Candida & HPPD

Wow, all of you seem to have the use of much more complicated powers of deduction than have been available to me for many years. Part of my HPPD/PTSD causes my brain to go into uncontrolled hyperactivity resulting in confusion and increased HPPD symptoms, when I go deeply into the scientific processes of anything, much less the highly complex mechanisms of fungii and other chemicals on the brain and body. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I'm sure candidiasis has some relavence here, especially when related to LSD, which was originally derived from a fungus. For me there are so many outside influences that can increase my HPPD symptoms. Being tired or thinking too much are just 2. My Hppd showed itself 40 yrs. after LSD use following surgery and being in ICU. I had been clean and sober forever and in good health. So in my case possibly general anesthesia and severe stress may have triggered this. I haven't smoked pot for 35 years. I don't know. Why did my friends who took lots more than I did never have a problem? I do know that while my friends seemed to have fun relaxed trips. I freaked out on a level that was horrifying. There is bound to be something slightly different in HPPD brains. Can you tell I'm a little pissed? I can't drive or do a lot of things I used to enjoy. I feel like I'm not even in my body. I have meds that help, Neurontin and clonidine. Having a rough time right now because I just had surgery last week which has increased my symptoms as well. Thank you all for being there. I haven't been on this site for a while. Now with all this thinking I'd better go run some warm water over my head.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appeared 40 years after taking LSD? How long have you actually had HPPD now? Did you have any mental problems prior to your HPPD symptoms?

Sorry with all the questions ive read about delayed occurrences but 40 years it would seem hard to see that it was even connected to your drug use but idk... How did you get diagnosed with HPPD or even learn about it? I went years not knowing wtf was going on it was a big relief finding this community.

I'm an IT technician/programmer so ive kind of just used the same approach that I would for fixing Hardware or software issues... admittedly I would have just purchased a new computer by now but that obviosly isn't an option. And its less than ideal having to self medicate cos I to have crazy periods hopefully thats in the past now. It hasn't been easy getting to where I am at the moment lots of painful dead ends.

One of my doctors once recommended clonidine, I asked about it on here and no one seemed to have any luck with it... what do you find it does for you?

Hi Penny, Thanks for responding to my ravings. I really do feel alone out here. In 2009 I had a thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer. It's a long story, but I ended up in icu unable to breath very well and lots of complications. When I got home from that I noticed what I described as hieroglyphics on every surface and kind of a strobbing thing. I'm 58 now and in the 60's I took really strong acid like it was candy. Throughout my life from time to time I've had a few mild occurrences rarely of some trails and patterns but only for a matter of seconds. Now it was so bad I couldn't drive. No one would listen. And yes I have serious PTSD, but I just stay in continuous therapy and I was on SSRIs. Went to a neuro-opthamologist and my visual field tests were totally off. I'll tell you what, most docs are clueless about this. I ended up in the psych unit convinced I must be schizo. Luckily I had a psychiatrist who had seen this once before in someone who had not taken drugs for over 20 yrs. He attributed it to being in ICU struggling to breath and fearing for my life, all sorts of anesthesia and the previous disruption of my neurotransmitters due to LSD were probably always in delicate balance anyway. I'm sorry you had this for a long time before it was diagnosed. I was also relieved, but it's screwed up my life in a lot of ways. I haven't had it that long. What has happened to me is really, really rare and probably a bit of bad luck on my part. My neuro-opthamologist has never seen a case. I don't want people to be scarred this can happen to them. Part of having PTSD involves serious damage sometimes to the amygdala and hippocampus of the brain, which are also involved in neurotransmitters. One part of the diagnosis is that when they stopped SSRIs it got slightly better. I wish I could take klonopin, but I'm a recovering addict and it's too risky. The clonidine is an alternative that helps a bit. It's basically a blood pressure med and I guess its calming effect on the cns is better than nothing. It's weird because it has also been used to help people withdraw from opiates. If I can find some better informed docs Maybe I can find something else. I take .1 mg 4x a day. I would like to hear how HPPD came about in your life. Sounds like you are functioning pretty well. I guess I'm just an old train wreck. Alisa

Alisa,

That sounds very tuff, prety severe. I have heard when I read the thosewithvisualsnow board, people getting the symptoms after anesthesia. Also some got PFO with the stress.

I had hppd leave and then come back after 18 years of virtually symptom free. Now have had it worse in ways than ever before for the last 8 years.

Clonodine has a sedative effect as I know but has not actually alleviated the visual/auditory symptoms of anyone I knew of. So some take it to help them sleep.

Cheers mate its alot better this morning, im getting a strange sensation in my left ear like a valve is being turned on and off slightly, i keep hearing little snippets of extra frequency kinda like when you can hear outside but when you open the window its less bassy and clearer IDK this is all really weird.

I'm still going with this im finding it very difficult at the moment I had quite a bumpy week.

I've been feeling uber depressed thinking negatively alot. I keep telling myself its my mind playing tricks and im trying to pay no attention to the things that pop into my head. I've been going hardcore on the anti-candida im experiencing alot of acidity, stomach and throat pain.

I'm now taking 5 sachets of threelac a day and an oxygen supplement on top of my current regime. I keep getting periods normally in the evenings where my depression and anxiety completely goes its acompanied by the vivid vision I described before its the best feeling but its proving difficult to hang onto. My tinnitus has calmed a bit but it still going noticeably in my left ear. My left ear is also really gunky like my ear is draining a load of crap pretty disgusting but I can feel my sinuses clearing up which is ace.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I havent updated, (if any one is following) ive been (am) seriously ill and didn't feel like visiting the site

No real good news unfortunatly, ive had times where I feel im nearly there... really clear visuals and then something else crops up and things get really bad again.

My sinus drainage is insane the past couple of days I can feel it coming from the top of my head, it get stuck at the back of my throat and I spend ages trying to clear it and when I do more comes down, I haven't slept in 2 days properly because of this shit. Its proper thick and sticky it coats my teeth and its horrid. When I do sleep im having crazy dreams and when I awake imy visuals are really intense like im still half dreaming. I'm 100% positive that the head pressure ive been feeling over the years is all this crap which is draining from my head.

The reason its been so bad the past couple of days is because I started oil pulling with coconut oill (google). It increases your saliva flow which helps clear your sinuses it also help clear toxins and oral infections.

I have no idea where I am at the moment im just sticking with it progress is painfully slow and my life is completely on hold sad.gif

Sorry I havent updated, (if any one is following) ive been (am) seriously ill and didn't feel like visiting the site

No real good news unfortunatly, ive had times where I feel im nearly there... really clear visuals and then something else crops up and things get really bad again.

My sinus drainage is insane the past couple of days I can feel it coming from the top of my head, it get stuck at the back of my throat and I spend ages trying to clear it and when I do more comes down, I haven't slept in 2 days properly because of this shit. Its proper thick and sticky it coats my teeth and its horrid. When I do sleep im having crazy dreams and when I awake imy visuals are really intense like im still half dreaming. I'm 100% positive that the head pressure ive been feeling over the years is all this crap which is draining from my head.

The reason its been so bad the past couple of days is because I started oil pulling with coconut oill (google). It increases your saliva flow which helps clear your sinuses it also help clear toxins and oral infections.

I have no idea where I am at the moment im just sticking with it progress is painfully slow and my life is completely on hold sad.gif

By some reason i cannot access that particular section. I think it is important to get the right threads in the right sections. David has been notified but has not answered yet. I guess he is too busy. As soon as that section is ok i'll move it. There are a couple of other threads that belong there as well.

I get an error message trying to access it, anyone else get that when klicking the link to alternative medecine? If you do please post in the existing thread in the "suggestion" section.

Penny, You're the man for offering that! For real, thanks dude.

I just got my tax return check in some i have some funds to get going as well as my school semester just finished so I have a little time. So, I'll be getting some of those supplements mentioned. I'm actually doing a 48 hr ambulatory EEg because of my first abnormal EEg results on the short one. So hopefully be getting to start keppra soon and see if that will help any.

How are you feeling now? Any improvements..

I'm doing really great man my vision is vivid nearly all the time now I still have static but sometimes it gets dulled down as if i had taken a benzo. Everything seems more real and solid and my mood has been mostly good. I'm still experiencing some aches and pains and some occasional bouts of anxiety/depression/brain fog/dr it all seems to hit all at the same time but im handling it alot better because now when it happens I know it will pass within hours rather than weeks or months... im really excited to see if things will improve further.

Graduation is over. I like this thread for a few reasons, but I'm typing on my phone so do not have time to address it all. One, there is a class of antibiotics with central nervous system activity (not to alarm anyone, so I will discuss later).

Permission problems affect me also. I will be fixing this when at real computer.

Dk

Hey David

First off congrats on all your accomplishments!

Any chance you may be referring to quinolones? I have many negative comments to make for them, specifically cipro.

Penny,

That's awesome, I totally and completely blew my diet tonight. Very rare for mr to do but it get so difficult to stay disciplined in some social situations.

Yeah the diet sucks I could murder a doughnut and some beer, but ive invested to much in this, hopefully by christmas I will have this in check I dont want another candida christmas.... imagine christmas without sugar :angry: Good luck with the keppra by the way fingers crossed for you mate.

Hey David

First off congrats on all your accomplishments!

Any chance you may be referring to quinolones? I have many negative comments to make for them, specifically cipro.

Penny,

That's awesome, I totally and completely blew my diet tonight. Very rare for mr to do but it get so difficult to stay disciplined in some social situations.

Thanks man! I'm actually sitting here with a 18000 dollar fanny pack wired to my brain. And ya, I have to sign a waiver saying that's the cost of replacement.. Unreal actually. I agree with you man, my last xmas was awful without potatoes, rolls, pies, etc. Just ate turkey and ham and vegetables.. I'm really stoked you're feeling better and I really do think for some of us Candida is a problem. I feel more mental stable and energy stable through out the day when I've been following the diet.

So keep at it!

Honestly I wanted to blow my diet for a few days before this test because the Ketogenic diet and Candida diet are pretty damn similar. The Ketogenic diet is to decrease seizures activity but if there is anything going on I don't want it to be masked by the diet during the test.. So hopefully it won't set me back too far on the candida diet by blowing it for a few days. I actually still haven't had any sugar- just added grains/carbs back in.

" The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. The diet mimics aspects of starvation by forcing the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fuelling brain function. However, if there is very little carbohydrate in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source. An elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood, a state known as ketosis, leads to a reduction in the frequency of epileptic seizures.[1]" "

Also, your music in the other subforum sounds kickass dude.

Yeah the diet sucks I could murder a doughnut and some beer, but ive invested to much in this, hopefully by christmas I will have this in check I dont want another candida christmas.... imagine christmas without sugar :angry: Good luck with the keppra by the way fingers crossed for you mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update still continuing treatment. I'm experiencing severe mood changes one day ill feel uber confident and then I have difficulty leaving the house. My vision is erratic as well the Vivid vision I described deteriorated for a week or so but its been back a couple of days and its the best it has been for as long as I remember. I don't know what else to write its more of the same really... it seems to go like this... I start to feel better and then I feel worse but after a few cycles I start to reach a new lvl of feeling better and then I get ill again and so on and so on. I will say today feels really special like i'm at a turning point but I have had these feelings before, I don't think im out of the woods yet.

How is the keppra going Ludwig?