Long term consequences of GABAergic agonists on HPPD

Has anyone gone through benzodiazepine withdrawal and had their HPPD permanently worse? I had Phenibut withdrawal (VDCC blocker & GABAb agonist) withdrawal and my symptoms have been quite exacerbated. I think what's happening is GABAb receptor desensitization and AMPA/NMDA sensitivity; leading to a net increase in neuronal excitability and making my condition worse. 

5 hours ago, James3524 said:

Has anyone gone through benzodiazepine withdrawal and had their HPPD permanently worse? I had Phenibut withdrawal (VDCC blocker & GABAb agonist) withdrawal and my symptoms have been quite exacerbated. I think what's happening is GABAb receptor desensitization and AMPA/NMDA sensitivity; leading to a net increase in neuronal excitability and making my condition worse. 

Interesting. What I found is that I'm "better" overall after benzo use. However I can't escape the permanent visuals.

Edited by brake

On 2/29/2024 at 7:51 PM, brake said:

Interesting. What I found is that I'm "better" overall after benzo use. However I can't escape the permanent visuals.

I’ve been on Klonopin every day for 14 years. So do you think even if I went through a proper withdrawal, all of my symptoms would return permanently? I couldn’t handle that ☹️

On 3/5/2024 at 10:46 AM, AF44 said:

I’ve been on Klonopin every day for 14 years. So do you think even if I went through a proper withdrawal, all of my symptoms would return permanently? I couldn’t handle that ☹️

I don't know. I've never been through the experience. I have symptoms even on the benzos lol. I'm used to it.

On 3/5/2024 at 10:46 AM, AF44 said:

You need  to taper very slowly if you decide to get off. The taper might even take a few years. My flare up from Phenibut is slowly baselining, though. It is a voltage-gated calcium channel blocker but has some GABA-b agonism. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 7:56 PM, joegives said:

It didn’t in my case. I was on clonazepam for a year. It did, however create some new cognitive issues that are very slowly going away (but may be permanent)

If you don’t mind me asking, what sort of cognitive issues?

On 3/9/2024 at 8:20 AM, brake said:

I don't know. I've never been through the experience. I have symptoms even on the benzos lol. I'm used to it.

I still have symptoms as well but I’m mostly normal feeling. I do get flares though that are REALLY bad. I hate it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2024 at 5:05 AM, joegives said:

Really scary short term memory issues

Omg! That’s what I have!! My short term memory is so bad it literally scares the crap out of me. Sometimes it’s like I have a mini fugue. For instance, the other day I took my son down our main drag so he could buy some kind of cord he needed for his headphones or whatnot. Then he wanted to go to the art shop to get good quality colored pencils. He asked me to hold the computer cord while we looked at the different boxes of pencils they had. It took a bit for him to decide what he wanted. We went to the counter to pay. As we walked out the door, he said, “Do you have my computer cord?” (Good thing he asked because I had completely forgotten we’d even gone to that store.) We walked back into the art shop and I kept looking and looking at the shelves of pencils, thinking maybe I had lain it down on one, but no dice. So I went to the cashier and actually asked if someone had turned in a computer cord. What happened was that I had been holding it, set it on the counter when we paid for the pencils, and immediately forgot the whole computer store trip/me holding onto the cable thing had ever even happened. It was just a blank spot from the time we left the computer store. Didn’t even remember we’d gone in there first. The other scary thing is that I have loved to read since I was a little girl. I had almost an eidetic memory when I was young. At any rate, my memory is so bad I hesitate checking out books by authors I like, because I have no idea if I’ve read the book or not. Then I will crack it open and think, oh yeah, I did read it because some scenes are familiar to me and I kind of remember the gist. All of the books I read generally have a plot twist or even a double plot twist at the end. It’s so bad that even if I’ve read the book before, I have no idea how it ends and am shocked at the twist! Which I guess in one way is a bit cool (hey, I might not ever need to buy a new book again!) but mostly it scares the crap out of me ☹️