Has anyone ever tried the ketogenic diet?

windscar

That diet change considerably the way our brain works, replacing glucose into ketone bodies as energy source. It's used widely by bodybuilders to lose weight and by epileptic patients with remarkable success, and has also been recently reported as an effective treatment to migraine.

The ketogenic diet reduces seizure frequency by more than 50% in half of the patients who try it and by more than 90% in a third of patients.

To do it all you have to do is eat from 60g to 120g of protein, zero carbohydrates and the remaining calories from good fats like olive oil and fish oil, and taking a multivitamin every day. It sets on after about 3 days and can be tested using a urine test you can buy in diabetics stores.

Seems VERY worth trying.

I haven't properly tried this yet though I did it for about 3 days and I got bad "ice pick" headaches. Not sure if the ketogenic diet caused it. Might give it another go.

I wonder though, don't you risk serotonin depletion with this diet? As a result of cutting out all carbs?

Yes I am on it and it has almost doubled the effect of my Keppra. Although it should be mentioned that you dont have to zero your carbs. Some people start to slip into ketosis at just under 100g of carbs. 30g can be enough for full ketosis. Even up to 60g with low glycemic index.

Low Glycemic Index treatment (LGIT) for epilepsy:

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/keto_news_may07

I haven't properly tried this yet though I did it for about 3 days and I got bad "ice pick" headaches. Not sure if the ketogenic diet caused it. Might give it another go.

I wonder though, don't you risk serotonin depletion with this diet? As a result of cutting out all carbs?

That was most likely due to the diet. It goes away after 1-3 weeks. And yes thats correct about the serotonin. I think it might one of the ways it can help HPPD, other than the antiepileptic effects.

Beware the carbohydrates, Phenomenon. I used that diet when I was trying to lose weight. I was very successful but once a simple frozen yogurt (20g carb) had stopped my ketogenic state for almost 3 days. There are hidden carbohydrates in everything, from meat to whey, so anything additional can mess your diet up.

I'm not sure it does touch the serotonin at all - I think the anti-epileptic effects come from a down regulation in the firing rates of over excited brain areas - possibly because ketones can't sustain them - what, by theory, if we are lucky enough, could selectively fix areas in our brain that over-inhibit sensory filtering causing HPPD, even if we don't touch the serotonin system. Maybe I said trash but whatever, let's try it.

http://www.wellnesscare.com.au/ketogenic.html

Note: this site says 20% carbohydrates what's probably too much. Don't forget buying a ketone unire test.

Beware the carbohydrates, Phenomenon. I used that diet when I was trying to lose weight. I was very successful but once a simple frozen yogurt (20g carb) had stopped my ketogenic state for almost 3 days. There are hidden carbohydrates in everything, from meat to whey, so anything additional can mess your diet up.

I'm not sure it does touch the serotonin at all - I think the anti-epileptic effects come from a down regulation in the firing rates of over excited brain areas - possibly because ketones can't sustain them - what, by theory, if we are lucky enough, could selectively fix areas in our brain that over-inhibit sensory filtering causing HPPD, even if we don't touch the serotonin system. Maybe I said trash but whatever, let's try it.

http://www.wellnessc.../ketogenic.html

Note: this site says 20% carbohydrates what's probably too much. Don't forget buying a ketone unire test.

I hear you WindScar. Just saying there is not only "in ketosis" and "not in ketosis". There is a big gray area in between which is easier to keep to and could still help reduce symtoms. Let´s face it, there are guys on this board who wants to recover but can´t even quit doing drugs occasionally. And sticking to a full ketogenic diet requires a little discipline.

It´s actually established that LCHF-diets can cause reduction in serotonin.

http://www.geneva-he...th/lowcarb.html

In news released earlier this year, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Clinical Research Center reported that a lack of dietary carbohydrates causes the brain to stop regulating serotonin. Researchers discovered that serotonin is naturally produced only after consumption of carbohydrates in the form of sweets and starches.

And yea that site was way off. If you eat 2500 calories that would be about 120 grams of carbonhydrates. And 50% cal from protein would be over 300g.. That combo could never get you into ketosis. 5% carbs, 25% prot and 70% fat would. Various factors like how much you exercise also weigh in.

And dont rely to much on the urine test. It´s not in any way reliable since it only shows anything when you overproduce ketones into your urine. Most people only do that for the first days or weeks. Some people dont at all, even though they are in ketosis.

Just saying there is not only "in ketosis" and "not in ketosis". There is a big gray area in between which is easier to keep to and could still help reduce symtoms.

Hmm makes sense.

A Low Carbohydrate Diet May Cause Low Mood

Again makes sense. I can say from experience it does. So, better yet, isn't it?

Let´s face it, there are guys on this board who wants to recover but can´t even quit doing drugs occasionally. And sticking to a full ketogenic diet requires a little discipline.

That's sad.

Gonna start it today.

Thanks. How exactly it changed your visuals?

I´ll copy one of my posts from another thread.

When things was at its worst my symtoms were:

Static//VS/"Skyworms", real bad.

Afterimages.

Tunnelvision, couldnt see "the big picture".

2D-vision, no depht perception.

Derealisation, depersonalisation and dissociation. I had lost the "me" completely.

Headpressure, like as if my mind was overloaded with confused speeding thoughts.

Depressed, anxious and suicidal.

CEVs

Mild floaters.

Bodybuzz/trippy feeling

No trails. Now after 7 months on keppra in total, and 3 months on 2000mg + diet my symtoms improvements varies between 80-95%. LCHF/Atkins/Keto-diets have antiepileptic effects. Google atkins + epilepsy. Merkan who wrote alot on the old board and is pretty much free from symtoms thanks to keppra have also had further improvements with this diet.

I manage the keppra sides farly well. Alot of fatigue, anxiety and weird mental things initially, but that fades slowly. After 3-4 months on 1500mg i was 95% free som sides. Now on 2000 a little fatigue/tiredness will probably not go away. Still maneagable. Though i hope to be able to lower the dose in maybe a year or so. You must be veery patient when trying keppra. I am still slowly improving.

Another thing. When i drank moderate amounts of alcohol two weekends in a row, my improvements were put on hold for 4-6 weeks. Im sure alot of chronic sufferers who drink and smoke might get better over time with the right medicine and sobriety.

That's awesome. But you don't see those things or you don't care about them? Also, what's your profission? How can you describe your cognitive function before HPPD, during HPPD and after that treatment? How you got HPPD? Do you still have any symptom that you didn't have before your HPPD or you feel like you are almost the same person, like you never used any drug?