Jump to content

Can anyone recommend a UK doctor?

Ghormeh Sabzi

Recommended Posts

As it happens, I'm a student at KCL and emailed him yesterday. However, I do not suffer from DP/DR - my problems are mainly visual.

How long did it take you to get referred once requested?

I am also investigating other possibilities. I have emailed some professionals here in the UK, and a couple have got back to me saying they are aware of this condition or at least the symptoms of it (visual snow, etc).

Of course, I can find out much of the info with regards to medications etc myself, I just need someone to prescribe them for me. Perhaps a psychiatrist is required for this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the referral took about 6 months

I would be interested to know which professionals have responded to you?

In my experience most psychiatrists just wanted to put me on anti-psychotics - no no no

Med I am really interested in trying is Sinemet although my doc has warned me about the potential long term side effects specifically tremors

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dr Dominic Ffytche runs a visual perception disorder clinic at King's and advised me that I could get referred by my GP, but that funding is given on a case-by-case basis.

Dr Gordon Plant has told me that he is aware of this condition and would be happy to advise me either privately (£350 for the first consultation, £175 thereafter), or through the NHS (if my GP writes to him).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KCL = King's College London

Gordon Plant is at UCL = Univerisity College London

So yeah, both in London

If you have the standard visual problems (snow, starbursts, etc), it may be worth seeing if you can get a referral. Worry about geting there if you are successful.

I don't know if the Visual Perception Clinic can provide treatment, and so Gordon Plant is probably the way to go if you want to be prescribed things. I don't know how much he knows about HPPD, but I told him all of the symptoms and that I thought I had HPPD, and he said he was aware of it. He's a neuro-ophthalmologist.

Neither of these are for non-visual problems (DP/DR etc). If you want treatment for that you should ask to be referred to the Dr. Sierra that Danny refers to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

My local doctor didnt have a clue, i had to explain to her what she should do, told her the drugs she should offer me ( i didnt want them just now though ) shes refered me to a drug addiction specialist who " might be able to help " i feel so hopeless. plus i live in the north of scotland, londons hardly a 5 minute walk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.