I think I have hppd :(

ryland05

So, I was an idiot and tried acid earlier on in the year, had a bad trip, and was never going to try it again. Everything was fine for a couple of months. Fast forward until about 7/8 days ago. I had a flashback while trying to go to sleep... Since I had a bad trip, it was accompanied by an extreme panic attack, that I was in the same state of mind as I was when I was tripping. Since then, I have been seeing things that a normal person doesn't see... Like: tracers on anything that moves, not too bad, lasting maybe a split second; phosphenes under my eyelids when I close them, these morph into shapes like eyes some times, mostly just lines and geometric shapes; if i look at a blank wall it will start forming into shapes; and objects sometimes seem to be moving when they aren't. These, from what I have looked up seem to be common symptoms of HPPD. The worst thing is that since I had a bad trip, I get anxiety from seeing these things. The anxiety has died down since the flashback, but it's still there, hanging over my head...

How long does HPPD last on average?

And is there any way to stop feeling anxiety when I notice these things that are caused by HPPD? The anxiety makes it horrible, I probably wouldn't mind if I saw those things and I didn't get scared of them.

Thanks a lot for any help that I might be given!

Theres no way of telling how long it'll last man, all i can say to you, is yes, you seem to have developed some form of HPPD...stop smokin weed and drinkin for a while, exercise and try to keep busy...

at the beginning the symptoms are extremely alarming, i feel you on that, but eventually they become your norm and they cease to give you anxiety...thats what you have to wrap your head around first,...dont think about the future in terms of where it might go, just try to think of this as your new norm for a while, and try to keep it out of your head. The most improtant thing from now on is to be clear of drugs bro, you dont wanna have it spiral out of control

Yeah, after reading a bunch, I'm definitely going to stay clean for a long time. At least a year. Though, since it's a mental thing, I'm just hoping that staying positive, and telling myself that I can beat this thing will eventually lead to positive outcomes. Also, are there any good methods of coping with it?

Yeah, after reading a bunch, I'm definitely going to stay clean for a long time. At least a year. Though, since it's a mental thing, I'm just hoping that staying positive, and telling myself that I can beat this thing will eventually lead to positive outcomes. Also, are there any good methods of coping with it?

I've found that a low dose of Propranolol (10mg for me) helped me cope with the anxiety a lot. It's a high-blood pressure drug, but it's used for things like stage fright and performance anxiety because it helps take away the physical manifestation of anxiety.

For me, it allowed me to separate myself from the anxiety and recognize that it's just anxiety, rather than be consumed by it.

Also, another thing that's helped me is to try and normalize the visuals. Think about it, even people without HPPD see things that aren't necessarily reflective of reality; if you cross your eyes you see double, if you press gently on your closed eyes you see patterns...hell, even those visualizers on the internet that make everything wavy for a bit after you stare at them.

Point is, while it may seem completely foreign and even insane, it's just a consistent manifestation of a completely normal human reaction. Reality is the same as it's always been, you're just looking at it through a slightly different lens.

... Also, are there any good methods of coping with it?

You'll probably get more used to it and naturally ignore it more as the years pass. You'd probably want to avoid taking anymore acid, forever, since it can make it worse. You may think 'duh yeah', but I feel it needs to be stated anyway since I had mild hppd for some years, didn't bother me much, didn't think it could get worse, then I took more lsd, whoops....

You'll probably get more used to it and naturally ignore it more as the years pass. You'd probably want to avoid taking anymore acid, forever, since it can make it worse. You may think 'duh yeah', but I feel it needs to be stated anyway since I had mild hppd for some years, didn't bother me much, didn't think it could get worse, then I took more lsd, whoops....

I almost smoked cannabis the other day that had shroom dust on it...I had no idea and am so happy that didn't happen...it is so scary. I have reduced my ingestion to alcohol, marijuana and nicotine. My life is on the way back up but if something like that happened I dont know how I could go through it again...I feel for you