Long term consequences of GABAergic agonists on HPPD

Has anyone gone through benzodiazepine withdrawal and had their HPPD permanently worse? I had Phenibut withdrawal (VDCC blocker & GABAb agonist) withdrawal and my symptoms have been quite exacerbated. I think what's happening is GABAb receptor desensitization and AMPA/NMDA sensitivity; leading to a net increase in neuronal excitability and making my condition worse. 

5 hours ago, James3524 said:

Has anyone gone through benzodiazepine withdrawal and had their HPPD permanently worse? I had Phenibut withdrawal (VDCC blocker & GABAb agonist) withdrawal and my symptoms have been quite exacerbated. I think what's happening is GABAb receptor desensitization and AMPA/NMDA sensitivity; leading to a net increase in neuronal excitability and making my condition worse. 

Interesting. What I found is that I'm "better" overall after benzo use. However I can't escape the permanent visuals.

Edited by brake

On 2/29/2024 at 7:51 PM, brake said:

Interesting. What I found is that I'm "better" overall after benzo use. However I can't escape the permanent visuals.

I’ve been on Klonopin every day for 14 years. So do you think even if I went through a proper withdrawal, all of my symptoms would return permanently? I couldn’t handle that ☹️

On 3/5/2024 at 10:46 AM, AF44 said:

I’ve been on Klonopin every day for 14 years. So do you think even if I went through a proper withdrawal, all of my symptoms would return permanently? I couldn’t handle that ☹️

I don't know. I've never been through the experience. I have symptoms even on the benzos lol. I'm used to it.

On 3/5/2024 at 10:46 AM, AF44 said:

You need  to taper very slowly if you decide to get off. The taper might even take a few years. My flare up from Phenibut is slowly baselining, though. It is a voltage-gated calcium channel blocker but has some GABA-b agonism. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 7:56 PM, joegives said:

It didn’t in my case. I was on clonazepam for a year. It did, however create some new cognitive issues that are very slowly going away (but may be permanent)

If you don’t mind me asking, what sort of cognitive issues?

On 3/9/2024 at 8:20 AM, brake said:

I don't know. I've never been through the experience. I have symptoms even on the benzos lol. I'm used to it.

I still have symptoms as well but I’m mostly normal feeling. I do get flares though that are REALLY bad. I hate it.

• 2 weeks later...