Greetings from Matt

Matt

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, but figured it was time to officially join the community.  Have had HPPD for about 3.75 years.  Fairly occasional user of hallucinagens from ages 17-24 (LSD/Mushrooms/MDMA).  Should also mention I'm a lightweight when it comes to pyschoactives.  Was 1 week about 4 years ago that did me in...  Ate about 1.5 grams of really strong mushrooms one night (pretty good trip actually) and then a couple nights later ate some MDMA, stupidly on an empty stomach (insanley intense night of rolling) - felt pretty weird for the next couple days.  Then very stupidly, not thinking anything of it, decided to eat a thick mushroom stem about 2 days after the MDMA.  An intense feeling of impending doom and panic came over me which lasted about 45 minutes - I have not been the same ever since... 

At first, I experienced what I would describe as intense episodes of DP/DR and panic (flashbacks? during 1 "episode" I was convinced somebody at McDonalds had slipped me acid), lasting about 1-2 hours.  After a couple months of these I was in a constant state of DP/DR and developed (or first noticed) symptoms of HPPD.  I experience all the usual suspects - Visual Disturbances (Floaters, Flashers, Halos, Starbursting, Afterimages, Visual Snow, Trails), Brain Fog (have trouble talking and not losing train of thought in the middle of a sentence, paying attention in general), DP/DR (constant "trippy" feeling, emotionless, blank inside), and really bad social anxiety (get's so bad sometimes that I actually vomit / dry heave when in uncomfortable social situation).  Also, I have very vivid dreams, which seem to last the entire night - I wake up exhausted every morning from "over-dreaming".

Took 7 month break from smoking weed at the beginning but didn't notice any difference, so have occasionaly smoked since, but trying to stop for good.  Still drink 8-16 drinks a week.  And I'm perscribed Xanax to take as needed, which is usually about 5 .5mg pills a week (take 4-7 day long breaks fairly often). 

I eat healthy (lots a fish and veggies) and get lots of exercise (surfing, long walks, bike rides) on a regualr basis.

Seeing a neurologist soon and am hoping to get perscribed Keppra, as it seems to have diminished Brain Fog and DP/DR for many members of this site.  If it does the same for me, I'll consider it a victory of sorts.  My doctor has been pushing Wellbutrin, which I have denied, but if Keppra doesn't do the trick then I plan on giving that a shot.

Anway like I said, I've been lurking around here for years now and felt it was finally time to join! Told my Stepdad about HPPD today and he told me his brother had a bad trip in high school and was in a weird state for nearly ten years, but slowly came out of it.  I was stunned!  There's many more of us out there than we'll ever know. 

• Upvote 1