EEG findings

mbellamy09

Hey just had a normal EEG done a couple days ago cause I've been having issues with post spinal headache symptoms. A neurologist I've been seeing recommended an EEG and I did not tell him about my hppd or anything. Anyways the EEG showed abnormalities on the left side of my brain,temporal. One doctor said he didn't know what to make of it which made me chuckle.

Question is is that normal for hppd? Like the abnormality on the left side or what? Occasionally I do get some sort of locking sensation near my left temple but just wondering

This is my second one can't remember if my first one showed anything or not

• Upvote 2

Question is is that normal for hppd? Like the abnormality on the left side or what? Occasionally I do get some sort of locking sensation near my left temple but just wondering

What is observed in HPPD is a shorter latency of the P2 component in the Visual Evoked Potential test, and also higher alpha frequency waves.

However it may differ from person to person. Also, if I remember my basic anatomy correctly (unlikely), then the right side of the body is controlled by the left hemisphere and vice versa, Hence the locking sensation near your left temple (which coincidentally I experience as well and it's extremely annoying and uncomfortable), should not result from your left temporal abnormalities. Don't quote me on that though, but I think this is (roughly) how it works.

For your next EEG, get a quantitative analysis done instead of the 'normal' analysis. This is more likely to show HPPD-related abnormalities.

What is observed in HPPD is a shorter latency of the P2 component in the Visual Evoked Potential test, and also higher alpha frequency waves.

However it may differ from person to person. Also, if I remember my basic anatomy correctly (unlikely), then the right side of the body is controlled by the left hemisphere and vice versa, Hence the locking sensation near your left temple (which coincidentally I experience as well and it's extremely annoying and uncomfortable), should not result from your left temporal abnormalities. Don't quote me on that though, but I think this is (roughly) how it works.

For your next EEG, get a quantitative analysis done instead of the 'normal' analysis. This is more likely to show HPPD-related abnormalities.

Like I said in not sure what the difference is. I just went in there sat down strobe light eyes open,eyes closed thing then out 30 minutes later. I was just wondering if this is something i could show to future docs so they don't think im crazy with the hppd?

Could be.. idk much about the temporal lobes. What I do know is that whilst one region may be largely involved with a certain function, there's also the matter of proper communication between areas that is involved, which tends to be forgotten. Similarly there's the "Serotonin-hype", as I call it, where people forget that A) There are way more neurotransmitters than Serotonin, B ) Brain function is not solely chemical, and C) There's also intercommunication involved within the brain with different systems, mechanisms and pathways. It's also much more complex than that. Though indeed if the left temporal is involved with speech, then it could be quite indicative of dysfunction therein (though I haven't looked it up). Has your neurologist defined the abnormality?

As for using it as evidence.. well 'abnormality' is always a good argument. The difference is in the analysis of the findings. I don't know the exact differences though, but if I'm not mistaken they could take the same results and analyse them quantitatively, which would make it a qEEG. If then there would be abnormalities found common in HPPD (Shorter VEP P2 Latency and faster Alpha waves), then yes that would be good evidence. However, there are also those with HPPD that show no abnormalities, even with qEEG's.

Your best evidence for doctors would to be find someone who's intelligent, competent, etc. and can officially diagnose you.

He tried a muscle relaxer he thought maybe tension headaches. I honestly didn't feel like getting into everything with him as he said he has no idea what it could be. Also on tension headache thing I've actually thought it could be a few things. I've been having some pressure towards the front of my head and face and also very lightheaded and things moving and/or vertigo.

I thought it would be best to ask on here lol.ive been tapering off klonopin and have been stalled n half of .25 twice a day for 2 months probably more and thinking maybe this is what life is like on this low of dose? Honestly that would be what I thought the most if it didn't happen right after my myelogram and spinal headache 1 month ago.seems like to much of a coincidence to me but any thoughts would be nice

I was diagnosed with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, the onset occurred simultaneously with when I first had an onset of HPPD.  I believe there could be a major connection with either TLE even the most minor of symptoms and HPPD.  I just started keppra to treat the TLE and it's been shown to also alleviate symptoms of HPPD.  Of course this isn't the case for everyone but in the first week I've taken keppra I've already noticed a minor reduction in visual snow and I've yet to have any seizure activity.  Temporal Lobe Seizures can be quite tricky, a lot of the time people don't even realize they're having a seizure while they occur.

I'm also on klonopin 1mg 3 times daily, which I know has a bit of a bad rap on this website but it has drastically improved my life over the course of the last 6 months.

I'm by no means an expert on anything, just a bit anecdotal evidence for you!   

• Upvote 1

I was diagnosed with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, the onset occurred simultaneously with when I first had an onset of HPPD.  I believe there could be a major connection with either TLE even the most minor of symptoms and HPPD.  I just started keppra to treat the TLE and it's been shown to also alleviate symptoms of HPPD.  Of course this isn't the case for everyone but in the first week I've taken keppra I've already noticed a minor reduction in visual snow and I've yet to have any seizure activity.  Temporal Lobe Seizures can be quite tricky, a lot of the time people don't even realize they're having a seizure while they occur.

I'm also on klonopin 1mg 3 times daily, which I know has a bit of a bad rap on this website but it has drastically improved my life over the course of the last 6 months.

I'm by no means an expert on anything, just a bit anecdotal evidence for you!   

Neurologist didn't think much of it now but for other reasons I'm starting to doubt everything about this guy. Also how long have you been on the klonopin?i was taking it for five years and am now on such a low dose so it would make a little sense but seems to coincidental for me

Been on Klonopin 1mg x 3 a day for 6 months, just started Keppra. I've had shit luck with Neurologist, I was diagnosed with TLE through Dr. Abraham and followed up on treatment through one of his friends in my area.  I'm more a fan of Psychiatrist because they listen to what you say, and seem not to judge you for your past. 

• 2 weeks later...