Guanfacine (+Nimodipine)

Hey, I finally decided to take the plunge and give some Guanfacine a go. Got some on order, should be here in a week or two. Will be letting my physician know of course.

Also considering concurrently (well, introducing one before the other first) taking a small dose of Nimodipine per day. Reason being from a certain strain of my readings.. Nimodipine.. originally a calcium channel blocker used for strokes; a book I am reading suggests it has the ability to remove neurotoxins with a few other supplements (not sure if they are necessary though). The idea is that it should improve blood flow to the brain, helpful to functioning of a dysfunctional brain.. my thinking is that the improvement of blood-flow, particularly to the HPA axis, will help the brain recover somewhat, certainly aid the healing process. I speculate that a lot of the brain fog is to do with HPA axis dysfunction. I will be monitoring my blood pressure etc. throughout this trial.

I need to fully consolidate my readings before I do this, and also give a more a detailed account of my thinking (to the forum), but let me know if you think of anything. As far as I can tell no contraindications.. and I can't see how Nimodipine would be negative in small doses.. just to aid the healing process by making sure the brain is getting a good circulation.

Excited about the Guanfacine, which does look very promising. Will keep you posted.

Sorry for the briefness.. there's a couple of review type theories/docs I want to put out, will try do that soon. Two completely different approaches, hence the lack of organisation in getting that out there.

Be well !

Hey Syntheso!

Cool that you're giving Guanfacine a go! Here are two links that'll be useful for you (copied from my own unfinished document): Source [PDF]source. Honestly I just dropped investigating it as soon as I got busy with Coluracetam. I can't advise you on Nimodipine.. Though there are (possibly better) alternatives like Vinpocetine and Hydergine (there are way more, but I can't remember any now.. Ahh Ginkgo I believe, but it's not more effective than placebo IME). Though if I'm not mistaken, Guanfacine already enhances cerebral blood-flow, hence a combination might be overkill.

I just stumbled out of bed, so I'll leave it at that. But do ask if you have any questions, as there's a (slight) chance I'll remember something about Guanfacine.

EDIT: I wouldn't expect any visual improvements from it; only cognitive and mental. That's not to say you won't get visual improvements, as in theory it could help with visuals, just don't count on it ;)

Hey Syntheso!

Cool that you're giving Guanfacine a go! Here are two links that'll be useful for you (copied from my own unfinished document): Source [PDF]source. Honestly I just dropped investigating it as soon as I got busy with Coluracetam. I can't advise you on Nimodipine.. Though there are (possibly better) alternatives like Vinpocetine and Hydergine (there are way more, but I can't remember any now.. Ahh Ginkgo I believe, but it's not more effective than placebo IME). Though if I'm not mistaken, Guanfacine already enhances cerebral blood-flow, hence a combination might be overkill.

I just stumbled out of bed, so I'll leave it at that. But do ask if you have any questions, as there's a (slight) chance I'll remember something about Guanfacine.

EDIT: I wouldn't expect any visual improvements from it; only cognitive and mental. That's not to say you won't get visual improvements, as in theory it could help with visuals, just don't count on it ;)

Hello mate!

Yeah, well I thought someone should.. esp. since docs are taking ages to Keppra-me-up after saying I could go on it three months ago <_< . Thanks for the resources, I'll read over that tonight. Yeah figured you'd be busy with Coluracetam! I need to read youe doc tonight too... it's research o'clock! Done my other day's studies :-) back to getting the mind sorted.

By the way, before I start, just to say... none of this is intending to reduce the visuals. I'm hoping you've got that down with Coluracetam ;-) which I am very excited about. Where the F- is it ? I might email some pharmacies tonight if I get around to it.

This bit's not about Guanfacine.. 

Yeah you might be right about an alternative to Nimodipine, I will look into the other things. But I'm basing it off a specific treatment designed for chronic fatigue syndrome. As I said before I am still looking into my hypothesis, which I will write out and post here. Whilst HPPD and CFS are very different, there are a few similarities that seem relevant to me.

The thing that interested me about what this text said of Nimodipine, in the context of their proposed treatment plan for CFS, quote; "[Nimodipine] works in this context to eliminate neurotoxins".. and it's a calcium channel blocker. The context of the treatment in the first stage "Improving Brain and Body Circulation" includes Gingko ('to promote peripheral circulation'), L-Glutamine ('to promote brain function and general well being), eight glasses of filtered/bottled water a day to flush out toxins/improve circulation, evening primose oil (to promote brain function and reduce muscle symptoms nb: not sure I would go that far). This is just the Step One of the treatment plan in this book (as mentioned "Improving Brain and Body Circulation"), and is probably the only part I will follow for a bit (afterwards it goes into more nutritional stuff). It's very specifically dosed over the course of a month or two, very slow build up.

Basically, I know it won't do anything revolutionary, I just reckon it would just be a good precursour to help the body in general (but more importantly the brain) to start getting back on track. Then I figure and hope other meds will work more effectively as and when you have helped your system begin to reboot. What d'ya reckon?

So I guess I was a bit misleading. Or didn't really think before I wrote the OP. My plan really is to do the Nimodipine + other supp regime first, as hors-d'œuvre shall we say. Then Guanfacine, or maybe Keppra, as the mains. I'll be more distinct about how these things go in the future (separate threads!)

By the way.. some of my research on CFS could be relevant and useful with regards to HPPD. Not the visuals. But there's lots of mention of brain fog and similar symptoms we experience, which might not be as definitively neurological as we tend to think. The limbic system, HPA axis and other things which seem to have pathophysiological relevance in HPPD are induced in CFS. So it's interesting. Like I said I will be more detailed when I get around to it.

Do correct anything I've been mistaken on. I'm still learning!

The book is called 'Beating Chronic Fatigue' by the way. I've read the whole thing (well except for 'dealing with the psychological side') with notes which I will write up.. as I keep saying.

All the best man! Keep posted re Coluracetam. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open and will let you know if I find a source, please do the same!

Ahh yes.. Honestly sometimes it seem HPPD is 80% waiting and 20% symptoms.

By the way, before I start, just to say... none of this is intending to reduce the visuals. I'm hoping you've got that down with Coluracetam ;-) which I am very excited about. Where the F- is it ? I might email some pharmacies tonight if I get around to it.

Yeah visual improvements would merely be a nice bonus from Guanfacine, as it's not impossible (too fogged to explain the theory).
Haha, yes: "Where the F- is it?".. I've wondered that too. I'm working on it mate.. it's not exactly like buying aspirine ;)
Also don't bother with pharmacies, as they won't have it. Only options are custom synthesis, or to wait until it is available from nootropic retailers. Or you've gotta be ridiculously proficient in chemistry, have all the necessary equipment and materials, be legally able to synthesize it, and have a few months to spare.

Hmm eliminating neurotoxins? Sounds attractive indeed, though it's not that specific. Which neurotoxins? Free radicals? Well then why not boost glutathione or eat a lemon? Not trying to be a dick.. just saying ;)

Though its CCB action may indeed induce some improvements.. Mehh I haven't really looked it up, and I'm quite tired.
Regarding the book.. Who's the author? I'll look it up. Is it by any chance an old book? I'd suggest if you want a "reboot" or a "detox", you could start with the following products (not promoting anything; I'm planning on using these myself in the near future):
Extremely awesome multi-vitamin (haven't looked into it that extensively, but looks even better than LEF's multivitamin)
Ridiculously healthy meal replacement
Medicinal Mushroom Mix

Especially the multi-vitamin is high on my want list. Eliminates supplementing with a lot of things really. But these three would basically set you up with a baseline health like few people have. Isn't it amazing how one can go from not giving a shit about what they take, to being meticulous about being as healthy as possible? I think it's one of the few upsides of HPPD. Ohh I was also looking at NAC; apparently it's claimed to be detoxing as well (I would take it to clear my lungs out, as it is also a mucolytic agent among various interesting effects).

Also, the HPA axis is off in many disorders, so that's not really an effective comparison unless you know the exact variables and know the difference etc. I for one, do not. Honestly I'd say CFS looks to be co-morbid to HPPD rather than similar. I know many of us are frequently tired, even when unmedicated.

Anyway, in no means was any of this meant to be correcting. Like I said, I'm tired. These are just the thoughts spitting from my mind ATM.
I have the strange feeling I'm being mean or something, but maybe that's just residual notions of having been an ass today. To clarify; not my intentions.
I also think I might've missed something. Let me know if this was too mumbo-jumbo-ish.
Cheers mate!

Ahh yes.. Honestly sometimes it seem HPPD is 80% waiting and 20% symptoms.

Yeah visual improvements would merely be a nice bonus from Guanfacine, as it's not impossible (too fogged to explain the theory).

Haha, yes: "Where the F- is it?".. I've wondered that too. I'm working on it mate.. it's not exactly like buying aspirine ;)

Also don't bother with pharmacies, as they won't have it. Only options are custom synthesis, or to wait until it is available from nootropic retailers. Or you've gotta be ridiculously proficient in chemistry, have all the necessary equipment and materials, be legally able to synthesize it, and have a few months to spare.

Hmm eliminating neurotoxins? Sounds attractive indeed, though it's not that specific. Which neurotoxins? Free radicals? Well then why not boost glutathione or eat a lemon? Not trying to be a dick.. just saying ;)

Though its CCB action may indeed induce some improvements.. Mehh I haven't really looked it up, and I'm quite tired.

Regarding the book.. Who's the author? I'll look it up. Is it by any chance an old book? I'd suggest if you want a "reboot" or a "detox", you could start with the following products (not promoting anything; I'm planning on using these myself in the near future):

Extremely awesome multi-vitamin (haven't looked into it that extensively, but looks even better than LEF's multivitamin)

Ridiculously healthy meal replacement

Medicinal Mushroom Mix

Especially the multi-vitamin is high on my want list. Eliminates supplementing with a lot of things really. But these three would basically set you up with a baseline health like few people have. Isn't it amazing how one can go from not giving a shit about what they take, to being meticulous about being as healthy as possible? I think it's one of the few upsides of HPPD. Ohh I was also looking at NAC; apparently it's claimed to be detoxing as well (I would take it to clear my lungs out, as it is also a mucolytic agent among various interesting effects).

Also, the HPA axis is off in many disorders, so that's not really an effective comparison unless you know the exact variables and know the difference etc. I for one, do not. Honestly I'd say CFS looks to be co-morbid to HPPD rather than similar. I know many of us are frequently tired, even when unmedicated.

Anyway, in no means was any of this meant to be correcting. Like I said, I'm tired. These are just the thoughts spitting from my mind ATM.

I have the strange feeling I'm being mean or something, but maybe that's just residual notions of having been an ass today. To clarify; not my intentions.

I also think I might've missed something. Let me know if this was too mumbo-jumbo-ish.

Cheers mate!

Not at all mate. I'm all about the critique! 

I'll come back to you properly later, I'm currently sitting in a practice room at my very empty uni.. essentially procrastinating.. I blame the brain fog, as usual. Anyway, I won't respond now and practice so as to make myself feel better about myself. I'll try and summon the sorcerer with sweet melodies to conjure us the wonder potion, Coluracetam!

Big love