Would you consider this a Genetic Predisposition, or coincidence?

wooshka

As you all know, there hasn't always been a certain link between HPPD and the genetic predisposition it may impose. 

I have some interesting facts to share with you, as you know, I have HPPD, but.. so does my brother. 

Another interesting fact is that my mother has suffered from Migraines basically since I can remember, now if this isn't something to do with genetics involving Migraines and or a predisposition, it's one hell of a coincidence. 

Please share your thoughts and I'll try and answer any question you have. 

• Upvote 14

look into the condition anti-phospholipid syndrome. it is very similar to lupus in that healthy cells are consistently attacked by the immune system. It causes a wide range of symptoms from micro heart attacks and strokes to predisposition for mental illnesses. its supposedly rare but gaining ground. My grandfather had it , my mom has it, and I have it... 

But the weird thing is my half sister (from fathers second marriage) has it as well. Somewhere in my dads family tree there was a recessive gene for it that passed over most of his family but hit me.. and my half sister.. but also hit me from my moms side.. 

i bring apls up because i am positive it put me at a severe disadvantage for permanent damage from psychedelics. call the genetics coincidence or call it another roll of the genetic die.. there is definitely the likelihood of genetic predisposition involved along the way

My mum is having migraines too and she had a 2 years DP-period right after my birth. Migraines are still there, the aura form. I had only two migraine aura attacks before getting HPPD. The correlation between these two disorders should be researched properly, I strongly believe there's a predisposition. :P

Me and my brother did alot of our drug taking together.... He came out unscathed. My dad also did LSD in the 60s and you can tell he isn't quite there sometimes (though i haven't ever chatted to him about hppd)

But, of course, genetics is not very straightforward. You could have 10 siblings with the predisposition, but it might only show up in one or two.

Definately a genetic predisposition. My mother had visual disturbances of a milder degree, which were present from childhood to her death. She also had migraines in her youth. My sister has severe migraines several times a week, with half face paralyzation. My brother had migraines before. One uncle has epilepsy, he says he sees auras around objects prior to getting a seizure.

And of course me, who had migraine with aura before getting HPPD. I was the one who was reckless enough to shovel down so much drugs that I got HPPD.. :P

As you all know, there hasn't always been a certain link between HPPD and the genetic predisposition it may impose. 

I have some interesting facts to share with you, as you know, I have HPPD, but.. so does my brother. 

Another interesting fact is that my mother has suffered from Migraines basically since I can remember, now if this isn't something to do with genetics involving Migraines and or a predisposition, it's one hell of a coincidence. 

Please share your thoughts and I'll try and answer any question you have. 

Migraines are VERY similar to epilepsy.  And HPPD is a pre-seizure like state.  So there are definitely parallels involved.  Plenty of 'genetic' migraines and 'genetic' epilepsy.

If you get a change, read Oliver Sacks book on Migraines.  Also on Hallucinations.