I am going to see Dr Abraham

Buddikaman82

Eh guys,

I setup an appointment today with Dr Abraham in Boston, MA. Part of me is going for the trial medicine but since its not really a medicine you can take alot im mostly excited to be apart of the progressive research of HPPD.

The real reason im going however is to get a proper treatment regime for this disorder. I have had HPPD and DP/DR for 13 years from LSD use. I have tried alot of things, including massive lifestyle change, no drinking, no smoking, excersise, nutrition, medications, ect ect to no relief to my HPPD and DP/DR.

I should mention i have not tried some of the newer medications such as Keppra and Sinemet, which people are noticing some results with lessening there symptoms. Obviously there is no cure, but if i can even lessen my visuals and other symptoms related to the disorder 30-50% i will be doing good.

I was wondering if anyone cared to share there experiences with visiting Dr Abraham? He said there are things that can be done to releive symptoms but would not disclose any such information over the phone. I asked him if he found Sinemet or Keppra beneficial in treatment to those suffering but he would not say. He hinted that there were non medication things that can be done such as lifestyle change that would help as well, which kind of has me worried thats the answer i will get.

It is a big risk for me to spend what little money i have to fly across the country only to be told to excersise more and take a klonopin. I tried that. It didnt work. I want to try something new even if it is experimental and not garunteed. So i am not really sure what to expect in this area and it has me worried even though i am trying to keep an open mind.

What are your guys experiences or thoughts on this? Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Best of luck man i hope he has some good information for you. I wish I could fly half way across the country to see him, instead i've got to go to the other side of the world haha. I am going travelling around canada and the states real soon so i was thinking i may was well see him when i have the chance. I'd like to know as well how other people have found there visits with him too. I'd like to cure mine with out drugs for now as i feel i haven't given it 100% so maybe if he can give me light on that. Would be worth it?

Sorry i can't help you on this one. Sound like your hppd has been hell man. I hope Dr Abraham can help you out.

Thanks bud,

Yeah i am hoping he can give me some effective treatment options, my life is basically on hold untill i get this handled. Its like a switch went off and im like "Ok, i cant live like this, im either going to find relief or die". I have tried coping with this shit for 13 years, it ruined my 20's and ill be damned if i live the rest of my life hallucinating like this.

If you search "Abraham" on the forum, you will find some actual experiences from people. Because of patient-doctor confidentiality (which works both ways), full details are missing. He clearly doesn't want to prescribe over the phone and probably doesn't want the details of which drugs he trialing out on the internet.

Yes, $1000 is a lot of money. And seeing any doctor is a gamble.

Obviously after trying for 13 years, you don't need to hear the same story. If you haven't done so, make a list of all the meds you have tried and how they have affected you. Whether you see him or other doctors, it is important documentation. HPPD is a nasty bugger to resolve. It might be helpful if you shared the list here as well.

How soon is your appointment with your local neurologist? If he does give you a med to try, then you may wish to have a few weeks to evaluate them before the more expensive adventure. Also, if you see Dr A, he will want you off all meds for a while. (Klonopin takes a full month to be out of you, though you are not on it now). So you need to coordinate this activity.

Economically, it makes sense to try the two meds you have already mentioned interest in - the problem (always) is getting local doctors to venture there. From the reports I've read, the main benefit from seeing Dr A is the diagnosis and report that he sends to your doctor (and get a copy for yourself as well). Also his drug trial is informative as well.