer i hold, it holds everything i will ever need, and then i think that's how i will be for i cant be anything other, because i came from this earth, and trying to deny that will only confuse and distort my reality causing pain to me and others on this planet, being afraid will cause the wars i create and the diseases i make."

Don't be too quick to dismiss this post... I don't think hppdguru is necessarily saying that those things will 100% cure your symptoms... but can change your outlook on life to the point where hppd is not overtaking your life in a negative way.

I'm in agreement that a healthy positive outlook is the key to adjusting to life with hppd. I've had this for 16 years now and the symptoms have never really changed, for better or worse. but my outlook on life has changed from despair and depression to a generally positive, happy outlook. This has come from healthy eating, exercise, surfing, challenging myself to do things out of my comfort zone, having good friends/family and working for myself doing something I enjoy.

i tried my hardest not to go on medication because im the type who doesnt like to be doped up and change my chemistry by taking pills

It is ever so fascinating that people who were willing to experiment with recreational drugs for pleasure are afraid to work with a doctor and try medical drugs to improve quality of life.

The idea that unregulated, illegal drugs from dubious sources and of questionable quality is ok, but regulated, quality controlled (even more consistent than McDonalds french fries) and heavily tested though decades of scientific research – these are too dangerous to consider?

Perhaps it is simply ‘once burnt, twice shy’. Or perhaps it is a stigma of using a crutch – oh, it is ok if it is support for a broken leg but not if it is support for mood or perception.

The stuff permanently alters the brain. And that's just the way it is

I would agree, but that doesn’t mean you cannot retrain around it and greatly improve one’s lot in life. Some have made remarkable ‘recovery’.

until there are facts to prove that the "voodoo" works im gonna keep to the science

Science:

"The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment"

"A systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject"

Does study and organization mean that enough is known that nothing else should be considered?

What about Neutrinos? Dark Matter? Dark Energy?

Furthermore, is science silent about ‘healthy lifestyles’? Or meditation? No, both are strongly encouraged for success in quality of life.

Does Western science understand about chi or yin/yang? It seems to know less about this invisible energy than it does neutrinos – does that mean it doesn’t exist?

It is true that testimonials can be as annoying as hell – they prove nothing. But people can learn from each other and things that have yet to be rigidly proven with clinical trials (which cost many millions of dollars) can be tried now.

Take Keppra as an example – HPPD isn’t listed in the manufactures prescribing info. Yet it has been helpful for some on this forum.

This post from hppdguru – how do we know it just wasn’t 3 years of time that is fixing things? We don’t. But nevertheless, this post has merit (potential benefit) to us and is added to our collective body of experiences.

CAM therapies have observable benefits. So much so that there are organizations that are trying to standardize these and incorporate the modalities into Western medicine – even to the extent of being included in health insurance coverage. Why? Because currently medical practice has gaping holes that render it non-functional for millions of people.

In the end, what is the risk/benefit ratio of these things? Diet, medication, acupuncture, homeopathy, massage, … very little downside. Maybe $$$ is the biggest problem. Or perhaps getting ones hopes too high and then crashing. But both can be managed.

you may chose to wait for some miracle cure that will fix all your problems, but that day may never come

The downside risk of waiting could be substantial.

i knew after trying to find a cure and leave it up to the "professionals" … if i can get into it, i can get myself out of it

In the end, we and we alone are responsible for our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health. And we are the primary beneficiary. It would be narrow minded to think that everyone could be cured by self-determination. But it isn’t a stretch to say that everyone can at least derive some benefit.

So why not reach out and try things that you haven’t?

I've had this for 16 years now and the symptoms have never really changed, for better or worse. but my outlook on life has changed from despair and depression to a generally positive, happy outlook. This has come from healthy eating, exercise, surfing, challenging myself to do things out of my comfort zone, having good friends/family and working for myself doing something I enjoy.

So, it is possible for some to have a rich life even it they are still stuck with HPPD symptoms.

in away these things he mention are scientific... meditation has proven affects on the brain... acupuncture... well as a sceptic you could say thats a placebo still the placebo affect is powerful... religion lights up parts of the brain. It seems that people that come back with success stories overwhelmingly display the same message like Jay says push yourself out of your comfort zone hah id love to see gill write a post about his experience at the acupuncturist lol

The thing I don't like about this post and all others like it is that it makes too many assumptions about people. 'I assume this is the truth for most of you', 'you need to do this and that', 'you're like this or that'. How can you assume this? You don't know any of us personally so don't be so quick to applying all your experiences to everyone. I understand where this attitude comes from, since I used to be the same way. But I've grown up a lot, and I realize that other people's experience of this can vary a lot from mine.

Own your experiences. Instead of saying, ' you may think this or you that', how about, I think this and I did that and this is what has worked for me......

Am I right or am I right? heh.

But, not to leave things on a negative note here, I will say that I definitely agree that attitude plays a big role in this. There's the hppd, and then there's how I respond to it...... So yes, it is more than just trying to get rid of visual distortions.