Medications and updates

Hello All!

Hope everyone is doing well, if not continue to push harder, there will be a day we beat this.

I am talking with a mental health doctor, and he is very understanding of the condition, although I am the first patient he has ever treated for HPPD despite him seeing other patients with HPPD (I believe this is because I did my research and read on this forum and told him my understanding of the situation). I was first started on clonazepam at 2 mg each day, 2 0.5 mg pills in the morning and 2 0.5 mg pills at night, this worked wonders to start with, but I quickly started to notice my symptoms again. Long story short, I am now taking:

Monday

• Lamotrigine 25mg
  • Mirtazipine 15mg

Tuesday

• Lamotrigine 25mg
  • Mirtazipine 15mg

Wednesday

• Lamotrigine 25mg
  • Mirtazipine 15mg

Thursday

• Lamotrigine 25mg
  • Mirtazipine 15mg
  • Clonazepam 0.5mg 9am
  • Clonazepam 1mg 8pm

Friday

• Lamotrigine 25mg
  • Mirtazipine 15mg
  • Clonazepam 0.5mg 9am
  • Clonazepam 1mg 8pm

Saturday

• Lamotrigine 25mg
  • Mirtazipine 15mg
  • Clonazepam 2mg 9am
  • Clonazepam 2mg 8pm

Sunday

• Lamotrigine 25mg
  • Mirtazipine 15mg
  • Clonazepam 2mg 9am
  • Clonazepam 2mg 8pm

My symptoms remain mostly the same, but I will be titrating up the lamotrigine slowly up to an acceptable level to see if that helps at all. Any advice is hugely appreciated.

Stay safe and keep pushing on,

Best regards,

Liam

Hi @liamnugent

I used to be on all of the medications that you are currently taking, although not at the same time. 

I wasn't able to stay on lamotrigine for long because it gave me muscle paralysis/rigidity that wound up being pretty uncomfortable - chock that one up to bad luck 😋

Mirtazapine, along with any other type of antidepressant generally caused negative effects for me - making my HPPD symptoms worse and drawing me farther into the state of having HPPD.

Obviously Clonazepam was helpful - but I wound up taking it every day and then taking street xanax on top of it., and then subsequently having to go through those withdrawals when it was time to stop. (Plus I wound up using methamphetamine, and then using the benzodiazepines to ease the psychotic symptoms of meth when they creeped in)

Having had HPPD for over 6 years, I don't think any medication actually had any long term effect. They helped me to feel better at the moment by allowing myself to believe I was doing everything I could to help - but now I don't take any medications at all and my symptoms are not bothersome at all. 

My HPPD these days is just a background thing that doesn't cause me any sort of anxiety or DP/DR anymore, its just a thing that exists. I have a great career, and can do everything I used to be able to do beforehand.

Edited by jbalsa2

On 9/18/2022 at 10:49 AM, jbalsa2 said:

Hi @liamnugent

I used to be on all of the medications that you are currently taking, although not at the same time. 

I wasn't able to stay on lamotrigine for long because it gave me muscle paralysis/rigidity that wound up being pretty uncomfortable - chock that one up to bad luck 😋

Mirtazapine, along with any other type of antidepressant generally caused negative effects for me - making my HPPD symptoms worse and drawing me farther into the state of having HPPD.

Obviously Clonazepam was helpful - but I wound up taking it every day and then taking street xanax on top of it., and then subsequently having to go through those withdrawals when it was time to stop. (Plus I wound up using methamphetamine, and then using the benzodiazepines to ease the psychotic symptoms of meth when they creeped in)

Having had HPPD for over 6 years, I don't think any medication actually had any long term effect. They helped me to feel better at the moment by allowing myself to believe I was doing everything I could to help - but now I don't take any medications at all and my symptoms are not bothersome at all. 

My HPPD these days is just a background thing that doesn't cause me any sort of anxiety or DP/DR anymore, its just a thing that exists. I have a great career, and can do everything I used to be able to do beforehand.

Glad you're doing better without medication. Your mention of "street Xanax" caught my attention because so many cases of these winding up being Fentanyl