Medications for visual snow

Have any of you guys here tried any of the following I've read they are used to treat visual snow and persistent migraine aura

Acetazolamide

valproate 

lamotrigine

topiramate  

furomeside injections or tablets 

imitrex (sumatropin)

I know some are primarily for persistent migraine aura but the conditions all seem so closely linked so maybe some of these could help us like certain drugs cure or are used to treat several conditions

Here are the one's i know of right off the bat:

1. Furosemide (Lasix) is a diuretic [*should be avoided if you are diabetic].

2. Imitrex is a dye/aromatic based triptan (i think) that is used for Migraine treatment and is traditionally an injection because of poor oral availability but has "recently" been made into a more effective pill.

3. Topiramate (Topamax) is used for headaches and psychiatric issues such as bipolar/personality disorders.

The rest i will look up. [i think valproate is for bipolar].

OK

4. Valproic Acid (Depakote) = migraine/epilepsy/bipolar/MDD/mood disorder/schizo.

[personally i have seen people with bipolar on this]

5. Lamotrigine [oh yea I know that: (Lamictal)] " " " " " " " "

6. Acetazolamide *you describe this one [looks interesting] (IDK this one)

-------------------------

#-Might as well add Risperidone and Clozapine.

Yeah I was doing research on what is used for visual snow treatment and found them meds didn't see the one you mentioned but I'll write it down and when I see a doc I'll recommend it along with the others I'm making a list of meds you see worth trying if and when I do try these I'll be sure to keep people posted

Yeah I was doing research on what is used for visual snow treatment and found them meds didn't see the one you mentioned but I'll write it down and when I see a doc I'll recommend it along with the others I'm making a list of meds you see worth trying if and when I do try these I'll be sure to keep people posted

See if your doctor would be comfortable starting you out on a real low dose of Suboxone/buperinorphine or another opiate/opioid. The pupil constriction caused by these drugs lowers by visuals substantially but it might not be for everyone. Give it a shot and see how it goes.

I´ve been taking Lorazepam a couple of times this week, and really tried to examine my visuals in different types of light. And now I can say for sure: Lorazepam reduces VS a bit. It basically reduces the flicker rate, makes it move slower and makes the static flow appear less patterned. But it´s only a little bit of reduction, not really worth using Lorazepam for VS reduction IMO. No effect on other HPPD symptoms, though.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I gave up on the PCT route and made a private appointment. £600. Ouch.

How did you make this appointment?

He told me he does not see patients privately. I have not spoken to him for many months as I kind of gave up seeing him in the end. Plus he sent a very strange letter to my GP.

Let us know how it goes and what he does ....

How did you make this appointment?

He told me he does not see patients privately. I have not spoken to him for many months as I kind of gave up seeing him in the end. Plus he sent a very strange letter to my GP.

Let us know how it goes and what he does ....

What was the strange letter he sent to your gp ? Did he write anything about what appropriate treatment and medications could be used if my gp had something written to them from a professional in this country it might just give them the push to let Me try something!

Did you get prescribed Buperinorphine for HPPD? Or did you take it for something else and noticed benefits?

I was prescribed bupe for opiate addiction maintenance and it worked for awhile with symptom reduction and DP/Dr reduction. But ofcourse with all meds tolerance builds and you have to tkae more and more and buperenorpine is not a drug you want to do this with so i switched to Methadone which isn;t much bettero f an option but it lasts a lot longer, its a full agonist and it gets the job done much better than bupe. If you're realy interested in trying these then give me a pm and i can walk you through the process of getting them through, unfortunately, manipulating the doctor and at some parts straight up lying to them.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a neuroSPECT scan which showed low blood diffusion in the brain. They did a second scan with an injection of Acetazolamide. All brain blood flow was normal. The test was to determine which area(s) would not respond. After the results were seen by mt neurologist and sh talked to the hospital about the results she presribed Acetazolamide. It did not do anything for visuals though.

In an unexpected turn of events, my PCT have agreed to fund me to see Dr. ffytche. I will of course provide a detailed update following my appointment.

That's good news dude I wish you all the best with the trial of keppra and any help dr ffytche may be able to provide. I'm going to need to go back to my doctors surgery and speak to different gp and get them to apply to the pct the last gp I saw just didn't do it be sure tO keep us posted I'd be very interested to hear any news

I am also now on a trial of Keppra, details of which also to be provided in due course.

I had a neuroSPECT scan which showed low blood diffusion in the brain. They did a second scan with an injection of Acetazolamide. All brain blood flow was normal. The test was to determine which area(s) would not respond. After the results were seen by mt neurologist and sh talked to the hospital about the results she presribed Acetazolamide. It did not do anything for visuals though.

Did you notice any effects of this med?

• 2 weeks later...