Out Of The Blue

I've had HPPD for roughly 22 years. My visuals which were primarily floaters, a little static in my left peripheral vision and after images stabilized for many years. Two day ago the floaters increases dramatically in my right eye as well as a new phenomenon; some kind of flashing that I see at night when I move my eyes quickly like when I'm driving. So dark environment coupled with fast reflexive eye movement causing a flash effect. Is this hppd or could it be something else?

Floaters are not hppd. They are completely natural (though noticing them more might be a side effect of hppd). You can get surgery if they are really problematic. The flashing is most likely hppd related though... My entire visual field flashes about 6 times a second... It's my worst symptom. Have you had any additional stress these last few days? 

I have had an incredible amount of stress of late. The flashing is gone but initial onset of hppd yielded floaters or floater like visuals. The eye doctor detected them in my right eye but not my left so what is it I have going in in my left eye. Going on 22 years with hppd. I hate it.

People link floaters with hppd because, at onset, they are constantly monitoring their visual field and start to notice the natural things too. I had floaters since about the age of five. If they are problematic, you can get surgery that blasts them (they come back after a few years)

Glad the flashing has stopped for you

• Like 2