New Relationships with HPPD

ollie

What everyone's experiences with starting new relationships (girlfriend / boyfriend) with HPPD?

As we know parts of this disorder cause differing effects. Making it harder to be a happy, confident, outgoing person.

The abstaining from alcohol seem to be the greatest issue myself. How do you get the courage to speak to the beautiful babe in the club/pub, let alone jump into bed with her without the magical booze. I still think going out with a non drinker seems a bit weird, part of my culture I suppose.

When did you let on to him/her about HPPD or have you kept it a secret.

Anyways let me know you stories.

When i contracted hppd i had been together with my girlfriend for almost three years, i told her about hppd then and we are still going steady and are soon celebrating our 4th anniversary! I still drink moderate amounts, i never get shitfaced anymore but i guess my wallet and my liver thanks me for tat. What i want to say is that HPPD doesn't have to change your social life, i mean i have friends that barely drinks and nobody seems to bother.

I didn't quit alcohol... So it was easier... I really can't see 4-5 bottled beers every now and again really affecting hppd too much. It's enough to take the edge of the anxiety and let your hair down while you swoop in on that sexy lady. Drink a glass of water when you get home, take a paracetomal/acetaminophen (reduces swelling, which causes hangover) and eat a banana... Job done, no hangover.

Also, I think men can get away with being a bit withdrawn and quiet, adds to the mystery. Unless you're an ugly bugger... then you need to learn some jokes.

btw - I told my girlfirend (now wife) about hppd about 1 year into the relationship, which was about 3 years into my hppd. I was going to various doctors and trying meds, so she needed to know, at that point.

As I just discovered what hppd is 6 months ago I think all my exs over the years just thought I was nuts and moody. Now i can tell my next girlfriend I have an actual neurological/phsychological disorder. Dunno if that makes it sound better or worse, lol. I used to binge drink and inevitably black out to 'escape' from my hppd, and sometimes I'd wake up in some randoms bed lol. Now I know hppd is a factor I can control my drinking better. I react better to the women that throw themselves at me anyway. Im not good with rejection. I'm not particularly outgoing in a pub sober. Couple clonos and a couple of beers can't hurt though.

Shame on you jay, paracetamol is really bad together with alcohol! Ibuprofen is better ;)

Yea, you're right... better for the liver... But I was talking about 4-5 botlles of beer...... If you are on a big session, don't take paracetamol!

Advocating any sort of alcohol consumption for someone with HPPD is really bad advice...

A couple of beers can hurt. It's not worth the risk guys!

http://hppdonline.co...effect-on-hppd/

Even if you think alcohol does not alter your HPPD in any way right now, you never know when it might do...

Listen to me, I wish I had this advice when I had super mild HPPD. Unfortunetely this forum was down at that time.

Fair enough ghormeh. But if I died tomorrow (not planning to lol). Some of the drinking sessions I have had while having HPPD will be the best memories il have had. Sunny days having a few and a laugh with mates. Only when my baseline has stabilised of course. When there's been a flare up and a plummet it doesn't matter what you do, drink, drugs, anything, friendship, family. . Nothing eases your internal pain. And that's what it is, phsychological agony.

I've always thought of my hppd being pretty high on the 'richter scale' of hppd if you could call it something like that. Allthough, there's worse off than me. Anything 7-10 is some hefty tectonic plates moving about, or say a volcano as an analogy. When its active it's all woe is me and fire n brimstone but when it dies down, and is somewhat more dormant then it's get on with trying to live a 'normal' life based on your own shitty baseline, and if that's having a few drinks and dealing With the after effects then so be it. I live a healthy lifestyle otherwise.

If your own personal volcano (a piss poor analogy, I apologise) rages night n day with no respite then nobody would be more sorry for that individual than me cos ive been there as we all have. if you've looked into your own soul and seen the worst it has to offer can a couple of cold pints really be that bad?

Advocating any sort of alcohol consumption for someone with HPPD is really bad advice...

I'm getting a little tired of reading this on every thread that mentions alcohol....

I imagine alot of people here want to hear other people's honest views on certain topics... Saying something like "I really can't see 4-5 bottled beers every now and again really affecting hppd", is just an opinion anyway... Not advice.

No one has to follow that "advice" and you'd be stupid to follow any advice on an internet forum without researching and thinking the subject through yourself.

Absolutly every aspect of HPPD seems to be personal to the sufferer.. So every bit of advice on here, including David's and even Dr Abraham's has the potential to screw you over.

If you follow Dr.A's med advice, you will likely end up addicted to Klonopin and face years of withdrawal pain. Do I still want to hear his advice, even though it goes against my personal view of treatment? Of course I do... I will just not blindly follow it.

I'm getting a little tired of reading this on every thread that mentions alcohol....

I imagine alot of people here want to hear other people's honest views on certain topics... Saying something like "I really can't see 4-5 bottled beers every now and again really affecting hppd", is just an opinion anyway... Not advice.

No one has to follow that "advice" and you'd be stupid to follow any advice on an internet forum without researching and thinking the subject through yourself.

Absolutly every aspect of HPPD seems to be personal to the sufferer.. So every bit of advice on here, including David's and even Dr Abraham's has the potential to screw you over.

If you follow Dr.A's med advice, you will likely end up addicted to Klonopin and face years of withdrawal pain. Do I still want to hear his advice, even though it goes against my personal view of treatment? Of course I do... I will just not blindly follow it.

A little bit of hyperbole going on there don’t you think? I’ve mentioned it on two threads, for wider viewing, and it was simply a copy paste job, posted around the same time.

You may not have intended it as advice, but if someone reads it and takes it into consideration when forming a decision whether to drink alcohol or not, then it has the effect of advice.

I say this because, to me at least, it is clear that HPPD can be significantly affected by alcohol, evidenced by polls and accounts of forum members. Its avoidance is ‘imperative’ according to Dr. Abraham (although, like you, I don’t necessarily agree with everything he says). Alcohol is not thought of as a drug, even though it is… and it’s not a soft drug either. Research shows that it clearly as a more significant effect on the body than something like caffeine (which, as it happens, I also avoid, based on own considerations and under advice from the doc). If someone said on another thread, ‘I can’t see a couple of joints really affecting HPPD’ would you be happy with that? Maybe not to you, but to me that’s a valid analogy because of how I’ve been affected by alcohol and because how others have too.

Me warning people of the dangers of alcohol on various is similar to your warning people of the danger of Klonopin on the threads where people talk about it, which I have seen you do, and I am glad that you do it. Maybe I have been a little more forthright, but sometimes a strong message is needed to get through to people. It’s an open forum, you can say what you like, but I just think it’s important to let people consider different angles, so I will have my say too. Irrespective, my post wasn’t necessarily aimed at you specifically, it was more aimed at people in general. Lots of forum members have a relaxed attitude to alcohol, for one reason or another.

I say this because I care, and because I don’t want others to go through potentially needless significant pain which could be avoided. I don’t post much at the moment because I find it difficult to sit down and focus with pain that I have – the only reason I logged in was because I thought it was important. Anyway I’ve had my say, I’ll leave it at that for the time being.

You're welcome to your views, as is everyone. I just don't like the way you are wording it, like it is 100% a black and white issue.

I have abused alcohol and have a long history with it... I have many, many times stated on here that heavy use is bad for hppd and not recomended. One of our members died from liver failure self medicating... It's no secret that we all know there are risks.

But light alcohol use has helped me gain some normality and build friendships, so I feel it is worth discussing.

Anyone who follows my posts should know that I am not the most responsible person on here.... I drink, i occasionally do cocaine and opiates... i've even tripped, smoked weed and done MDMA post hppd.. even after a full mental breakdown.

Don't follow me for advice, i really hope that moderator tag doesn't lull people into thinking i'm on top of this shit... I'm just hear giving my honest account of my own story.... nothing more, nothing less

The pivotal truth that makes finding 'cures' so difficult

Yep, partly due to the majority having used multiple drugs to get hppd...

I'm sure someone who got hppd through lsd could have very different reactions to things than someone who got hppd through mdma. Then you start with the multi drug users and it's a real minefield to set any kind of hppd "benchmark".