ADHD Meds and HPPD

My HPPD started in March 2020. Things have progressively gotten better, as I've accepted this is my life now and made practical adjustments to move forward.

I used to take Ritalin for my ADHD since my teens, but when my HPPD came about my visuals were so bad and DP I had to stop taking it - I think it was making my visuals worse, definitely my anxiety and panic attacks (which i never had before) but i was such a mess at the time, I really cant make an informed comment if it was causing flare ups.

Also I got HPPD after a night out snorting a pills from my prescription of ritalin, racked a cap of mdma and smoked some bud. Blacked out drinking and woke up the next more with HPPD. So I really dont know what caused it - may have been related to the ritalin.

Moving forward to now, I am finally heading back to my studies and have my life somewhat in order. Feeling myself more than i have in a long time. But I would like to go back on ADD medication - but not a stimulant.

My psychiatrist has suggested STRATTERA (atomoxetine) because its a non-stimulant.

Does anyone living with HPPD have experience taking this medication? Did it exacerbate your symptoms at all or did it help your condition (ADHD/ADD)?

Thanks for any input or comments.

• 1 year later...

Strattera (atomoxetine) is indeed a non-stimulant medication used to treat ADHD. Since it doesn't work in the same way as stimulants, it might be a suitable option for you considering your past experience with Ritalin. However, everyone's response to medications can be unique, and it's essential to discuss this with your psychiatrist.
For more specific guidance, it's best to consult your psychiatrist and discuss your concerns and preferences. They can provide you with tailored recommendations based on your unique situation. You can also find valuable resources on mental health topics at MentalHealth.com.
Remember that your well-being is the top priority, and working closely with healthcare professionals can help you make informed decisions about your treatment plan.

Edited by AadenJensen