My Story

Danny13

I will keep this brief and cut out the waffle but hope to offer hope and advice to anyone struggling

HPPD and DP/DR for 19 years I was a victim of the early rave culture in the UK. Didn't know what was wrong with me so carried on regardless of the disturbances I was experiencing. Simply doing more drugs and booze with not a care in the world. Dropped out of university with no job to go to. I was spending days locked away in my room.

I made the decision not to let this beat me, I was going to control HPPD not HPPD control me.

So where am I now?

I have a top job as a director for a multi million pound international company.

3 beautiful children

Masters degree

Member of MENSA

All of this achieved with HPPD and DP/DR. It has not been easy and many times I have felt like locking myself away again

Meds that have helped me:

Cipralex for anxiety and dp/dr

Valium at high doses completely eliminated symptoms although I haven't done any for years

Meds that did nothing or made me worse:

Lamictal

Seroxat

Sertraline

Clonazepam

Clonodine

Zispin

Seroquel

and a few more I have forgotten

Other things that have helped:

Neurofeedback (very expensive so had to stop)

Exercise

Diet

Positive thinking

Limit alcohol

Keep yourself busy, do not focus on symptoms and look after your body and mind (this all took me 10 years +)

Life is not over it has just changed, embrace the change and take control once again.

Danny

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing. I've had this for 13 years and I'm definitely losing the battle. I'm trying to dig myself out of the hole I'm in but it's pretty fucking hard. What was the turning point for you? Also do you remember what lamictal did for you, I'm on it now 4 days in..

Also I have tried just about every anti depressant out there except for lexapro, can you elaborate on how it has helped you? What side effects it brings ect?

Hello

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling and you are correct in saying it is really hard. I can't specifically recall a turning point it was more of a gradual strong minded approach to not letting this ruin my life.

Lamictal did nothing for me which was very frustrating as I had high hopes for it.

Lexapro (Cipralex in UK) has really helped by eliminating all anxiety and panic attacks. This in turn has reduced my dp and dr. It has done nothing for my visual symptoms or that trippy feeling. As for side effects the main ones have been weight gain, daytime sleepyness, dry mouth, reduced sex drive and dry eyes.

Hope this helps

All the best

Shocking about the MENSA! I had a pretty high IQ, im sure it's still in there somewhere, but ever since I developed DPDR my cognitive abilities have gone to shit, I can barely retort when people speak to me without sturttering or mispronouncing words...ive forgotten alot of vocab and keeping a train of thought is many times difficult...thanks for the hope man.

Shocking about the MENSA! I had a pretty high IQ, im sure it's still in there somewhere, but ever since I developed DPDR my cognitive abilities have gone to shit, I can barely retort when people speak to me without sturttering or mispronouncing words...ive forgotten alot of vocab and keeping a train of thought is many times difficult...thanks for the hope man.

I was exactly the same for many years. I got over it through sheer hard work and never giving up. I'm sure the reduction in your cognnitive abilities can be overcome but it is not easy and takes a long time.