Propranolol 20mg

dreisind

I recently started taking Propranolol, and I have to say that it's really helped me deal with my situation. It hasn't lessened any particular symptom, but it totally gets rid of that knot in your stomach, and for me that has been half the battle (well, maybe not half...but it's better than nothing).

For those of you unfamiliar with Propranolol, it's prescribed for high-blood pressure at higher doses, and is used off label at low doses for things like stage fright, shaky hands, etc...It basically cuts your adrenaline, and pretty much gets rid of your fight or flight response.

Not a panacea, but it's great at keeping your physical response from hijacking your thoughts. I take 10mg in the morning and 10mg at night (which helps for those early morning panic attacks)

Talk to your doc, and make sure he checks your blood pressure and heart rate before prescribing it (if either are too low you might be out of luck)

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Yes!  Both great anti-anxiety medications!  I'm not a psychiatrist, but I work with them at my job. Propranolol is a beta blocker, non-addictive, and often prescribed for performance anxiety, or to treat panic disorders.  In the past i've taken Lexapro, and it really helped with my anxiety.  Coming off it sucked though, and I felt like there were fireworks going off in my brain, turns out that is a researched phenomenon!  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/creativity-way-life/201107/fireworks-or-brain-zaps

Cheers

• Upvote 1