Blank Stare

Johnlouxsw

I feel like this a lot. I feel like I have the look of fear, and indifference on my face at all times.

It reminds me of the Pink Floyd lyric about their original guitarist Syd Barrett, who suffered from mental illness most assume was from acid,

"Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky"

Image result for syd barrett

47 minutes ago, billy said:

I feel like this a lot. I feel like I have the look of fear, and indifference on my face at all times.

It reminds me of the Pink Floyd lyric about their original guitarist Syd Barrett, who suffered from mental illness most assume was from acid,

"Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky"

Image result for syd barrett

Was gonna say the same thing. In an interview after Barrett had a psychotic break from hallucinogenic drugs one of his bandmates said he had a deep stare where he'd totally black out from reality and just sit there and not flinch while staring into the abyss. When I first got HPPD I had something similar, just not nearly to that degree. Even to this day 3.5 years later I can still catch myself staring from time to time, sorta transfixed on nothing in particular. It usually happens when there's some kind of substance in my body that triggers my symptoms worsening. 

For what it’s worth, there’s more to this then just a thought; your eyes work idiosyncronously (Is that the right word?) with your brain. Being at psychiatric hospitals and seeing people on various different types of neuroleptics; you can see it in their eyes. There’s almost a blankness, like they’d be looking right into your eyes and a part of their gaze was missing.

Maybe I have the same effect; as i’m on abilify.

That being said to John, it subsides in time substantially. I’ve been substance free for quite a while now and my eyes and general demeanour is as bright as ever. Focus on living a healthy lifestyle, and paying less attention to your eyes (staring inwards, as it were) and you’ll begin to improve without you noticing.