Thalamocortical dysrhythmia

Based on some research, it seems there may be a potential connection between HPPD/VSS and Thalamocortical dysrhythmia (TCD) according to some researchers.

I posit that HPPD often encompasses Visual Snow Syndrome, and the persistent psychedelic-like perceptual effects may be attributed to a distinct issue like some sort of serotonin 2a hypersensitivity which may be able to be fixed by something like Pimavanserin 5-ht2a inverse agonist. 

I think it is inappropriate to automatically label Drug-Induced Visual Snow Syndrome as HPPD unless symptoms like Alice in Wonderland experiences, geometric shapes, and psychedelic CEVs are present.

A recent study from King's College reveals that patients with Visual Snow Syndrome exhibit reduced connectivity in 5-ht2a enriched networks. Notably, individuals with a history of substance abuse were excluded from the study. Given that almost all psychedelics bind to 5-ht2a, it appears that drug-induced VSS shares similarities with regular VSS.

Since VSS is linked to Thalamocortical dysrhythmia (a synchronization issue, particularly the Lingual Geniculate Nucleus (LGN) and the Medial Geniculate Nucleus (MGN)), the outcome of reduced input is cortical hyperactivity/excitability and hypermetabolism.

The Dorsal Cochlear Nucleus (DCN), a component of the thalamus, is implicated in causing this issue. While Thalamocortical dysrhythmia is not deemed the primary cause (more likely a consequence), many scientists believe it stems from an inhibition problem involving various neurotransmitters such as GABA, Glutamate, and Sodium Channels. 

If the issue is the result of dead or dysfunctional neurons leading to Thalamocortical dysrhythmia (TCD), then addressing the dysrhythmia itself, rather than the dead neurons, may be feasible. The concept here is that even though the neurons might be irreversibly damaged, managing the consequences, such as TCD, could potentially be achieved through interventions like Deep Brain Stimulation and lead to remission of symptoms.  DBS involves implanting electrodes in specific brain regions, like the thalamus, and delivering controlled electrical pulses to modulate neuronal activity. DBS can target areas affected by the loss of 5-HT2A-expressing GABAergic neurons. The precisely timed electrical pulses can mimic the inhibitory function of these lost neurons, dampening down the excessive neuronal firing and restoring a proper rhythm to the thalamocortical communication.

Growing new neurons with stem cells seems like it is possible in the future as well. There is a company working on it for epilepsy and their product is in human trials. 

I have a ton of brain fog from Benadryl as I wrote this so please forgive any of my errors. 

Gray691.png

Edited by James3524

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 10:52 AM, James3524 said:

Based on some research, it seems there may be a potential connection between HPPD/VSS and Thalamocortical dysrhythmia (TCD) according to some researchers.

I posit that HPPD often encompasses Visual Snow Syndrome, and the persistent psychedelic-like perceptual effects may be attributed to a distinct issue like some sort of serotonin 2a hypersensitivity which may be able to be fixed by something like Pimavanserin 5-ht2a inverse agonist. 

I think it is inappropriate to automatically label Drug-Induced Visual Snow Syndrome as HPPD unless symptoms like Alice in Wonderland experiences, geometric shapes, and psychedelic CEVs are present.

A recent study from King's College reveals that patients with Visual Snow Syndrome exhibit reduced connectivity in 5-ht2a enriched networks. Notably, individuals with a history of substance abuse were excluded from the study. Given that almost all psychedelics bind to 5-ht2a, it appears that drug-induced VSS shares similarities with regular VSS.

Since VSS is linked to Thalamocortical dysrhythmia (a synchronization issue, particularly the Lingual Geniculate Nucleus (LGN) and the Medial Geniculate Nucleus (MGN)), the outcome of reduced input is cortical hyperactivity/excitability and hypermetabolism.

The Dorsal Cochlear Nucleus (DCN), a component of the thalamus, is implicated in causing this issue. While Thalamocortical dysrhythmia is not deemed the primary cause (more likely a consequence), many scientists believe it stems from an inhibition problem involving various neurotransmitters such as GABA, Glutamate, and Sodium Channels. 

If the issue is the result of dead or dysfunctional neurons leading to Thalamocortical dysrhythmia (TCD), then addressing the dysrhythmia itself, rather than the dead neurons, may be feasible. The concept here is that even though the neurons might be irreversibly damaged, managing the consequences, such as TCD, could potentially be achieved through interventions like Deep Brain Stimulation and lead to remission of symptoms.  DBS involves implanting electrodes in specific brain regions, like the thalamus, and delivering controlled electrical pulses to modulate neuronal activity. DBS can target areas affected by the loss of 5-HT2A-expressing GABAergic neurons. The precisely timed electrical pulses can mimic the inhibitory function of these lost neurons, dampening down the excessive neuronal firing and restoring a proper rhythm to the thalamocortical communication.

Growing new neurons with stem cells seems like it is possible in the future as well. There is a company working on it for epilepsy and their product is in human trials. 

I have a ton of brain fog from Benadryl as I wrote this so please forgive any of my errors. 

Gray691.png

Wow! This post is amazing. If you wrote this with brain fog, I don’t even know what to say. When I have brain fog I can hardly add simple numbers! Thank you, this is very interesting. When I got HPPD 25 or so years ago, I just thought I had basically fried my brain. It’s amazing how much we have learned about the brain over the years. It gives us hope, and also I believe it makes medical professionals take us more seriously since there is hard scientific evidence of what is behind HPPD. 

On 2/14/2024 at 4:03 PM, Georgehix said:

Is there any evidence or research indicating the potential effectiveness of psychedelic therapy in treating visual snow syndrome (VSS) symptoms associated with HPPD?

That’s a great way to destroy your life! 

if you have HPPD and consider taking psychedelics again, you are insane. Please don’t risk it as it can literally ruin your life.