Finasteride for hairloss.

I just got prescribed some finasteride for hairloss and was wondering if any of you have some knowledge on it and how it might effect my hppd. 

It is a 5α-reductase inhibitor. 5α-reductase inhibition is most known for preventing conversion of testosterone, the male sex hormone, to the more potent dihydrotestosterone inandrogenic disorders.

Im scared on some of the side-effects from it which include anxiety and depression that can be long term even after discontinuation of the drugs. 

Whats interesting is that this drug is also used to treat benign prostate hyperplasia and when i was developing hppd, i did have some urinary tract problems (an inflamed epididymis).

By blocking DHT production, finasteride reduces androgen activity in the scalp. In the prostate, inhibition of 5α-reductase reduces prostate volume, which improves benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and reduces risk of prostate cancer. 5α-reductase inhibition also reduces epididymal weight, and decreases motility and normal morphology of spermatozoa in the epididymis.

Whats even more interesting is some of the key words listed in the mechanism of action section of finasteride. Hopefully someone more literate can give it a read through but here is an excerpt: 

5alpha-reductase enzyme isoforms I and II reduce progesterone to dihydroprogesterone (DHP) and deoxycorticosterone to dihydrodeoxycorticosterone (DHDOC). In vitro and animal models suggest subsequent 3alpha-reduction of DHT, DHP and DHDOC lead to steroid metabolites with effect on cerebral function by enhancing gamma-aminobutyric acid GABAergic inhibition. These neuroactive steroid derivatives enhance GABA at GABA(A) receptors and have anticonvulsant, antidepressant and anxiolytic effects, and also alter sexual and alcohol related behavior.[41] 5α-dihydrocortisol is present in the aqueous humor of the eye, is synthesized in the lens, and might help make the aqueous humor itself.

i really dont know what to make of all this but words like gaba, and aqueous humor are setting off some flags for me.

This enzyme 5a-reductase " is produced in many tissues in both males and females, especially in the reproductive tract, testes and ovaries,[1] skinseminal vesiclesprostateepididymis and many organs,[2] including theNervous System"

Currently, I have problems with skin(excessive dryness and shedding), epididymis and nervous system(zaps and probably hppd stuff).

And i found this information site that states some of the more chemical causes for our eye sight problems

http://cure-erectile-dysfunction.org/vision-problems-eye-floaters-and-sexual-activity 

its too bad our eye tests are mostly a mechanical test... if they know that certain things cause this problem, im guessing there are tests out there that can measure out chemical balance?

Is it a surprise this is from a ED site? maybe not. 
I remember reading about a user who experienced a remission of symptoms after a good day followed by sex with his girlfriend.

During sexual activity, the excessive glutamate turns into GABA, 5-HTP to serotonin, and the dopamine to norepinephrine. The result is an elevation of melatonin to suppress dopamine synthesis. In the more severe cases, the glutamate will not turn to GABA and the dopamine drops too low, leading to light-oversensitivity and eye floaters in the retina.

I feel like im making random connections to things but also at the same time im making some crucial connections in hppd. but its never black and white with our brain... whatever... fuck

Yeah im kind of hesitant with the medicine along with the diagnosis. I mean the systematic symptoms ive been having should be a sign that more than just a genetic hair loss symptom. especially since male pattern hair loss doesn't include pubic hair loss which ive been having as well. 

I think i will use rogaine (vasodilator) but hold off on the finasteride. Considering that i had narrowed vessels in my trans cranial doppler, maybe rogaine is the cure to hppd :o lol

If you take finasteride you are taking a much higher dose then needed for hair loss.  It is a 5mg pill as you have said. Propecia is 1 mg and that is the recommended dose.  Docs/reasearchers said that the found no benefit from doses greater than 1 mg/day.  If you decide to take it then get a pill cutter and cut into 4 pieces, one piece a day.   It works best when usinin minoxidil.  Not that it takes 3 months before any results begin.