Broken Brain 2

K.B.Fante

Here's the link where you can purchase this documentary series on brain health: https://brokenbrain.com/pages/own#packages

I only had a chance to see about half of it before it went offline and they started to charge for it but the parts I did see were impressive. This is as comprehensive of a breakdown on brain health as you'll find anywhere. There's just so much great information in here. If everyone on this site bought this when they first got HPPD I have a feeling we'd be seeing a lot less posts about suicide and a lot more success stories. 

One of the doctors in this series specifically caught my eye. His name is Titus Chiu. He's a neurologist out of Berkley, CA. He's got all sorts of crazy advanced technology he uses to analyze brain injuries and supposedly can identify where exactly your weakness is inside your brain using these tools to analyze eye movement and pupil reflexes. I guess he does consulting via the Web too so you don't have to be in northern California to see him. Here's a link to his website which has all sorts of good information: http://drtituschiu.com/

One thing that caught my eye was one of the doctors talking about the immune response in the brain, specifically the glial cells. He said there's four immune systems in the body: the gut, lymphatic, blood and brain. Each has it's own defenders that target invaders in order to protect the body and it just so happens the brain has what he calls "bazookas," aka, glial cells. Due to the importance of the brain to the rest of the body the glial cells essentially blow anything that enters into smithereens but in the process cause collateral damage. I'm kinda wondering if some of us had a weakened blood brain barrier and the glial cells identified the drugs we took as invaders and basically went haywire and destroyed not only the chemical messengers of the drug but also some of our brain in the process.  

12 hours ago, hope1 said:

Look up Dr. Gong Chen at U-Penn

I've looked him up and his reaserach looks really promising, copy paste from his website:

We have developed a novel technology to convert reactive glial cells, induced by brain injury or Alzheimer's disease, directly into functional neurons in mouse brain in vivo. This is achieved by expressing a single neural transcription factor NeuroD1 in glial cells. We further demonstrated that human astrocytes in culture can be directly converted into functional neurons by a cocktail of small molecules (Zhang et al., Cell Stem Cell, 2015), suggesting that our new technology may potentially benefit millions of patients worldwide.

That sounds like science fiction to be honest, I had no idea this can already be done.

19 hours ago, iancurtis said:

I've looked him up and his reaserach looks really promising, copy paste from his website:

That sounds like science fiction to be honest, I had no idea this can already be done.

Wow, that's the most promising research I've heard on this board in the 3.5 years I've been here. Anything that can target the brain that widespread and mitigate an entire range of cerebral disease would have to have a positive effect on HPPD. 

On 4/16/2019 at 3:37 AM, iancurtis said:

Anyone knows how does reaserch like this works? I don’t get why they don’t do in vivo human trials yet if this was done in 2015.

Money, bureaucracy, etc. Seems like research generally moves really slow unless there's a high demand for something.