Sleep paralysis

Does anyone experience sleep paralysis that much? I've been getting it quite frequently since I've had HPPD, not sure if it's related though.

Just woke up from my most vivid episode yet. Included sensing my sister walk past the door, seeing the cat jump on the bed next to me and feeling her rub my cheek, then my sister coming back to the door and repeating some words over and over again (hypnagogic paracusia). At some point in that I realised it was an episode of paralysis and weeped. Took quite a few minutes to snap out!

Ive had all kinds of sleep problems since HPPD Including some wild sleep paralysis. In fact my sleep symptoms are the only ones that have rally stuck around. It gets easier and easier to deal with though, my first few episodes left me terrified and unable to go back to sleep but now I can easily fall back asleep. I'm even able to control the hallucinations a bit and turn them into positive experiences recently

I've had this a few times.. Like feeling totally stuck in your body right? Also sometimes in my sleep I've had these weird episodes that are not unlike seizures.. Worst was when I took a lot of Tramadol. But I never really know if it happened because it just feels like a dream mostly. Also sometimes I somehow see "through" my eyelids and I just hallucinate that I'm in a totally different room with distinct object and everything. Fucking weird shit.

Anyway all these things are quite rare, but I have experienced them. I used to get scared of weird shit going on in my body and mind, nowadays I just think: yeah.. whatever. must be HPPD related. I've also I passed out from orthostatic hypotension on to the ground twitiching, and just got back up like nothing happened and continued what I was doing. Honestly I'm just a lot less concerned when weird things like that happen. I remember a few years ago before HPPD I once had my heart racing a mile a minute and I went blind and deaf for 2 minutes or so (after some vigorous and lengthy time on a mechanical winch pulling up this ancient anchor), which freaked the hell out of me for quite some time thereafter. If that were to happen to me now, I'd probably just accept it for what it was and not really worry so much. It's just fucking irritating when people get all worried and ask if you're okay even when they KNOW that you get weird shit like that and that it's no cause for concern (my mother still pulls a "I'm gonna shit my pants" face whenever I get orthostatic hypotension, even though this has been happening daily for a year now).

Hmm.. seems I've been swearing more lately.. Must be the insomnia getting to me. Apologies.

Ive had all kinds of sleep problems since HPPD Including some wild sleep paralysis. In fact my sleep symptoms are the only ones that have rally stuck around. It gets easier and easier to deal with though, my first few episodes left me terrified and unable to go back to sleep but now I can easily fall back asleep. I'm even able to control the hallucinations a bit and turn them into positive experiences recently

Aye, good stuff. Same here, at first it was terrifying, then you get used to it..

I've had this a few times.. Like feeling totally stuck in your body right? Also sometimes in my sleep I've had these weird episodes that are not unlike seizures.. Worst was when I took a lot of Tramadol. But I never really know if it happened because it just feels like a dream mostly. Also sometimes I somehow see "through" my eyelids and I just hallucinate that I'm in a totally different room with distinct object and everything. Fucking weird shit.

Anyway all these things are quite rare, but I have experienced them. I used to get scared of weird shit going on in my body and mind, nowadays I just think: yeah.. whatever. must be HPPD related. I've also I passed out from orthostatic hypotension on to the ground twitiching, and just got back up like nothing happened and continued what I was doing. Honestly I'm just a lot less concerned when weird things like that happen. I remember a few years ago before HPPD I once had my heart racing a mile a minute and I went blind and deaf for 2 minutes or so (after some vigorous and lengthy time on a mechanical winch pulling up this ancient anchor), which freaked the hell out of me for quite some time thereafter. If that were to happen to me now, I'd probably just accept it for what it was and not really worry so much. It's just fucking irritating when people get all worried and ask if you're okay even when they KNOW that you get weird shit like that and that it's no cause for concern (my mother still pulls a "I'm gonna shit my pants" face whenever I get orthostatic hypotension, even though this has been happening daily for a year now).

Hmm.. seems I've been swearing more lately.. Must be the insomnia getting to me. Apologies.

Yeah.. when you wake up but you can't move your body, often accompanied by hypnagogic hallucinations. What do you mean by these weird episodes not unlike seizures? The seeing through the eye lids thing is one of the hypnagogic hallucinations.. and sometimes just sensing things around you.

Particularly, perhaps worth mentioning, I have often had episodes of sleep paralysis following drinking a fair bit of tequila.

Sounds like you were about to faint when you lost your sight/hearing. I lose my hearing frequently when working out.

I recently was out with some friends and had drunk a fair bit.. suddenly my hearing started going mental, then pretty much lost it, sight gradually started going, with some weird sort of hallucinatory embellishments going on. I thought I was losing the plot fully and my HPPD was turning into something more fully fledged.. thankfully someone I was talking to grabbed me some water quick, I drank it and my sight returned in about two minutes. I put it down to HPPD till someone I told a few minutes later said it sounded like I was about to faint... which makes sense, I only had two eggs in the morning, spent a day performing for final exams, then went out and knocked back a sizeable amount of alcohol.

Hmm I don't know if this is confirmation bias talking or not, but this happened to me last night. I took 5mgs of melatonin, which is probably the culprit. Melatonin does some weird shit to your sleep sometimes. Other times it's like you took nothing.

What I mean by those seizure-like episodes is.. Hmm some kind of oneirophrenic state in which I can feel my entire body shaking uncontrollably and I start making "zjjjjeh" sounds with my mouth (yeah.. like actual seizures), yet I'm not fully conscious/lucid so I can't confirm whether it was just a dream or not. As such I've disregarded it really. On the rare occasion that it actually does occur. this happens right before I fall asleep or right before I wake up. It might also just be some residual nightmares of that psychotic episode I once had, which I sadly still remember (unlike most cases of psychosis). I couldn't control my body or my speech, and maybe the dreams are some emotional outing of that still bothering me. It wouldn't surprise me.. was the scariest shit I've ever been through.. No amount of bad trips can amount to that IMO.

i cant deal with melatonin any more. It used to help me sleep but it gave me the most insane dreams I ever had... and coming from someone thats seen the shit i've seen that's saying something :\ .. try some valerian root pills if the melatonin doesnt do the trick for you. note as good sleep inducing wise but lil more mellow on the body and can help with sleep paralysis issues. 

what i love <sarcasm> has to be waking up with black shadow masses either crouching on the bed or floating as a formless mass over my head... or the occasional "hall of doctors" black masses that seem to line up on either side of my bed staring down at me .. there's good reason why science has been linking abduction experiences with sleep paralysis..