Does HPPD have any effect on an unborn baby?

Meadow

Hello,

for me it is just a theoretical question. I am not pregnant and not plan to be it soon.

But I wondered if those symptoms do have any (negative) effect on a baby.

Of course everyone should be as reasonable to stop taking drugs when awaiting a new family member, if the person did not stop taking them already.

Right now I can't think of a way how optics should influence those circumstances, but maybe other symptoms do?

Well, thanks in advance :-)

I've had two kids while I've had hppd (well, not me personally but my respective girlfriends at the time), and I worry about if I've passed a dodgy gene that's susceptible to hppd and if it would effect him without even touching drugs. My boy takes after me and while he is a very sensitive type and a bit on the hyperactive side he's normal enough lol. I don't know if it would be different in the mothers case if she had hppd but I think it would be the same. The kid would just be genetically predisposed to hppd more so than usual if they took the trigger drugs. You'd just have to hope they have the sense to not go there in the first place.

If hppd is caused by epigenetic changes then it may alter what genes are switched on in your offspring, as these can be heritable. But if the gene expression changes are locally located in the brain and dont affect the zygotes (as is probable), then offspring will be unaffected. If hppd is a sign of genetic chemical sensitivity/neurological weakness then it may be an indicator that the foetus/child may be more likely to have some sort of damage if you have a chemical exposure or other stress, or more susceptable to hppd when exposed to drugs. For that reason a hppder should probably remain in touch with their offspring if there is a family break up (and avoid sperm donation) just so they can be made aware of their potential susceptibilities when inevitably they are exposed to drugs.

My wife is due in october, keeping her well fed with micronutrients, and dosing her with acetyl cysteine (reduces miscarriage risk as well). She has taken hallucinogens before without hppd - hopefully i'm breeding out my susceptibilty!

My child got hppd from me. At age 6 he said in the dark he was seeing ants marching all over.(visual snow) I let it go and payed it wasn't related. But some years later he started telling me of even more perceptual issues worse then even mine. He has never taken any drug or been around any drug. He has had dental work with laughing gas and antibiotics for respiratory or ear infections and he has an inhaler just for bad times like flu season. That's it. I did breast feed I don't know if that makes a difference.

It's really scary when you pass this on because how do you help them:(

My child got hppd from me. At age 6 he said in the dark he was seeing ants marching all over.(visual snow) I let it go and payed it wasn't related. But some years later he started telling me of even more perceptual issues worse then even mine. He has never taken any drug or been around any drug. He has had dental work with laughing gas and antibiotics for respiratory or ear infections and he has an inhaler just for bad times like flu season. That's it. I did breast feed I don't know if that makes a difference.

Lots of people have visual snow with no drug history. You were most likely genetically predisposed to that kind of condition and passed that predisposition on to your son but I doubt that the activation of your symptoms (from drug use) had any effect on his predisposition, he was just unlucky in that his condition began without drug use. He would have had it even if you never used drugs so its not your fault. At least thats what I think but I could be wrong. On the plus side I think that people born with visuals generally have less of the other mental issues like derealization/anxiety with them and dr is definately worse than any visuals.

What I wonder now:

Are those predisposed genes in us from the very beginning and drugs kind of activate them? If it's this way, these genes have to come from somewhere, most likely from our parents. And if they don't have any symptoms can the genes remain quiet when not activated?

Or is it us changing the genes somehow? so we are the only ones to blame, if you want to blame anyone^^

Sorry, I don't know about what's going on in the body at all...

I would just understand it's a possibility that your child could have it that you could pass it down.

I had no idea When I had my child the thought did cross my mind. Just be prepared to keep your child away from all drugs and if he does just have it without the use of drugs like mine be prepared to be there for him/her for life.

I read what you wrote about your son and since he's having migraine sessions, are you sure that he's not suffering from PMA?

What I wonder now:

Are those predisposed genes in us from the very beginning and drugs kind of activate them? If it's this way, these genes have to come from somewhere, most likely from our parents. And if they don't have any symptoms can the genes remain quiet when not activated?

Or is it us changing the genes somehow? so we are the only ones to blame, if you want to blame anyone^^

Sorry, I don't know about what's going on in the body at all...

You shouldn't blame yourself for anything...I mean it is our fault for taking the hallucinogens but I heard "duuuuuuuuuude shrooms changed my life. you gotta trip dude" so many times without ever hearing about HPPD. Even in health class in my fucking GOVERNMENT FUNDED PUBLIC SCHOOL the only negative effects of hallucinogens we learned about were bad trips and the possibility of unlocking schizoprenia/psychosis. I never even heard of HPPD until after my first trip. And even then I remember on the wikipedia page for LSD the description said it usually goes away in days and it didn't even sound that bad. It's totally my fault for putting that strip of LSD on my tongue, but I think if HPPD wasn't so underwhelmed everywhere I would have never touched the stuff. Anyways the point I'm trying to get to is to not blame or be mad at yourself about this. It is in genetics so we might have gotten it sooner or later without drug use no matter what. who knows.

Also from my basic knowledge of genes from my basic-highschool biology class i took a while ago, it seems to me (but I'm not sure) that this 'HPPD trait' is most likely recessive meaning your parents might not have visual disturbances but they might have carried the gene from your grandparents. Anyways that's just a total guess but it's how I see HPPD in terms of genetics. Just a theory from someone with basic genetic knowledge.

@emily - could you go more in depth about your son? I'm kinda curious about how bad it is and how a 6 year old would handle something like this. It's still a very adaptive age so I hope it doesn't really bother him.

I read what you wrote about your son and since he's having migraine sessions, are you sure that he's not suffering from PMA?

if your son has migraine sessions i think its PMA not passed down HPPD. also i think this would show that PMA and HPPD are one and the same thing and caused by the same underlying cause(genes) as i always stated.

nah see, alot of research has to be done.

and gene therapy is a real new field of science, if its caused by gene expression i think these gene silence methods hope1 is posting about could do its job.(this would be the best option)

but first the gene(s) which makes trouble has to be located, then you have to take a look on the tasks it has maybe it is not possible to influence because it is necessary for other mechanism of the body.

a gene defect would be the worst case i think because who knows if its ever possible to edit the DNA in a safe way.

but maybe its possible to find a treatment not a cure. if for example the located gene is responsible for the mechanism of a special protein or its utilization you could influence this by meds.

maybe dr A. is near the edge because of his COMT inhibitor findings. lets see what research will discover in the next years.

My son just turned 3 a few days ago. I knew something was up when he didn't reach his milestones. Was diagnosed with mild autism. The both of us didn't plan on it so she smoked for the first six weeks unknowingly but shed sneak a few puffs once in a while without me knowing. Her boss told me and we had a major fight. She even smoked after brestfeeding. Was 35 when she had him but doctors say that her very limited smoking and I do mean limited from what I know wouldn't have damaged my son to that extent so I wonder in a sugnificant way if his condition is my fault. Just another fucking laugh at my expense god?

Thanks a lot...dick

I will definitely check out the pma. Thank you for the idea. When he first told me of he's vision problems (the ants) my heart sunk I thought there was no way how could such an innocent be effect by my bad calls. I did everything I could to put it out of my mind but his fear of the dark was so intense. That's what I noticed the most with him was he was so fearful of the dark.

We didn't revisit the issue till he was older then he told me he saw faces in the dark and colors flashing. Later he started having migraines. We have been to one eye doc. About visual snow because it's hard for him to read at times.

The dr. Was no help he said it was just the aura of the migraine I explained this is constant 24 7 not just 30min before a killer headache. We didn't even mention the other stuff.

I was off all drugs and alcohol years before he was conceived.

He's always been very advanced in a strange way he's very deep and to the point in a way most children are not.

When you love someone so deeply you never want them to suffer in any way. I know without a doubt Its my job to be there for him always in anyway he may need me.

Hope 1

I'm so very sorry! It is not your fault. I can't imagine autism has anything to do with hppd. I know many people truly believe it's environmental.

There is an amazing school in Austin Tx. For autistic children. I'm not sure if that's an option for you but they have done and achieved amazing things at this school. Hbo did a documentary them.

I felt the same question you had for God REALLY!?! I feel like crawling under something and just hiding forever. It's just not an option for me. Now I as you do have to find strength for our children they need us.

• 2 months later...

Don't we mothers have enough to blame ourselves for. Kidding aside, I do see a lot of good points on this subject here. I talked to a geneticist at Duke regarding my sons heart defect. One of my questions was why does there seem to be an increase in defects in babies these days. He said it could be any number of things and to just look at the ozone layer and the millions of chemicals that have been added to our world. Anyway, I thought that was interesting