incidence of HPPD

I don't have any HPPD, but I'm a ocasional hallucinogen user and I'm a bit worried with the HPPD possibility. What is statistically the incidence of this issue? It is set and setting or dose depending? The articles I read don't clerifies well this disorder... thanks!

I think both setting and dose can have an impact on the likeliness of getting hppd, but I bet that the latter has greater influence. I took over an eigth of dried shrooms my first and only time using hallucinogens and that was obviously too much. Be very carefull, if you don't feel like you are benefiting significantly as a person from using halucinogens then stop using them. Don't do ecstacy or lsd because serious damage is quite common from them. If you continue using hallucinogens stick to "safer" ones like shrooms or salvia but I would suggest you stop using them all together.

Be smart, HPPD is hell! You can't imagine how bad derealization is unless you experience it, thank god I only had it briefly. No physical pain can comare to the mental/emotional ones that can come with HPPD so make sure you are willing to risk permanently changing your life before you decide to mess around with drugs again.

Don't risk it. I took mushrooms a few times and got HPPD two months ago. Mine is very mild since I caught it early so I got lucky. Beside, as much as you think psychedlics are fun, a bad trip will be the most horrific thing you will ever experience. I am a very relaxed and calm guy and I had loads of fun everytime I tripped. I thaught bad trips just happened to people who have a bad mental attitude. So one day, I was having the time of my life looking at the patterns on my celing while laying on my bed, then all of the sudden I thought I was dead and just woke up from a hypnotic state that I had been it all my life. It was 6 hours of hell. I was going to call my parents and tell them that I died because I kind of forgott I took mushrooms. Good thing I was too disoriented to operate my phone. I couldn't sleep well for a month after that trip.

The main point is that psychedlics are unpredictable and you can get hppd from it. There are people here who have had HPPD for decades. Just to see what its like to have it, go to the gallary page and see how things look like with sever HPPD.

My take is that you have a higher chance of getting HPPD if you use it very often. Take long breaks between use to let your body metabolise the compound before another trip. LSD is not like cannabis, should not been used frequently.

You can still get HPPD from low/moderate use. It has nothing to do with the metabolization of the drug. What happens is that when you are on psychedelics, there is an excess of neurotrasmitters in your brain. As a result, your brain tries to counteract this by reducing the number of receptors that the neurotransmitters can bind to. It actually has a genetic basis. The genes that code for GABA2 receptors are not expressed as much as they should be. As a result, you have less receptors which keep your inhibitory neurons from preventing your other neurons from firing when they shouldn't be doing anything. This leads to visual snow, after images, etc.

You can still get HPPD from low/moderate use. It has nothing to do with the metabolization of the drug. What happens is that when you are on psychedelics, there is an excess of neurotrasmitters in your brain. As a result, your brain tries to counteract this by reducing the number of receptors that the neurotransmitters can bind to. It actually has a genetic basis. The genes that code for GABA2 receptors are not expressed as much as they should be. As a result, you have less receptors which keep your inhibitory neurons from preventing your other neurons from firing when they shouldn't be doing anything. This leads to visual snow, after images, etc.

but, why the most people don't suffer any hppd? If is an excess of neurotransmitter because drug exposure, why don't achieve hppd all people? Seems like prevalence go from 0,66 to 4,5%. Is this correct?

there are no representative studys.

and everyone i know who took hallucinogenes has some side effects till today.

maybe its only the "normal" floating patterns or breathing walls while starring on it.

i read a publication afew weeks ago where people was tested with strobo light. people who never took psychodelics saw the highest frequenz. people with experiences of psychodelics had a lower and people with HPPD had the lowest.

so maybe everyone has a change in their perception if they used psychodelics but not everyone has it that bad to call it HPPD. if i find the study iam going to post it.

Freatech-

Nobody knows but those of us who have it bad are barely alive and built of something more than mere flesh and bone. Those who couldnt handle it took the easy way out or simply walk the earth and don't know what they have in the more mild of cases as the vast majority of medical practitioners are as unfamiliar with this condition as they are with the concept of going into medicine to cure not to treat or make a fast buck.

Listen to me...

I can't enjoy drinking. Not one bit.

The hangovers are a trip to the 9th plane of hell and the viduals are through the roof. What I wouldn't give to simply sit in a bar, have 3-4 rounds, bullshit with a stranger, a few friends, even chat up a girl.

Not happening all because I ingested about an 1/8 of mushrooms like an idiot and fried my brain but knowing what I know now I'd rather jumP out of a plane without a parachute, break every bone in my body and remain in a body cast for a year than to have lived this way. How you live, work play etc comes natural to you. The rest

If us with HPPD put on a good show, at least those of us able to work but if you haven't gotten HPPD and got lucky enough to have found this site, I'm going to tell you two things.

1. Don't ever do drugs again or risk living a life imprisoned by invisible bars and tortured mentally with anxiety, terror and panic during most of your waking hours for the rest of your life.

2. Tell others about this site and about us.

I was 26 years old when this bullshit nightmare started. I'm now 41 and realize I could have done so much more with my life, the happiness I've lost and the sense of normalcy that has become totally alien to me.

Heed my warning or become the walking dead...