Wisdom teeth removal

My dentist reccomended I get my wisdom teeth removed when I went in for my appointment today. I know it's necessary, but I'm scared that the drugs they give me during/after the procedure will make my HPPD much worse. Wether that's permanently worse or temporarily. There's the anesthetics they use during the procedure & the pain killers after (one is ibprophen and the other is an opiate.) 

Should I be concerned? My hppd is mild-moderate, but it already interferes with my life quite a bit and I'm rather scared that the drugs could make everything worse. I'm terrified of it reverting back to when I first got it. My symptoms were horrible, and I feel like they're manageable now.

Any thoughts or advice would be extremely helpful. 

I’d try and stay away from nitrous oxide which dentists sometimes use. 

I did 24 nos balloons after smoking 3 joints and it made my hppd worse than when it first started but only for about a week then it returned to being manageable. 

I’ve only being experiencing symptoms for about 5 weeks and about 2 weeks in i was already taking ecstasy, ketamine and nitrous and I’ve been smoking weed every day other than a 5 day break when I first noticed visual symptoms. 

Anyway if you do experience worse symptoms after the procedure just pop some valiums and I’m sure you’ll be fine 

Edited by Tn99

On 2/6/2019 at 8:19 PM, Tn99 said:

I’d try and stay away from nitrous oxide which dentists sometimes use. 

I did 24 nos balloons after smoking 3 joints and it made my hppd worse than when it first started but only for about a week then it returned to being manageable. 

I’ve only being experiencing symptoms for about 5 weeks and about 2 weeks in i was already taking ecstasy, ketamine and nitrous and I’ve been smoking weed every day other than a 5 day break when I first noticed visual symptoms. 

Anyway if you do experience worse symptoms after the procedure just pop some valiums and I’m sure you’ll be fine 

Are you sure your symptoms couldn't have been enhanced by the joints? And doing 24 whippets? Because that sounds like a lot of extra stuff that I don't plan on doing. Weed is what triggered my HPPD to go into full blown hppd, so I'm not going to touch it until at least two years after my symptoms go away.

I really hope you're doing okay, that's a whole lot of drugs in a very short span of time. I used to be a moderate user of quite a few things, so I can't really scorn you. But my personal recommendation would be to stop doing drugs (especially ecstact, K, and weed, which have all been known to cause & worsen hppd) while you're ahead if you're already having some symptoms. Sounds like you're really rolling the dice my friend. I hope you're doin ok! Thank you for your input ((: 

26 minutes ago, MadDoc said:

I've been through a number of procedures where they put me under.  I've never had any opiate medication afterwards.  My symptoms never seemed any worse during recovery or in the long haul. 

Wow, thank you so much! That's very helpful. I really appreciate that, that makes me feel better. Thanks MadDoc! ((:

• 3 years later...

You can tell your dentist about your HPPD. I think before using anesthesia, dentists should check for allergic reactions or compatibility. So it will be better to do some tests before removing wisdom teeth. I also removed my wisdom teeth because I wanted to fix my crooked teeth. Before making braces, dentists often suggest removing wisdom teeth. The teeth have a place to straighten. I had 3 injections during the removal, and my HPPD didn't get worse. I took off my braces a year ago and did teeth whitening at https://thehealthysmile.net/dental-services/cosmetic-dentistry-bay-village-ohio/. I wanted my new smile to be very bright.

Edited by andersrer

• 1 month later...

I understand your concern about your HPPD and the potential impact of the drugs used during your wisdom teeth removal. It's always best to talk to your dentist about your specific concerns and ask for their advice. They may be able to offer alternative options or provide more information on how to manage your symptoms during and after the procedure. Remember, it's important to prioritize your health and the removal of your wisdom teeth may is necessary for long-term oral health. More dentists options here jeffreygrossdds.com if you will think about it. Keep us updated and stay positive! 

Edited by ReynoldYasmin